The paper map: Obsolete? Or old school trucker standby still?

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
The video at the bottom of the article is one to watch. I'm not sure why the author enclosed official in quotes, though, as if he's using the word ironically or with some reservation, since the official name for mapmaker is actually cartographer.

Be that as it may, the 15% figure is one that I would expect. I would also expect truckers who started out without digital maps to be slow to ditch them, especially those who are familiar with being able to quickly get to needed information (good overview of an area, bridges, weigh stations, etc.). You can get all that stuff digitally, but it might not be as familiar, quick or easy to get to. You have to use what works best for you.

I bought a Trucker's Atlas when I first started and rarely cracked it open. After 3 or 4 years of never looking at it I no longer even carry it with me. I can quickly and easily get at the same good overview of an area with Google Maps, Streets & Trips and other sources.

TeamCaffee

Administrator
Staff member
Owner/Operator
We will still pull out our Truckers Atlas at times to verify a route or to get a quick overview of our route when we have our computers stowed away. Not used much anymore though.

Ragman

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
I still refer to my paper maps when going somewhere I've never been before just to give me an idea of the route GPS comes up with.

tknight

Veteran Expediter
I wish I had mine in the truck the other day when heads to columbus Indiana way too many closed roads and detours had to actually stop and ask a farmer. My gps kept running me in a circle back to the closed roads grrrrr

Reactions: TeamCaffee