Is it worth it?

Vtro

Rookie Expediter
Hey everyone I'm new to this board, I used to be a company semi truck driver, and lately I been thinking of getting me a sprinter van and doing expediting work. The biggest attraction for me in getting a cargo van instead of a semi is that fact that you don't have to log and stop at the scales, parking, and of course the fact that I can have some freedom from being a company driver. I know a couple of brokers that I'm thinking of using to find me loads so I probably will go the independent route instead of leasing on to a company, my question is, is it worth it in the long run? What are the rates right now? I figured I would need to get at least a buck a mile at around 2k-2.5k miles a week for it to be worth it. Can I make 1500 bucks a week after expenses? Are those realistic numbers or just wishful thinking ? Lastly I have a question about getting own authority, I been looking through this site for a while for answers but the results have been mixed, i read that some drivers were running without any authority and others were, So which one is it? If you need it do you have to display the usdot/mc number on the van? Would i also need to pay the UCR fees or is that all 26k commercial motor vehicle stuff? Would I be subject to the dot audits, random drug program, etc? Maybe all this hassle isn't worth it for a cargo van and maybe I should just go and get me a semi. Anyways thanks in advance for the info and input, I appreciate it.

Dynamite 1

Staff member
Fleet Owner
NO, NO d did I say NO !!! Seriously, do some reading here on EO. There are some good threads right now being discussed on rates and the over ubundance of vans/sprinters in the market !!!

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Read back about 3 years worth in the General, Newbies and Recruiter forums. You don't have to read every single word but you should read every single thread title and if it sounds remotely relevant to your situation then you should read every single word of that thread.

Vans are a tough way to go because ANYONE with a pulse can be a van operator. Those who make it a career can often do okay. Most make it a job and barely get by or fail. If you are on VERY good terms with multiple brokers you might have 2-2.5k mile weeks some of the time. I wouldn't count on that.

Get the free spreadsheet from OOIDA and plug numbers in for what you expect your van cost and expenses to be. Be pessimistic on both income and expenses meaning put in 10-20% less income than you expect and 10-20% higher expenses than you believe are accurate. If you are satisfied with that bottom line then you may do ok when Murphy sees to it you make less and have a surprise bill.

Good luck.

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
Vans are a tough way to go because ANYONE with a pulse can be a van operator.
That :100:percent.
If you are on VERY good terms with multiple brokers you might have 2-2.5k mile weeks some of the time.
The key word being "some." A year or two ago you were doing really well if you could average 1500 miles a week over the course of a year. Now it's closer to 1000-1200. And a buck a mile? No. A year ago a few carriers were making that, but most drivers were getting 80-90 cents a mile on average. Now it's considerably less on the average.

Can I make 1500 bucks a week after expenses?
In a team straight truck, yes. In a cargo van? No.
Are those realistic numbers or just wishful thinking ?
Neither. It's pure fantasy.

By and large the Rule of Thirds still apply even at these ridiculously low rates, although the driver portion of one Third can take a hit. One Third of the gross revenue goes to operating expenses (fuel, oil, tolls, tires, taxes, etc.), One Third goes to the truck (payment, repair and maintenance, insurance, outfitting, etc.), and the remaining Third goes to the driver. If you want to clear $1500 a week, every week, after expenses, you're gonna need a lotta miles at at least $1 a mile. Realistically, you are going to make about $25,000 a year after expenses in a van, and in the current state of the industry, probably closer to $20,000.

I know a couple of brokers that I'm thinking of using to find me loads...
You need to talk to them at length. Find out how often they can find you loads and at what rates.

If you want to make real money in expediting, it's in a team straight truck. And even those rates are depressed currently.

Reactions: tknight

BigStickJr

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Reading around today, the Load One forum and FedEx Flat Rate threads makes me wonder why people say $1500 a week is so doable in a straight anymore.
Also, if a guy is out 3 and home one, as is/was somewhat typical, that works out to $4500 each 4 weeks.
What good is it if you can't afford to go home ?
Time to think about real jobs. Employment. Benefits.

Reactions: ajakapari

BigStickJr

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Simply, $1.25 X .40=50 cents per paid mile.
For high end stuff maybe 75 cents per loaded mile.
How many miles did straight truck drivers do last year ?
All PAID miles divided by 52 ?
Few will say 3000 paid miles per week.

Last edited: