Anyone know the name of these companies running penske cube vans?

jelliott

Veteran Expediter
Motor Carrier Executive
US Army
Sometimes this place reminds of that groudn
This problem will persist as long as brokers, carriers and shippers are willing to load these under insured and not in compliance vehicles. I recently heard a very large carrier has taken the stance that "the benefits outweigh the risks" in regards to using under insured vehicles. They run cheaper leaving more profit for the carrier. Profit profit profit.

I can tell you first hand. I have spoken with some of the largest carriers in our industry who use these non compliant carriers. Some simply believe they have enough insurance and legal teams in house to protect themselves. Sad way of looking at business from a few carriers I considered to be the predominate players in our industry. So if you run for number one or two maybe ask your carrier their stance on using these guys and why they do it? I personally don't care what color your truck is. I don't care what your nationality is. What I care about and what I would hope more people would care about is simple....legal, insured and compliant competition. Plain and simple.

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
Sometimes this place reminds of that groudn

I can tell you first hand. I have spoken with some of the largest carriers in our industry who use these non compliant carriers. Some simply believe they have enough insurance and legal teams in house to protect themselves. Sad way of looking at business from a few carriers I considered to be the predominate players in our industry. So if you run for number one or two maybe ask your carrier their stance on using these guys and why they do it? I personally don't care what color your truck is. I don't care what your nationality is. What I care about and what I would hope more people would care about is simple....legal, insured and compliant competition. Plain and simple.
so this is your teams definition of being insured?.....
I was taught about being insurance poor....aka paying insurance on everything and paid so much I couldn't live after insurance payments....Just maybe its you and your team that is over stating the issue?...and being over insured...

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
question would be respectfully....if 3, 4 or 5 other major players think they are correct and legal..don't you think you might be over stating the problem just a bit?....

Grizzly

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
question would be respectfully....if 3, 4 or 5 other major players think they are correct and legal..don't you think you might be over stating the problem just a bit?....

I didn't read anything about being correct & legal. I read that a few of the largest carriers are making so much stinking $$$$ that it's worth the risk. There's a difference ...
I've been paying my few ounces of gold to CIS since day 1.
You either have the compliant insurance or you don't ...

Last edited:

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
I didn't read anything about being correct & legal. I read that a few of the largest carriers are making so much stinking $$$$ that it's worth the risk. There's a difference ...
I've been paying my few ounces of gold to CIS since day 1.
You either got the insurance or you don't ...
well they appear to have insurance...but either not enough or wrong kind...according to a reliable source...who appears to be outnumbered by other respectable carriers....

insurance to be legally and properly covered.

jjoerger

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
US Army
well they appear to have insurance...but either not enough or wrong kind...according to a reliable source...who appears to be outnumbered by other respectable carriers....

Either your legally compliant or your not. If a carrier is willing to use those that are non compliant that's there choice but also there risk.

jelliott

Veteran Expediter
Motor Carrier Executive
US Army
Either your legally compliant or your not. If a carrier is willing to use those that are non compliant that's there choice but also there risk.

Exactly.... The wrong insurance isn't really insurance at all if it doesn't provide the proper required coverage. Some choose to turn a blind eye to the issue in the name of profit. Personally I think they are just as bad as the carriers running fraudulently.

ajakapari

Expert Expediter
I hate paying for insurance all my trucks R under my Commercial and each year instead of going down it goes up for no reason... They just know they can make me pay higher rates... Although our operating cost has gone up , they don't care there is not a lot of insurance company's that do commercial... Such a Monopoly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jelliott

Veteran Expediter
Motor Carrier Executive
US Army
Rates have continued to climb...but from what I read and follow that is mostly due in part to two areas. 1 being the size of awards in the judicial system that have skyrocketed. 2 the insurance industry used to make money on investments and interest more than on insurance believe it or not. Well with interest rates so low, that part has really dried up.

Reactions: ajakapari

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
so what you are saying really..they are under insured?....So out of say the top 10 larger type carriers...30-40% are under insured?....and not even including smaller type carriers...

doesn't DOT do audits on this issue?...or they just do HOS issues?....

scottm4211

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Rates have continued to climb...but from what I read and follow that is mostly due in part to two areas. 1 being the size of awards in the judicial system that have skyrocketed. 2 the insurance industry used to make money on investments and interest more than on insurance believe it or not. Well with interest rates so low, that part has really dried up.
There's a commercial on a local Detroit station here for a law firm that will send a team out and investigate if you're in an accident with a truck. Actually the amount of lawyers commercials is incredible.

jelliott

Veteran Expediter
Motor Carrier Executive
US Army
Not really. A lot of big name insurance companies move in and out of markets based on profitability. We see it in trucking all the time over the years.

jelliott

Veteran Expediter
Motor Carrier Executive
US Army
so what you are saying really..they are under insured?....So out of say the top 10 larger type carriers...30-40% are under insured?....and not even including smaller type carriers...

doesn't DOT do audits on this issue?...or they just do HOS issues?....

No, if you need 1 million dollars of trucking automotive liability insurance and you only buy $25,000 then yes that is under insured. If you get a cheap policy from a company that does not write trucking and thus will deny payment as a non covered event then you really dont have insurance at all in my book.

ajakapari

Expert Expediter
Well we all know who the biggest is... All the other pretty much buy from them... Idk

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
If writing Commercial Insurance was highly profitable there'd be more people offering it.
I.... like you, pay my share of gold to CIS as well....

I am just doing a bit of investigative work here....why 1 carrier thinks they are correct and then they state 3-5 of the top carriers are not complaint but have been in this business twice even 3 times longer then another one...