Where Are Rates Really?

T270_Dreamin

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
But god forbid anyone mention any rates or names of carriers, it will just kill your wallet when one more driver signs up to drive a cargo van for the same carrier as you. :):rolleyes:

Ragman

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
All this hoo ha about rates is all fine and dandy, but in the end, does it really matter what somebody else is getting?

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
All this hoo ha about rates is all fine and dandy, but in the end, does it really matter what somebody else is getting?
apparently...I don't give specific numbers out....they are MY numbers and have no reference to what anyone else's needs are...I make 80% of line haul because I wait to get paid hence the higher %. My carrier doesn't have the expense of paying for a line of credit surcharge from the bank to cover payroll, getting your money within a week or so has a cost that I can afford not to endure......and my Carrier is Crossroads....:)

Ragman

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
apparently...I don't give specific numbers out....they are MY numbers and have no reference to what anyone else's needs are...I make 80% of line haul because I wait to get paid hence the higher %. My carrier doesn't have the expense of paying for a line of credit surcharge from the bank to cover payroll, getting your money within a week or so has a cost that I can afford not to endure......and my Carrier is Crossroads....:)
And in my case, I will not give out anything more than a general range. My rate, either flat or a percent is irrelevant to anybody else. In fact due to doing alot of out and back, it would be a waste of somebody's time to try and duplicate.

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
And in my case, I will not give out anything more than a general range. My rate, either flat or a percent is irrelevant to anybody else. In fact due to doing alot of out and back, it would be a waste of somebody's time to try and duplicate.
exactly...my bottomline rate matches my CPM and what I need specifically...and no reference point to anyone elses...if it fits, it ships...

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
so here is a math quiz of sorts....2 carriers bidding a load....for round number sake lets use $1.00 as the going rate at bid....
Carrier A gets 70% - Carrier B say MY carrier gets 80%....Lucky you gets a whopping .70, I get .80...I win
so carrier A goes with .90 and mine matches that...Carrier A driver now gets .63 a mile I now get .72....I win again...
I could lower the initial bid by .05 and still make more then you and walk away with the load....remember these are just sample numbers....not my fault your carrier has a heavier upfront cost of doing business...:)

Treadmill

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
so here is a math quiz of sorts....2 carriers bidding a load....for round number sake lets use $1.00 as the going rate at bid....
Carrier A gets 70% - Carrier B say MY carrier gets 80%....Lucky you gets a whopping .70, I get .80...I win
so carrier A goes with .90 and mine matches that...Carrier A driver now gets .63 a mile I now get .72....I win again...
I could lower the initial bid by .05 and still make more then you and walk away with the load....remember these are just sample numbers....not my fault your carrier has a heavier upfront cost of doing business...:)
But the question begs is your carrier paying you 100% of the fuel surcharge. As it stands with an all in rate the carrier is subject to some of the fsc according to the percentages. But you say it doesn't matter, sure it matters when your carrier is getting some of your fsc.

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
But the question begs is your carrier paying you 100% of the fuel surcharge. As it stands with an all in rate the carrier is subject to some of the fsc according to the percentages. But you say it doesn't matter, sure it matters when your carrier is getting some of your fsc.
we bid it straight up....all in....as opposed to what your carrier would bid....like 60 cents line haul and 15 cents FSC
we would just bid the .75....just example numbers BTW....

Treadmill

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I think it's pretty uncommon for the OO to get 100% FSC.
Why should the company get any of the fsc. Whose truck ran the freight (company or o/o)? That's the one who should be compensated at 100% otherwise they are stealing your money.

BigStickJr

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
There is no requirement that they pass thru 100%.
I believe both Panther and Fedex have both gotten creative in keeping a share.
XPO, I imagine probably does.

HOW ABOUT YOUR CARRIER ?

Treadmill

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
There is no requirement that they pass thru 100%.
I believe both Panther and Fedex have both gotten creative in keeping a share.
XPO, I imagine probably does.

HOW ABOUT YOUR CARRIER ?
When I was with Landstar, OOIDA had a lawsuit against Landstar regarding their charges and the fsc. Since they got their hand slapped they now follow the rules.

Murraycroexp

Veteran Expediter

We averaged 85.1% to the O/O trucks for April. Not trying to make a point. Just a slight clarification.
One of the few reports I run. Weekly & montly gross margins. Ruthless out there since about Thanksgiving.