Where Are Rates Really?

ATeam

Retired Expediter
For as long as I've been reading these EO forums, drivers have complained about low rates and talked about days in the past when rates were higher. It's hard to know how much stock to put in such comments because drivers seldom share hard data and you don't always know what their reference point is. One person's high may be another person's low. Also, memories of great loads tend to linger while memories of ordinary loads fade.

That said, I'm curious. In the FedEx Load Board thread a rate of $1.36 per mile for a D-unit is shown and some say that is a respectable rate on the 1,600 mile run shown (including deadhead). Is that where rates are for surface expedite freight these days, in the $1.30 to $1.40 range?

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
If you look at a "average", I would say they is reflective of where the industry is currently at. Shockingly, a good number of carriers are well below that when I look at bid boards. Fortunately, we have been able to stay above those averages but are mindful of where the industry is really at.

Reactions: wimpy007

BigStickJr

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Dave, with all your experiance, what's your take ?
Normal cycle ? Election year ? Over capacity ?
At what point do the realists say the sky is really falling ?

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
I see some headwinds as we have seen from years past. A lot of "moving parts". Election year to some degree, a economy at .05 growth this quarter is not stellar despite what some news outlets like to tell you. Yep, Over capacity coupled with increased operating costs and goofy regulations puts pressure on everything in the transportation industry. Some can manage it, and some can't. Just look at the first quarter of transportation stocks and they are all over the place. Madness:D
But it does make it fun. :)

Bruno

Veteran Expediter
Fleet Owner
US Marines
a rate of $1.36 per mile for a D-unit is shown and some say that is a respectable rate on the 1,600 mile run shown (including deadhead). Is that where rates are for surface expedite freight these days, in the $1.30 to $1.40 range?
This truck is on the flat rate program of $1.25 a mile plus FSC. We still get 60% of hand load, detention time, liftgate charges and so on.

BigStickJr

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Really ?
I'd be leery of putting a D out at $1.25 all miles.
To be excited about less confuses my simple mind.
Oh well, different strokes for different folks.

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
1.25 plus fsc is the loaded rate. The DH is much less. Someone can chime in and give the exact number. I would be mindful that some pay less than that and zero on the dh.

ATeam

Retired Expediter
If you look at a "average", I would say they is reflective of where the industry is currently at. Shockingly, a good number of carriers are well below that when I look at bid boards. ...

What about the occasional "grand-slam" load? In 2013 and before, with our white-glove CR-unit and security clearances, we were usually able to land one or two great loads that turned an OK month into a great month. By great load I mean a coast-to-coast team run that paid $7,000 to $10,000, or a number of shorter runs that paid over $2.50 per mile all miles. Those loads became less frequent when FedEx started running it's company-owned reefer trailers but we found them again after moving to Landstar Express America.

Are such loads still obtainable?

ATeam

Retired Expediter
They pay .75 for DH plus FSC

When FedEx introduced the flat rate system and drivers opted into it, many said their decision was made because the flat rate was paid on ALL miles, including deadhead.

What happened?

jjoerger

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
US Army
There are no more grand slam loads for SE. The flat rate is $1.25 all loaded miles, $.75 all DH miles. FSC is paid all miles. The sad thing is that's not a bad rate right now. Landstar and Load One are, I believe, the only two left on percentage. At Load One I am averaging about the same rate.
Expedite has become all about the miles now.

BigStickJr

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Phil, you guys were at the right place at the right time.
There was money many years prior but you came in when technology made trucking so easy a caveman could do it.
And comfort began reaching new levels.
About the time you left Green had begun it's P T Barnum style of management.
Just by dumb luck I think you got in at a good time and got out at a good time.
Move your expediting career ten years earlier or ten years later and it would have been totally different.

Reactions: rollincoal

ATeam

Retired Expediter
...Just by dumb luck I think you got in at a good time and got out at a good time. Move your expediting career ten years earlier or ten years later and it would have been totally different.

The times then were what they were, just as they are now what they are now. We did not just happen to get into expediting. It wasn't like we had no other options. We left our careers to get into expediting after doing a LOT of research and concluding it was worth a try.

The same applies today, does it not? It has applied all along, has it not? People considering getting in should do a lot of research so if they do get in, it is with eyes open and a plan in hand.

However the times are, be they the glory days of the Roberts era, the days of $5/gallon fuel, the days of the Great Recession or the days now, there are people who worked the trade and left dead broke, while others worked the same trade and the same time and did well.

The difference is not so much about the times or the trade as it is about an expediter's ability accurately gauge the opportunities, set realistic expectations, keep one's shoulder to the wheel, and -- importantly -- manage the money one makes.

That applies to any business. So if you happen to be thinking of getting out, you still have to bring your best self to the game.

Last edited:
Reactions: wimpy007

BigStickJr

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
My point was I wouldn't see you and Diane entering in 1995 with primarily manual transmissions, low quality APUs, etc.
If you were doing research now I don't think your numbers would have you leave careers to enter the expediting industry.
You were lucky that this came around in the time frame it did.
Of course, better money managers will always do better than bad money managers, regardless of the other factors.
So it was a simple statement that your timing was lucky.
So I'm happy for you and others that were able to prosper during those years.

Reactions: OntarioVanMan

ATeam

Retired Expediter
My point was I wouldn't see you and Diane entering in 1995 with primarily manual transmissions, low quality APUs, etc.

You are correct. Cab comfort was a factor in our entry. Sleeper comfort came later when we built a truck of our own. We drove fleet-owner, 77-inch factory sleeper trucks for the first three years. But you never know. If the money was as good in 1995 as the old-salt expediters are are fond of talking about, we might have jumped in then had the opportunity come into view.

If you were doing research now I don't think your numbers would have you leave careers to enter the expediting industry.

I would not rule it out. When we did our research, we spoke to over 20 fleet owners asking them "how much do your best drivers make and what makes them your best drivers?" Armed with that information, we entered the trade and grossed over $20,000 our very first month. (It also helped that FedEx gave us White Glove flags before we hauled our first-ever load and that we were in a fleet owner's White Glove truck.)

If you were a newbie entering the trade today, asking fleet owners those same two questions, what would the fleet owners tell you? Same for recruiters. If you asked them those two questions, what would they say about the best drivers in their fleets? Once you know who the best drivers are, what would they say if you asked them the same questions? By best, I don't mean those who are best known. I mean those who make the most money.

Who are the top money makers today? How much are they making? What are they doing that the average and below-average money makers are not? Once the answers to those questions are known and confirmed with multiple sources, an expediter wannabe who is willing to do what the top performers do can decide if expediting is worth a try.

With all that said, notable changes that developed while we were in the business or shortly after we got out include:

- Fleet owner fleets have gotten larger. At FedEx, when we started, no fleet owner was allowed to run more than five trucks and they all got the same deal. Now it is common to see larger fleet-owner fleets with many carriers and some boast about the special deals they have.

- Flat rate dispatching has become more widespread.

- With innovation and technology, Sylectus went from an out-of-place looking guy presenting his idea in a non-descript booth at MATS into the powerhouse it is today.

- The number of expedite carriers has increased.

- The regulatory burden increased, most notably electronic logging and CSA. Getting a ticket for an inoperative marker light became a big deal that haunts you for three years.

- The cost of credentials went up (higher license fees, fingerprinting for HAZMAT, TWIC card fees, etc.)

- Fuel is higher now than it was when we entered but lower than it's previous highs.

- Fuel surcharge became a factor.

- Telephone booths all but disappeared.

- The Expedite Expo (the expedite industry's defining trade show) grew bigger every year and continues to do so.

- A number of expedite carriers became subsidiaries of larger companies (Roberts to FedEx, Panther to ABF, Express-1 to XPO, maybe more).

- A lot of expedited freight is being moved by less-than-elite trucks (yellow trucks), with those trucks sometimes hired by FedEx (True when we were in, maybe no longer true.)

- A whole new class of freight appeared (TVAL).

- FedEx started running company-owned reefer trailers against owner-operator reefer trucks, giving them preferential dispatch.

- The FedEx dispatch system has been changed multiple times, not always in favor of the driver.

- Shipping alternatives to expedite carriers have developed like next-day LTL.

- Labor rates for truck repair have increased, as has most other costs of operating a truck.

- Custom sleepers have gotten smaller on new expediter trucks.

- By all reports, the industry-wide expedite fleet is increasing in truck age and declining in truck condition.

- The Great Recession drove a number of custom sleeper manufacturers out of business and no new ones have emerged to take their place that I know of.

Those are the changes that come immediately to my mind. Seasoned expediters can no-doubt add to the list.

But notice this. To have an impact on one's emotions and thinking, every one of these changes requires some knowledge about how things used to be.

When Diane and I began researching the business, we saw it through new eyes. The EO Open Forum was flooded with comments about how great things used to be. A number of owner-operators who boasted about their experience said we were certain to fail because we were not real expediters (whatever that meant).

As it turned out, the times were changing (just as they always do) and those who did not change with them got left behind. Seeing the industry with fresh (some say naive) eyes, the past did not matter. We saw the industry as it existed at the time and capitalized on the opportunities that then presented themselves.

In other words, to newbies, it does not matter to us how things used to be. It matters only how things are now.

I have not researched the industry in the present day, but if I wanted to know how to make a go of it now, it would not be learned by looking at how things used to be. It would be learned by looking at how things are now and at what the top money-makers are doing today.

In general, it seems that there is less money to be made than was once the case (smaller sleepers, lower rates, older trucks, higher costs, etc.). But is it not also true that people continue to enter the trade today? And is it not also true that some of them do better than others?

For a newbie looking at this business, there may yet be much in expediting to make one's spirit soar while fattening the wallet too.

Don't let the wails of the old-salts get you down. A number of old-salts thought the world was coming to an end when FedEx gave two inexperienced drivers the White Glove flag. Many of them could not imagine non-truckers like us lasting more than a year in the business.

If you are a new person considering this opportunity today, listen to the voices of experience, of course. But understand also that with the fresh eyes you have, you may well see a path to success to which some old salts may be blind.

As time passes, the value of experience fades. The acquired knowledge of common telephone booth locations gained over the years is irrelevant today. An expediter who knows every major road in every state may be quickly passed over by a carrier who values more a newbie's desire to keep all marker lights functioning. An expediter who remembers dearly the ability to run a couple of loads and take two weeks off has nothing meaningful to say to a newbie who may conclude today that it is best to stay out and run hard for three months before taking time off.

Fresh eyes are not a liability in today's world. Indeed, they may be the very thing one needs to spot the opportunities expediting presents today.

Last edited:

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
"Fresh eyes" can be a liability if one doesn't know what they are looking at. Some of it you answered with your own observations. There is a reason that fleet owners are getting larger. The exposure is much different than the single operator. Margins are much tighter so the fleet owner is better positioned to absorbed those changes. New trucks are running 140k to 170k for a new straight. Add insurance which is considerably higher for one truck, and you have a recipe for disaster if they hit any type of unfortunate incident whether health, long term breakdown (emissions issues), or just some moron that takes the frontend off in a truck stop. Exposure is considerably higher verses years past.
The fleet owner is paying less for insurance, cost of vehicles, repairs, maintenance, and so on verses a one truck operation. Likely runs at a higher rate and gets additional provided benefits depending on the carrier. Kind of like a franchise if you will. Like many businesses, volume has its rewards. Carriers aren't idiots, and over time have recognized those differences.

After doing this for a long time, I can tell you, that folks jumping in and purchasing a truck or even have been in it for awhile, face some headwinds that were not present in years past. I'm a numbers guy so I just keep it simple. Technology has helped control costs, but the reality is you are running at rates that are below what they were 10, 20 years ago. Couple that with much higher operating costs and you have your answer.
We need to have another reefer debate. lol:p

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
when things are going our way...we all, at one point, contract with the best carrier and owner until something changes.:p

A great owner does not make you anymore money then a miserable owner....My biggest money maker carrier turned out to be one of most crooked carriers out there...