Sprinter power steering

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
Don't go by color. The color doesn't matter as the correct chemistry comes in several colors. G05 coolant can be yellow, dark red red, light red, bluish-green, and even a dark blue. What matters is HOAT. It is just a cooling system that should have specific long life HOAT (hybrid organic acid technology) G05 coolant. You've heard that you can't mix colors with engine coolant, and that's generally true, as that comes from when mixing colors literally meant mixing Ethylene-Glycol coolant and Propylene-Glycol coolant, which is bad, bad, bad, as that turns the coolant into the exact opposite of a corrosion inhibitor. But now that G05 can also be yellow or green or blue, it's OK to mix that with the red that's in there, as long as everything all around is G05.
as a testament to this..when I changed out the engine I also changed out the Rad...with the 696,000 miles on it....it inside while rusted had no corrosion build up on the fins....stick to the list....

brokcanadian

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Revived thread. I'm getting arm pump from driving my sprinter...can take the hands off the wheel and it drives by itself for about 15 min on the straights...is my rack gone, or could LHM reduce power enough to affect steering?

greasytshirt

Staff member
Mechanic
Revived thread. I'm getting arm pump from driving my sprinter...can take the hands off the wheel and it drives by itself for about 15 min on the straights...is my rack gone, or could LHM reduce power enough to affect steering?
LHM should have nothing to do with it because pump flow is directly related to engine speed, not engine output.

Speaking of flow, depending how the rack is blown, there may be no pressure at pump outlet. Pressure=resistance to flow, essentially, so if you're trying to troubleshoot with a gauge in the pump outlet the reading may be misleading.

You can route the return line from the reservoir into a container and look at return flow. If it trickles out, the pump is shot. If it causes an epa superfund site in your driveway, the rack is probably faulty.

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
FWIW, last week I picked up a case of Shell ATF 134 at a Shell distributor in Dayton, OH. I was headed from Michigan to Hopkinsville, KY (near home) so I started calling Shell distributors that I got off Shell's Distributor Locator Website along the way. The distributor in Sydney (Hi-Grade) was out of the ATF 134 (but said if he had some it would be $62 a case, and could have more in 2 days), but he gave me the number of two distributors in Dayton to call. I called the first one he gave me, Mays-Shedd Sales. (The other one he gave me was Englefield Oil. They have several locations in Ohio - Columbus, Dayton, Akron, Newark, several.) They had one case left. It was $62.13 for the case ($5.17 a quart).

The folks at Mays-Shedd were great. When I called them at 3:30 I was still well over an hour away, and they closed at 4:30, but they said they'd wait for me until I got there, which was just before 5:00. I thought that was pretty awesome. They already had it brought up into the office from the warehouse and it was sitting by the door. They took my credit card and I was on my way. They, too, can get whatever you need in a day or two if they don't have it in stock.

Of course, Sayle Oil in Memphis next door to the twin Pilots on Lamar almost always has several cases in stock. I think they're in the low $60 range, as well.

Just another source or two to keep in mind for this stuff.

Reactions: brokcanadian