Cargo Van I got kicked out of a Flying J

xmudman

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
... for sitting too long. Apparently someone complained about the man taking a nap in his vehicle with his (shod) feet sticking out the side door. This is after I spent close to $50 over two days at the restaurant AND bought $45 worth of gas. The kid that confronted me asked me if I was homeless; if so, I could stay if I moved to the ass-end of the parking lot. Well gee, bucko, how would a guy from Pennsylvania prove to the State of Minnesota that he's homeless? PA doesn't issue permits to homeless people, ya know.

Oh well, such is the life of a vanner...

Reactions: brokcanadian

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
I got kicked out of the Loves in Fargo after having sat there for 5 days. They were nice, but said 5 days is enough. Told me to move to the Petro. Not a problem.

The only other time I was kicked out of a truck stop was a Flying J in Salt Lake City, the one PFJ immediately sold after the buyout. I pulled in there at noon, ate lunch in the restaurant, then later ate dinner there, and after dinner bought a new inverter. An hour later the manager kicked me out, said they needed the space for customers. I showed him the $200 receipt. He said, "Restaurant customers." I showed him the two receipts for the meals I ate that day and he said, "Current restaurant customers."

Tool.

xmudman

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Five days at a Love's in a van? I didn't think that was possible! 10-4 on the guy in SLC being a tool.

I'm now at the Pilot in Inver Grove. I vented to the shift manager about what I'd experienced at the other place (Northfield); she was a sweetheart. She also told me that at this store (Inver) they'll sometimes let homeless folk stay a week or more before they run 'em off.

I understand why the stops try to keep people from staying too long; if a person begs or looks/smells bad, or even worse, tries to sustain themselves with criminal activity (like "renting" herself out), that can create a lot of trouble in a hurry. But chasing off a paying customer? Yeah. That's being a tool. And tbh it shoor ain't Minnesota nice, either.

Bako12thMan

New Recruit
Driver
US Navy
You'd think, as many cargo vans show up at these truck stops, they'd realize they're not vagrants, but truck drivers driving really small trucks. It's not like CVs have just showed up on the scene. OTR drivers should be able to park as long as they need, regardless of the size or class of their truck.

BigStickJr

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Sounds like the OP was repositioned, not kicked out.
Maybe smelly feet.
Didn't hear anything about a shower receipt.

And Turtle buying an inverter at a truckstop ?
Who woulda thought....

xmudman

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Maybe smelly feet.
Didn't hear anything about a shower receipt

Mebbe I should've kept the shower receipt. Do my tootsies stink? Not as bad as they did a few months ago. I think it's just the J reacting to some local or retired traveller or whomever, that thinks all people in vans are scuzzballs. Idk and idc.

Reactions: brokcanadian

Opel2010

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Been doing expediting for 20 years, but I never been kicked out from any truck stop. One time only, the Detroiter's security asked me to park along with the big trucks, somewhere at the end of the parking lot, so I moved to the Pilot at exit 18...

brokcanadian

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I try and spend my money anywhere but the truck stop, then I don't get offended if they tell me to leave. It's always cheaper off the beaten path

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
I forgot about another truck stop I got kicked out of. It was the first week they were open, so it may not still be the case where vans are kicked out. But it's a new Flying J about 7 miles west of the Baytown J, TA and Loves. It's at the Sheldon Rd Exit 783 off I-10. It's about half a mile south of the Interstate. Really nice, Arby's, Cinnebon, lots of great PJ Fresh food options.

I filled up out back, went in and got something eat, and then parked out front in the corner and settled in to eat. I hadn't even yet put up the window coverings before a flunky came over and told me that management said no van parking in the lot. I looked around and I was the ONLY vehicle in the entire lot. Not even another one parked in front of the store. I said "Seriously?" He just shrugged. Fine. I moved to Baytown.

An hour later I got the e-mail from PFJ to rate my experience. Oh, they got a full report. So they may have changed their policy by now, I dunno. I haven't been back since.

And there is another one in Houston off I-610 at US 90. It's Exit 24A. I had delivered to the Michelin distribution center and went across the street to the Pilot, got fuel, and went around front to park. The front lot's not particularly small, but it's a busy, busy place with lots of cars and pickups in there which made the lot smaller than it is. As I pulled into a spot on the perimeter an older gentleman in a spiffy PFJ uniform was right there picking up trash or something, and he told me, "I know it sucks, but they'll kick you out after a few minutes. But there is bobtail parking out back where you can park." I went next door to the Loves and they were fine with it.

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
so there is this other forum for truck stop employees where some guy posted saying he is constantly kicking out cargo van flunkys from illegally parking.....

there is nothing in our purchase agreement that gives us the right to an extended stay.... some extend the courtesy, some chose not too....so goes life....

brokcanadian

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
there is nothing in our purchase agreement that gives us the right to an extended stay.... some extend the courtesy, some chose not too....so goes life....
Then people get upset that we've been driving upteen hours. Can't make people happy. I've never been kicked out of a rest stop, at least in the northeast lake Erie region...

Should post a thread here for truck stops to avoid...kinda brings up memories of the police telling me it's illegal to sleep in a vehicle anywhere in America, somebody should tell the thousands of trucks parked at the side of the road at night lol

Reactions: ExFedEx

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
Then people get upset that we've been driving upteen hours. Can't make people happy. I've never been kicked out of a rest stop, at least in the northeast lake Erie region...

Should post a thread here for truck stops to avoid...kinda brings up memories of the police telling me it's illegal to sleep in a vehicle anywhere in America, somebody should tell the thousands of trucks parked at the side of the road at night lol
such a thread would become obsolete the moment its posted....policies change. managers change,
I hit Waterloo Iowa, small busy lot. got asked to move...why? Regional manager coming in and that is his policy....for me...wrong day, wrong location....what can ya do....:)

brokcanadian

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
True. I just enjoy giving places a personal lifetime ban for some reason. Like the Ashtabula pilot...have had more than one argument in there when they demanded I pay for fuel...twice...how did i start the pump without using a credit card, genius?

Reactions: OntarioVanMan

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
True. I just enjoy giving places a personal lifetime ban for some reason. Like the Ashtabula pilot...have had more than one argument in there when they demanded I pay for fuel...twice...how did i start the pump without using a credit card, genius?
why wouldn't you hit the Seneca Indian reserve in NY....? get off the thruway at Silver creek exit go north, turn right on route 5 and bam.....take route 5 right into Buffalo to avoid further tolls....

brokcanadian

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
why wouldn't you hit the Seneca Indian reserve in NY....?
Depended on timing. If you went by enough you'd see that sometimes the reserve is more expensive than Ohio...they set prices according to NY

And in the sprinter I take RT5 all the way, no double toll overheight for me :D