HELP expedite

TeamHutch

Expert Expediter
Owner/Operator
Could try finding your own customers, having you own authority you can underbid most carriers and brokers and still make a decent rate. This will take lots of hard work though. Lots of calls and visits and lots on subs and pizzas.

Reactions: davekc

Opel2010

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
So we were doing owner operator expedite with a company. We decided to get are own authority. Now we are finding that expedite loads are not often found on load boards. Very discouraged. What can I do besides go back to Owner Operator?
You need to find few good brokers. With one truck only none of the expediting load boards will accept you. Or go back as O/O...

ttruck

Expert Expediter
Owner/Operator
So we were doing owner operator expedite with a company. We decided to get are own authority. Now we are finding that expedite loads are not often found on load boards. Very discouraged. What can I do besides go back to Owner Operator?
Im not positive on this but maby landstar could help you outi know that they use outside people.

indycolts

Seasoned Expediter
Owner/Operator
3 months new to the business. Decided at a ripe old age to change careers and get into the expedited freight business as an owner operator. A local transportation group I approached for an info share session has allowed me to run for them as an independent contractor allowing me to hit the ground running with immediate income. Part of our arrangement is that I only need to carry non loaded insurance while running under their loaded cargo insurance. Also running under their MC number. Not sure my compensation arrangements are the most favorable but as I stated I'm in the learning stages of this business. There appears to be some very knowledgeable and experienced people that frequent this board so I would like to ask several "newbie" questions and await some replies:

1. Wondering what I should be expecting for the full insurance premium? Is everyone out their using Progressive?

2. Should arrangements contain provisions some form of "deadhead" compensation? Are there others here who do not receive comepnsation for running empty?

3. The company I am affiliated with is not having a problem keeping my wheels turning however I'm pretty sure my deadhead % is fairly high. There have also been several failures to cover part of or entire weekends and that is somewhat problematic. Would I be better off if I bite the bullet on the entire insurance expense as well as having my own MC number? Would my empty miles and inability to get runs covering weekends decrease if affiliated with multile brokers?

I know there are more questions but my tablet is about to power down. I look forward to any answers forthcoming.

Regards

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I'll take a shot a questions 2 and 3.

2. Should arrangements contain provisions some form of "deadhead" compensation? Are there others here who do not receive comepnsation for running empty?

Some carriers pay all deadhead miles, some pay part of the deadhead miles and still others that pay percentage include it in the total linehaul pay.

3. The company I am affiliated with is not having a problem keeping my wheels turning however I'm pretty sure my deadhead % is fairly high. There have also been several failures to cover part of or entire weekends and that is somewhat problematic. Would I be better off if I bite the bullet on the entire insurance expense as well as having my own MC number? Would my empty miles and inability to get runs covering weekends decrease if affiliated with multile brokers?

I don't think it really matters much who you are leased to when it comes to weekend loads. Expedite freight generally slows on weekends. There is less freight movement and move trucks available competing for that freight.

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
If your deadhead percentage of total miles driven is more than 25 percent, it's high.

tknight

Veteran Expediter
If your deadhead percentage of total miles driven is more than 25 percent, it's high.

So it's drive a lot I dead head or sit and watch the crops germinate in the almost sunshine and sit a few more days maybe?
How many days sitting at Walmart qualifies as residency?

Murraycroexp

Veteran Expediter

So a FREE DH of 100 miles and 300 LDD mile run is acceptable? Or is it 100:400? I wasn't a math major. Management major, rather. LOL!! (Figures, right?)

That's one part of all the base rate adjustments I'd have trouble with. Many probably understand why their linehaul rate per mile has been squeezed down in some cases.
Ridiculously high supply and moderate demand will do that in a market.
But what's all those DH policies reflecting?
I hear a lot of 50 or 100 miles free. Or 50 free then 20-30 cpm for DH after that.
I really don't understand how being dispatched on a load and getting $30 for 150 miles of DH is fair for anyone. I know 150 miles doesn't cost a ton on the variables, but come on. $30-$40 to DH 150-250 miles? That's ALWAYS struck me as odd.
Unless the linehaul rate was FAR, FAR higher than the current market rates.
Not a world I choose to live and operate in.
Unless I'm off base and you guys see it different.

Please help me understand.

indycolts

Seasoned Expediter
Owner/Operator
Someone will have to explain to me the fuel surcharge component.

As for DH is that referred to in the business as once load is dispatched the mileage driven to pickup point? There is no doubt that deliveries take you to out of the way locations where freight may be difficult to come by. Yesterday made the decision with Dispatch to relocate from Charlottesville, VA to Burlington, NC to move into a busy area. 180 miles empty driving which resulted in actual pickup out of Burlington, NC but went only 180 miles to Spartanburg, SC. I don't get the load if still sitting in Charlottesville but to drive empty for 180 miles resulting in a 180 mile load seems a bit farfetched.

Who out three looks for their own loads? Curious if it works for you and is it more profitable for you? I know the dispatches working on my behalf look all day but do they see everything? Is it better to have access to multiple load boards?

fastman_1

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Someone will have to explain to me the fuel surcharge component.

As for DH is that referred to in the business as once load is dispatched the mileage driven to pickup point? There is no doubt that deliveries take you to out of the way locations where freight may be difficult to come by. Yesterday made the decision with Dispatch to relocate from Charlottesville, VA to Burlington, NC to move into a busy area. 180 miles empty driving which resulted in actual pickup out of Burlington, NC but went only 180 miles to Spartanburg, SC. I don't get the load if still sitting in Charlottesville but to drive empty for 180 miles resulting in a 180 mile load seems a bit farfetched.

Who out three looks for their own loads? Curious if it works for you and is it more profitable for you? I know the dispatches working on my behalf look all day but do they see everything? Is it better to have access to multiple load boards?
Deadhead: anytime you move empty is deadhead sometimes paid sometimes not, I always give 50 miles before requesting DH pay, carriers have access to many load boards plus also work with 3pl and even 4pl do the see everything? Nope I don't think there is enough eyes looking at all the different load boards, then there is the bid process which is nothing more than a crap shoot.

indycolts

Seasoned Expediter
Owner/Operator
Brokers have tender fees for loads in mind already don't they? Or is this more about the load details and then crafting the bid? I'm hearing from a couple of reliable sources that if on your own you call the broker for a load, a number is given and you either accept or see if you can bump I up a bit. Any truth to that?

Mailer

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
For some vanner owner operators, DH can be beneficial. Everyone's circumstance is different.

Looking at a larger picture, in my circumstance, I need DH, the more the better. We're talking 50% and up here.

If you are going to have a big gross at the end of the year, you will most likely need the tax write off, your DH mileages deduction could save you a lot of those hard earned monies.

Ya for some, DH can be a good thing....Lol.

Treadmill

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
For some vanner owner operators, DH can be beneficial. Everyone's circumstance is different.

Looking at a larger picture, in my circumstance, I need DH, the more the better. We're talking 50% and up here.

If you are going to have a big gross at the end of the year, you will most likely need the tax write off, your DH mileages deduction could save you a lot of those hard earned monies.

Ya for some, DH can be a good thing....Lol.
Welcome back stranger.

geo

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Retired Expediter
US Navy
What city do you live in
As ceva use sub contractor's

geo

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Retired Expediter