UD 2600 or Hino 268 (used truck decision)

Which one will you buy?

• UD 2600

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Hino 268

Votes: 5 100.0%

• Total voters

atlwww

Rookie Expediter
Have you considered looking for a carrier ?
When you look at purchase price, insurance, upkeep, etc you may be better off trying to hire a carrier.
Take your 4 last shows and figure your real cost if you owned a truck.
Then go to the home page here and call a few mid sized carriers and ask for a rate.
If you're in a good area you may find someone willing to work with you because of your volume.
Or look for a local outfit to work with.
You can experiment as you shop.
This idea gives you the chance to have a bigger or smaller truck tailored to each specific event.
For our business need, hiring someone will be too expensive, rental will come out lower than that.

greasytshirt

Staff member
Mechanic
If you HAD to chose between the two, I'd pick the Hino. This truck will run well for a long time, but it has a few weaknesses that should be addressed before you jump in and start driving. For example: Is there soot in the tailpipe? Stick your finger in there. It should come out relatively clean, maybe a bit of dark smudge. If it's pitch black with soot, then something is malfunctioning.

If you had more of a selection, get something built before 2008. Avoid the price and complexity of the DPF.

Reactions: atlwww

atlwww

Rookie Expediter
If you HAD to chose between the two, I'd pick the Hino. This truck will run well for a long time, but it has a few weaknesses that should be addressed before you jump in and start driving. For example: Is there soot in the tailpipe? Stick your finger in there. It should come out relatively clean, maybe a bit of dark smudge. If it's pitch black with soot, then something is malfunctioning.

If you had more of a selection, get something built before 2008. Avoid the price and complexity of the DPF.

There's a guy selling a fleet of 4 Freightliners, maybe coming from same company. If that's the case, it could mean they selling not because there's something wrong with the truck.

I like this particular one. Everything looks pretty good. Box truck, Forsyth Truck Sales, Inc. Cumming, GA 350907 , I can get it for $34k. What do you think?

BigStickJr

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Offer $29,000.
Seriously.

Anyone else thinking Ryder ?
That's not bad. Particularly if off lease.

atlwww

Rookie Expediter
Offer $29,000.
Seriously.

Anyone else thinking Ryder ?
That's not bad. Particularly if off lease.

I did. He won't sell it. He said best he could do it drop $1000.

Another guy I spoke to about a 09 Hino with 135k miles, just told me earlier he sold it today. We agreed on $35k. Is that a good price?

I will look into Ryder leasing unit. How much can you negotiate with them?

tknight

Veteran Expediter
You gonna stretch the frame and add a sleeper to it Otr your gonna want a sleeper or no tell motels are gonna break yA every 11 hrs of driving!

BigStickJr

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Typical used truck salesman spends most of his time talking to two people.
The guy who can't get $$$
The guy who thinks his trade is worth twice what it's really worth.
You, with $$$ and no trade, should be gold to him as a prospect.
Before you talk price to any dealer, find out what will be added to your negotiated price. Title fees, prep fees,,inspection fees, l need $200 for Vinnie fee, etc.
Then talk price.
I'd still offer him $29,000. All he can do is say no again. Tell him you'll keep looking. The day you find the right truck, he just lost a sale.
And if you aren't doing a log book, learn how.

General tip for others: ANY work done for compensation must be logged.
If you mow hay for money on Saturday, you're supposed to log it.
You may think it's funny unless you wreck the following Tuesday.

atlwww

Rookie Expediter
What's the benefit of Allision 3000 series with push button over 2500HS?

I have two offers:
1. 08 FL M2-106 250 HP 150k miles, which will be $33k.
2. 08 FL m2-106 230k miles 240 HP with Allision 3000 $31k.

atlwww

Rookie Expediter
Typical used truck salesman spends most of his time talking to two people.
The guy who can't get $$$
The guy who thinks his trade is worth twice what it's really worth.
You, with $$$ and no trade, should be gold to him as a prospect.
Before you talk price to any dealer, find out what will be added to your negotiated price. Title fees, prep fees,,inspection fees, l need $200 for Vinnie fee, etc.
Then talk price.
I'd still offer him $29,000. All he can do is say no again. Tell him you'll keep looking. The day you find the right truck, he just lost a sale.
And if you aren't doing a log book, learn how.

General tip for others: ANY work done for compensation must be logged.
If you mow hay for money on Saturday, you're supposed to log it.
You may think it's funny unless you wreck the following Tuesday.
I've been logging whenever I go out of state with my rental truck. Not sure if I do it correctly tho. A friend and a trucker taught me how to do it. What does log book has anything to do with wreckage?

tknight

Veteran Expediter
When they find that your doing other work an not logging it and you now overtime your basically screwed!

BigStickJr

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Atlwww
If this is a typical day
Show opens at 09:00 and you're in a booth until 05:00.
5-8 dinner and load-out.
Technically your workday started at 9 so your 14 hours are up at 11pm.
A drunk comes through the median and hits you at midnite. YOU are GUILTY because you are driving illegally over hours. If he dies, you can be looking at vehicular homicide.
He's drunk but you are at fault. If you weren't there he may have not hit anybody.
Silly, Yes.
Reality Sucks.
No log/false log violations over $1000 fine in some states.
When you have a truck, people like to take your money.

Reactions: tknight

greasytshirt

Staff member
Mechanic
What's the benefit of Allision 3000 series with push button over 2500HS?

I have two offers:
1. 08 FL M2-106 250 HP 150k miles, which will be $33k.
2. 08 FL m2-106 230k miles 240 HP with Allision 3000 $31k.
Which engine?
The Allison 3000 is extremely tough. The 2500 is no joke either, but the 3000 will outlive it.

greasytshirt

Staff member
Mechanic
Both will be Cummins ISB 6.7
Will Allison 3000 consume more fuel than 2500?
(I think) the ISB is reasonable. Cummins made a couple of stinkers, but I don't remember which was which. It might be the ISC I'm thinking of. Regardless, you need to check coolant level frequently. I think it's the ISB that suffered frequent egr cooler failures. If coolant disappears and isn't leaking externally, I immediately suspect the egr cooler. It's expensive, but easy to replace. Other than that, this should be a good engine.

Those two transmissions are essentially equally efficient.

What will make the biggest difference is the ratio of the gears in the rear end. You don't want to be running high rpm down the interstate all day, you'd rather be turning near the torque peak. A numerically high gearset is great if you're doing inner-city delivery, but on the highway you'll be begging for another gear. Which gearset do you want? I don't know. Calculating that takes some time. You need to test drive each truck you're interested in for at least half an hour (preferably longer) including time on the highway. Youll be able to tell, I think.

Reactions: atlwww

atlwww

Rookie Expediter
It will be mostly used for driving on highway. Can the ratio of the gears be adjusted? If so, how?