1 Million points question :)

Treadmill

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
as far as the escrow goes 90 days is what they can hold it for...because it can take that long for any DOT tickets to surface and then there is any possible freight claims....however some actually use common sense and remember CV's are not HOS and them tickets are not coming...the 90 days were actually stated in the contract...

but that other nonsense of switching driver fee?....that is creative....
I thought it was 45 days per DOT rules. My last carrier who is DOT parinoid followed the DOT rules by the book and then some.

Last edited:

blizzard2014

Veteran Expediter
Driver
Everything is spelled out in your contract for fees that the company can charge you, companies cannot charge you for anything that's not in the contract. Also I do believe the company cannot make you buy insurance from them, period. As for QC fees its in the contract you signed.

None of us are lawyers on here, if you have contract problems, it would be best to see a lawyer and have him read the contract you signed and see if the company is violating contract.

No company I've ever been leased with has charged me for anything that wasn't in the contract.

They don't let drivers purchase their own OAC because drivers will cancel the policy without the carrier knowing. There have been some cases where 3PL's and brokers/shippers have been sued when drivers have been injured on loads. Carriers need to be sure that the drivers are paid up on their OAC, and they do so by working with one insurance provider/agent. Carriers don't have the time to keep tract of whether or nor their drivers are making their insurance premium payments. Also, most drivers don't even bother to read their contracts. It really blows my mind. You have to read the contract before you sign it.

Reactions: Moot

beachbum

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Companies can require you to have insurance, but that cannot make you buy their insurance. You can purchase your worksmans comp thru your state if you want or other work related insurance thru a broker if it satisfies the coverage they are offering. As for suing companies where you got injuried, guess what even if you had insurance you could sue the company. One your not an employee, you are a contractor.

blizzard2014

Veteran Expediter
Driver
Companies can require you to have insurance, but that cannot make you buy their insurance. You can purchase your worksmans comp thru your state if you want or other work related insurance thru a broker if it satisfies the coverage they are offering. As for suing companies where you got injuried, guess what even if you had insurance you could sue the company. One your not an employee, you are a contractor.

Yes, but you have to first go through your own insurance company. The reason why they require you to have OAC is because they don't want to be sued. Even though you sign a waiver of workman's comp, you can still sue. The reason why carriers force their drivers to get their insurance from the same agency is because it makes it easier to monitor the policies. It's not necessarily the carrier trying to gouge the driver.

beachbum

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Believe what you want blizzard, I just know different when it comes to insurance. Most company insurance for anything is higher then if you got it on the open market.​

xiggi

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Maybe they can't make you get the insurance through them but they also don't have to find you loads.

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
Con-Way NOW, Panther and Load One all made it very clear right up front that I could obtain OAC on my own or I could get it through them. There was no pressure either way.

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
It is true that many of the described items are in fact in their contract. And once again, "sins of the past", it is this very crap that puts a wedge between operators and carriers. $200 to change a driver in a truck. WTF?
Carriers that operate in that fashion are a disgrace to the industry. I really wish they would just disappear.

Lawrence

Founder
Staff member
It is true that many of the described items are in fact in their contract. And once again, "sins of the past", it is this very crap that puts a wedge between operators and carriers. $200 to change a driver in a truck. WTF?
Carriers that operate in that fashion are a disgrace to the industry. I really wish they would just disappear.

Time to start naming names?

Reactions: davekc

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
According to the law it's 45 days. My lawyer confirmed it.
It is true that many of the described items are in fact in their contract.
Here is the relevant section of the regulations. It specifies things that must be in the lease, including escrow funds and how long they can keep it before returning it, and how much time can pass before they are required to pay you for the loads once the necessary paperwork has been delivered to the carrier. <wink wink>
Regulations Section

Reactions: davekc and Opel2010

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
No, $200 is an yearly processing fee for each truck. For adding or switching a driver is "only" $50...

For $200 what exactly are they processing? If they are providing plates or something I could see it. Outside of that, pretty much a no. And not quite getting the $50 to switch a driver. You would think they are already qualified with the carrier. As an outsider looking in, it looks like a cash grab.
On a side note, what carrier is this? Or, where are they located?

Reactions: scottm4211