Which company to use to help get authority ?

Vtro

Rookie Expediter
For the independent vanners out there that have there own authority im just curious which company have you guys used to help you get it? I was checking out progressive reporting company, they look pretty legitement. And also what insurance company is good to get for the van and cargo? One that understand what we need for expediting would be good. Thanks for the input pence again.

BigStickJr

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
In your business plan how much are you budgeting for insurance ?
Maintainance ?
EDIT--Monthly equipment cost (truck pmt)
Your age, driving record.
Where will vehicle be based ?
Realistic income needs after all business expenses .
This will help the experts predict if you should even attempt this in today's market.

Oh yeah, how much cash reserve and how much can you afford to waste if this thing totally flops ?

Last edited:

tknight

Veteran Expediter
You don't need to waste your money on some company to fill out paper work you can do yourself
I did y own in less that a day and was done with it!

BigStickJr

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
TK, are you suggesting he should spend the money to get authority (with no direct customers) but to save a few bucks by filling out the paperwork himself ?
I believe he's in Ca and insurance there is very costly.

Vtro

Rookie Expediter
Not planning on having a van payment, will have the title to it and paid in full before atrempting anything . Honestly I need to make 1500 a week profit for it to be worth it, otherwise I'll just stick to what I'm doing now

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
Unless you have access to some very exclusive, very high paying freight, and a lot of it, there is simply no way you're going to clear $1500 a week in a van. Don't take my or anyone else here's word for it, just call the brokers you have lined up and ask them.

BigStickJr

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Not to rain on your parade, just trying to be helpful.
There's some smart people on here.
Your simple question should be, Realisticly does anyone believe a guy can Net anywhere close to $75,000 per year in a paid off van.

Vtro

Rookie Expediter
Hey tknight can you give me a list of which exact papers I'm gonna need to fill out just so I have an idea?

Vtro

Rookie Expediter
The brokers are pretty good but I'm not jumping the gun just yet until I have all my ducks in line and will see if it's worth it in the long run

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
The brokers are pretty good but I'm not jumping the gun just yet until I have all my ducks in line and will see if it's worth it in the long run
You've just told us that the deal breaker is whether or not you can net $1500 a week. Clearly, that's the very first duck you should line up. The very first.

xiggi

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
There is not a chance in the world your going to net 75000 a year in a van plain and simple. Even if you had no break downs, hit no deer and spent every single day of the year away from home running freight or sitting waiting for loads to appear it's not going to happen.

If I knew any other languages the answer would be the same in those too.

Last edited:

tknight

Veteran Expediter
TK, are you suggesting he should spend the money to get authority (with no direct customers) but to save a few bucks by filling out the paperwork himself ?
I believe he's in Ca and insurance there is very costly.
No I just saying he can do it himself and save the fees from the paper filers that's all I really think he's dreamin if he thinks he's gonna profit 1500 a week in a van!

akkshole

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
US Air Force
I consider it a GREAT week if I can clear $800 to $1000 after operating costs. Out of that I still have to set aside $ for the not so great weeks and future maintenance...and those great weeks are few and far between.

akkshole

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
US Air Force
As others have said many times...the way to make $1 million in expedite is to start with $2 million

Reactions: Turtle