Big Truck I work on Hino trucks. I'll answer any questions I know the answers to.

Status
Not open for further replies.

greasytshirt

Staff member
Mechanic
Thanks very much. I appreciate the quick reply. How would you get it out of white smoke reduction mode? You've already enlightened me on the exhaust manifold situation in a previous post. Thanks.
Did you get it?

I hope you or one of your guys knows how to get broken bolts out. If you bought it and they are broken, replace them all. Upgraded hardware available.

We've had about a 75% success rate on milling the manifold. When studs break, the manifold warps reeaaaallly bad. A couple milled ones cracked, the others haven't. $50 from machine shop is worth the risk, imo.

towmater

Seasoned Expediter
Fleet Owner
So I'm new here and have a 05 ud 1800hd and a 08 ud 2000 both have the hino jo8e engines.
The 08 is going thru about a gal of coolant every 100miles. It's going in to the over flow and then on to the ground. We have done a egr cooler and a rad cap with no change in it.

The 05 on cold days don't use any water but on on hot days it is doing the same thing but is only about a gal of coolant every 1000miles we had a head job, water pump, rad/cap, t stat, heater core ( the heater core and rad started leaking from to much psi in the system) done on it with no change. So I then made them do a egr cooler and it fixed it. Then 11 months later it started again so I started with the cooler as it was under warrenty still and it fixed it again now it has started again so I'm thinking start with that as it was what fixed it the last 2 times

greasytshirt

Staff member
Mechanic
The egr coolers are very robust and rarely fail. They do fail, however, when run low on coolant.

If you've put a head gasket on the 05 and coolant is still being pushed out, suspect an injector cup.

For the 08, take the head off and have it pressure tested. Leave the cups in the head. If it passes pressure test, put new cups in and reinstall. DON'T HAVE THE HEAD SHAVED. No provision for adjusting idler gear endplay. If it's warped, replace it. Pressure test egr cooler. 30 psi is as high as I would go.

A cooling system combustion gas tester will help you determine if combustion gases (vs atmospheric air) is pushing the coolant out.

towmater

Seasoned Expediter
Fleet Owner
On the 05did have it tested and did do the cups when the head was off.

I was thinking of doing a gas test first on both trucks

greasytshirt

Staff member
Mechanic
On the 05did have it tested and did do the cups when the head was off.

I was thinking of doing a gas test first on both trucks
I agree.

When the cups are installed, a sealant is applied before swaging it in place. I wonder if this was forgotten.

One thing I have not seen but is possible is the compressor head gasket leaking and pushing in air. If it passes the combustion gas test, it's a suspect.

Atmospheric air in the coolant is usually from the water pump.

towmater

Seasoned Expediter
Fleet Owner
I seen a post you did about a gas test kit on amazon the diesel die that you buy how many trucks will it do and how do you use it when a diesel don't have any vac ports to use.

greasytshirt

Staff member
Mechanic
I seen a post you did about a gas test kit on amazon the diesel die that you buy how many trucks will it do and how do you use it when a diesel don't have any vac ports to use.
There's one with a squeeze bulb like a turkey baster.

Youll eventually have to buy more fluid, but one bottle will do around 10 vehicles.

coalminer

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Ok well the other day my truck was acting up bad, so I figured I would just go ahead and replace the scv, what a difference runs a smooth as it ever did, no more surging idles perfect.

So my advice for anyone who runs a hino, whenever you start feeling the engine surge, just replace it, before you end up like the truck greasy talked about earlier in this thread, on the back of a towtruck because it would only idle.

When I get home the next time I'm going to replace the rail limiter just as a precaution.

towmater

Seasoned Expediter
Fleet Owner
So today I did a combustion leak test on it and it did not change from blue (I bought the 2 chamber tester you showed and the diesel die). But in part of the kit was saying to snap the gas pedal and when I did that there was a ton of air bubbles that got pushed out on there own with out pumping the bulb.

greasytshirt

Staff member
Mechanic
So today I did a combustion leak test on it and it did not change from blue (I bought the 2 chamber tester you showed and the diesel die). But in part of the kit was saying to snap the gas pedal and when I did that there was a ton of air bubbles that got pushed out on there own with out pumping the bulb.
I'd consider replacing the water pump. Also I'd devise a way of removing the air compressor from the cooling system and seeing if the bubbles disappear.

AutoFixers

New Recruit
Fleet Owner
We have a 2010 258LP-10 Flatbed tow truck w/ Allison transmission. It went into limp mode, we were able to get it to a shop next door to us, he is limited on his software, but was able to pull a hard fault code for Shift Solenoid #3 open / stuck. We don't know what the exact code was and we believe it is stuck in 3rd gear.

Wondering if there is a wiring diagram available or any thoughts on what's going on / what to do.

greasytshirt

Staff member
Mechanic
We have a 2010 258LP-10 Flatbed tow truck w/ Allison transmission. It went into limp mode, we were able to get it to a shop next door to us, he is limited on his software, but was able to pull a hard fault code for Shift Solenoid #3 open / stuck. We don't know what the exact code was and we believe it is stuck in 3rd gear.

Wondering if there is a wiring diagram available or any thoughts on what's going on / what to do.
I gotta open an Allison book.
Ive replaced several of the internal wiring harnesses. They do fail. Also most Hinos have deep pans. If s shallow filter is used it falls off and all sorts of dumb stuff happens.

Ill need a while to respond in detail.

AutoFixers

New Recruit
Fleet Owner
I gotta open an Allison book.
Ive replaced several of the internal wiring harnesses. They do fail. Also most Hinos have deep pans. If s shallow filter is used it falls off and all sorts of dumb stuff happens.

Ill need a while to respond in detail.

Thank you, I'll update the tech and we'll await your next reply.

Thank you again!

Status
Not open for further replies.