April @ Team Load One

Dynamite 1

Staff member
Fleet Owner
Good morning all !! Well, the sun is shining this morning unlike yesterday's cold, rainy start and finish. Ready to go, we have seen enough !!

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
I went to pick up a load today, a large cable spool. The shipper apparently thinks a 56-inch diameter spool placed on a 48x48 inch pallet makes it 48 inches wide. No, it doesn't.

jelliott

Veteran Expediter
Motor Carrier Executive
US Army
I went to pick up a load today, a large cable spool. The shipper apparently thinks a 56-inch diameter spool placed on a 48x48 inch pallet makes it 48 inches wide. No, it doesn't.

Must be that new math they teach the kids now. Smh.

DollarSign

Fleet Owner
Owner/Operator
Done that shorty this morning. Hate to turn down work so I took the run. Was wanting something longer and hoping that happens. I have notice it seems to be picking up a bit.

Reactions: ntimevan

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
I got a call today. Ft Worth to Tonawanda, NY. Delivers Tuesday morning. 1400+ miles. Sounds good. Yeah, sure, I'll do that. Then found out it was going to bid at 55 cents a mile, roughly $770 for the run.

"We have to bid that low to get out of Texas."

In order to "get out of Texas," I'll accept that kind of a hit for 200, 300, maybe 400 miles, OK City, Tulsa, Little Rock, even Shreveport, but longer miles like 1400 doesn't mean I'm making more money, it just means I'm just losing more money. With a CPM at 40 cents, that would be running for a salary of 15 cents a mile. $200 for 4 days work.

Early this morning a Sprinter driver I know well (lettered with a large expedite carrier) got a load from Irving, TX to Atlanta that paid 88 cents a mile. A couple of hours ago a Promaster, also lettered with a major carrier, got a load from Plano, TX to Cleveland for 85 cents a mile. So I'm not sure I'm buying into the whole "We have to bid that low to get out of Texas" thing, unless we've become primarily a Sylectus Bid Board Carrier now.

jelliott

Veteran Expediter
Motor Carrier Executive
US Army
We rarely bid anything off the Sylectus board....Most find us too expensive.