A little help?

Opel2010

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I have a guy coming for orientation and he needs a ride from Winston-Salem (where the bus drops him) to Kernersville, which is 12 miles away. Anyone in the area? He arrives tomorrow morning at 7 in W-S.

Slo-Ride

Veteran Expediter
which is 12 miles away. He arrives tomorrow morning at 7 in W-S.

You have a full day to arrange to have him picked up. 24 miles round trip, Having someone from the office go grap him not a option?
I understand its his job to get there but, Stepping up and helping him could pay off in the long run if he works out.

Slo-Ride

Veteran Expediter
And then my battery died as I was reading backwards and realized you posted on the 14th. Hope he made it.:D

Opel2010

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
This guy has the shortest working history with us... he did the orientation, took the van, went down to Charlotte to his ex/gf/wife/whatever/she/was where he had a court restraining order, got arrested, abandoned my van. Now, since the carrier actually didn't check his criminal record, and they are the ones that gave me this guy, it wouldn't be their responsibility to bring the van back to the company, where it was before hiring him? After all, we're talking here about 80 miles distance... I have a new driver now, but who's gonna give him a ride to the place where the van is parked? It seems they're waiting for me to come from TX and give him a ride... am I asking them too much?

scottm4211

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Don't take this the wrong way, but after reading some of your posts why on earth are you a fleet owner? You either have the world's worst luck or I don't know what...

Opel2010

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Don't take this the wrong way, but after reading some of your posts why on earth are you a fleet owner? You either have the world's worst luck or I don't know what...
I guess I'm with the wrong carrier... the drivers I recruited myself were all ok, but most of the drivers recruited by this carrier were not verified as they were supposed to...

Opel2010

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
What is your average length of employment ?
How's it compare to other van fleets ?
I have drivers that are with us for over a year now, some quit after 6-7 months, getting their own vans, some simply didn't like the expediting job and quit after few days, weeks, and some were stolen in particular by this carrier - I believe I mentioned this before in a different thread.
But before this guy, which actually didn't quit, just got jailed, I had one that worked three days. During those days he grossed over $900, yet he wasn't happy with that kind of money.

BigStickJr

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Not trying to pick apart your operation.
Just looking at the situation through fresh eyes.,
Do they send losers to other fleets, or do they save them all for you ?
I can't understand a carrier being so inept.

Treadmill

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Not trying to pick apart your operation.
Just looking at the situation through fresh eyes.,
I believe this carrier used to be a decent carrier at one time.

Reactions: Opel2010

Slo-Ride

Veteran Expediter
Seems to me its best to find your own drivers and try to get them from your own area.. Carriers could give a rats a** about your truck or where it is left when the driver bails for what ever reason. If driver is local to you, you stand a better chance of recovering the truck. (Hopefully)
They just want the seat filled and too many carriers, any monkey will do..

Reactions: Opel2010

MikeDamone

Not a Member
Researching
Would it be inappropriate to ask what carrier? Or someone can PM me. Just trying to know who to avoid.

Opel2010

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
It looks they do it that way... I had good drivers which suddenly left for other fleet owners, and I strongly believe the recruiting did it. Once, and I believe I mentioned it before, I met a former driver of mine, driving for another fleet owner and he claimed that he was really busy since he moved to the new F.O. When he was driving for me, they barely gave him few loads. Well, this guy told me that the recruiter asked him to do the switch...

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
You would probably be better served to do your own research on a candidate. If the carrier is moving your drivers to other fleet owners trucks, which is kind of a separate issue, I think I would look for a different carrier.