Anyone know the name of these companies running penske cube vans?

bfields115

Seasoned Expediter
If anyone can give the names of these mostly fly by night companies running Penske cube vans mainly, it would be greatly appreciated.

ntimevan

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
If anyone can give the names of these mostly fly by night companies running Penske cube vans mainly, it would be greatly appreciated.
Hate to tell you ... but there is a few signed onto Big Boy carriers that advertise on this Forum site ... i have the pictures to prove it ... some other EO members have seen this pics .... so just saying ... ;)

Reactions: Ftransit

bfields115

Seasoned Expediter
They are not all running illegal weight wise or insurance wise. That's why they can be difficult to pin down. Some are leased to legitimate companies.

Reactions: ntimevan

jelliott

Veteran Expediter
Motor Carrier Executive
US Army
I guess the question is....do you mean what carriers are running as multi model with unmarked vehicles? We have some old penske units that are leased on to us. They are inspected, logo'd, and run within legal weight limits.

xiggi

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Why is it you ask this question? There are people in nice white vans running illegal and people in yellow cube vans running legal. I'm curious about your curiosity?

Reactions: brokcanadian

beachbum

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
How are they running illegal, since, under 10,001 gvwr isn't regulated. You don't need a DOT number or anything. You are just a car running down the road under the law. The only time that changes comes into play when you have to placard a hazmat load, then your a commercial vehicle. You don't need a CDL either till you placard the vehicle then you need a class C CDL.

Reactions: Tracy McKinney

FlyingVan

Staff member
Owner/Operator
How are they running illegal, since, under 10,001 gvwr isn't regulated. You don't need a DOT number or anything. You are just a car running down the road under the law. The only time that changes comes into play when you have to placard a hazmat load, then your a commercial vehicle. You don't need a CDL either till you placard the vehicle then you need a class C CDL.
Because some of these yellow cube vans run over 10k without logs, and some of them without proper insurance.

jelliott

Veteran Expediter
Motor Carrier Executive
US Army
I think the question is really directed to the lack of legal compliance and insurance on the part of carriers. Now this problem tends to be predominantly with the multi carrier which are primarily the unmarked units. Now, the multi model can be done 100% legally and in full compliance....but our research as a company has found very very few examples of it being done that way. Again this is our findings as a company and yes I am the first to say it can be done legally and in compliance. Now, putting that part aside does it still serve to distort the supply and demand equation for the expedite community as a whole.....YES!

Reactions: Moot and Grizzly

xiggi

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
From what I see out here the number of yellow cubes out here has dropped while the number of large unmarked vans has rose dramatically. For the op to start this thread off with yellow cubes questions is somewhat misguided.

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
How are they running illegal, since, under 10,001 gvwr isn't regulated.
As FlyingVan alluded to, many (not all, certainly, but a large percentage) of those dually yellow Penske vans have a GVWR of between 10,001 and 14,000 pounds, but the owners have slapped a very conspicuous GVWR 10,000 or GVWR 9999 on the doors to make people think they're under 10,001 pounds. Open the door and look at the manufacturer plate and the GVWR is usually very different.

Realistically, if the manufacturer's GVWR is less than 10,001 pounds, there's no reason to put that on the doors.

As do many white sprinters.
Define "many." While there are certainly a disturbingly large number of expediters in white Sprinters (and other cargo vans) running without the proper insurance, you can probably count on one hand how many white Sprinters in expediting that run over 10k without logs.

Reactions: tknight

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
I don;t know many of them Yellow ones have disappeared in favour of them plain white ones of the 03-06 variety.....4,000 lbs @ maybe 12 MPG @ .60 a miles makes money not well....but toss a 21 - 24 mpg van into the equation...much different outcome....those guys aren't fools....they know exactly what they are doing...:)