Syrian refugees in Calgary step up to help Fort McMurray fire evacuees

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
And this is how it should work.....:)

“(Canadians) gave us everything. And now it’s time to return the favour,” she wrote.

A fellow Syrian refugee translated and shared Khanchet’s post with a wider community on the Syrian Refugee Support Group page, and within hours offers of help came in from new Canadians determined to give back to their new home.

“All the Syrians are saying, ‘I’m ready to give, I’m ready to give,’ ” said Saima Jamal, a co-founder of the Syrian Refugee Support Group.

“It’s amazing. You have to understand how little these guys have . . . But they understand the idea of an entire city losing their home. That’s something they can easily relate to. They went through that.”

'We understand what they're feeling': Syrian refugees in Calgary step up to help Fort McMurray fire evacuees

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
ChlCC7GXAAEiXoM.jpg

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
My son was almost caught up in it.....they were doing a show just outside of the Fort and had to pack up and move out....and the dang truck kept stalling out....he has real life pics of the flames....

jujubeans

OVM Project Manager
It's horrible but there is a certain beauty in this photo. Prairie fires are devastating.. We've had a couple up here in the northwest corner of SD.. One actually started by the government that chose to ignore the local ranchers pleas not to burn a prescribed burn on a windy day and they refuse to compensate for the losses. The other started by lightening.

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
zzzz.jpg

Areas north and west of Calgary were under a snowfall warning Saturday evening, with Environment Canada forecasting 10-20 cm for the May long weekend