Newbie to Everything

ajakapari

Expert Expediter
This why it is recommended to enter this business with a healthy cash reserve. You made it out there and back. I don't know if the load paid enough after expenses to cover your van note and insurance. Even if it did, where would you be today if you had a major mechanical failure in Valmy, UT?
Valmy , Utah? Where is that? You mean Nevada maybe?

Reactions: Moot

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Yeah, Nevada. Delivered to a gold there once between Christmas and New Years.

JohnMueller

Staff member
Motor Carrier Executive
Safety & Compliance
Carrier Management
Did the dispatcher build in sleep time? - I assume no as you stated you arrived 3 hours early. The carrier you are running for jeopardized your life and the lives of the general public by allowing you to do that run. Exempt from the regulations in a cargo van (<10,000 lbs) or not that type of operation is negligent.

I may be a safety geek but the purpose is to protect everyone. No load is worth jeopardizing your safety and the safety of others.

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
Did the dispatcher build in sleep time? - I assume no as you stated you arrived 3 hours early. The carrier you are running for jeopardized your life and the lives of the general public by allowing you to do that run. Exempt from the regulations in a cargo van (<10,000 lbs) or not that type of operation is negligent.

I may be a safety geek but the purpose is to protect everyone. No load is worth jeopardizing your safety and the safety of others.
my 2 US carriers each one of them has asked me to do long direct loads....I will assume in the OTHER room across from you that is not any different although publically you will deny it happens....
oh yes they ask the appropriate questions and paternize me...
"lets us know if you run into trouble"
Imagine asking a newbee...can you do this?....thats a laugher right there....it should not even be considered nor offered....no matter what a driver says....from a liability position...
Bob Tracey RIP Bob..was the only safety director that used to track our loads at the OLD Express 1....and he'd give the dispatch the whatfor ....not on his watch for a solo to pull that stunt....

of course this is just personal observation and experience over many years....of listening to the corporate speak. No disrespect meant John.

Last edited:
Reactions: artie

ttruck

Expert Expediter
Owner/Operator
I have reread this topic a couple times ... something smells .. the timeline ...the trip ... and returned from load .. all in around 7 days .... i am guessing the little short guy from under the Bridge showed up again .....
dam them trolls

ttruck

Expert Expediter
Owner/Operator
And a danger to all others on the road.
people that drive like this scare me ive have driven back in the day 28 or so hrs but ive been driving for a long time it has taken a toll on me,legs are sore after 4 or so hrs on the road, cant run like I used to at 66 yrs young ive seen the light at the end of the tunnel and its getting brighter,,must be getting closer to the end of it I wouldn't attempt it now a days even in the car,wth dot rules most nites im asleep by 9,10 pm if you can find a spot, I hope that these drivers wake up and tell dispatch that its not gonna happen the roads are crazy as it is.

Dynamite 1

Staff member
Fleet Owner
All of the bantering aside, this is the continuing issue, there is always someone desperate who will give in and do something like this. We need more who come into this that are not desperate !!!!!!!!!!!!

JohnMueller

Staff member
Motor Carrier Executive
Safety & Compliance
Carrier Management
my 2 US carriers each one of them has asked me to do long direct loads....I will assume in the OTHER room across from you that is not any different although publically you will deny it happens....
oh yes they ask the appropriate questions and paternize me...
"lets us know if you run into trouble"
Imagine asking a newbee...can you do this?....thats a laugher right there....it should not even be considered nor offered....no matter what a driver says....from a liability position...
Bob Tracey RIP Bob..was the only safety director that used to track our loads at the OLD Express 1....and he'd give the dispatch the whatfor ....not on his watch for a solo to pull that stunt....

of course this is just personal observation and experience over many years....of listening to the corporate speak. No disrespect meant John.

OVM (Ken);

I don't take too much personal here on EO and could never take anything personal from a guy that wears really bad plaid shorts!

I'm sure my best efforts to establish very fair safety policies get over-ridden by folks on occasion who refuse to follow my recommendations and choose to do what they wish, regardless of whose lives or assets they may be jeopardizing. It takes all kinds.

I always enjoy your tag line with the cigarettes. We quit about the same time so it gives me an idea of how much better off I am since I quit each time I read a post by you. Be safe out there and take care - I appreciate you very much.

John

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
OVM (Ken);

I don't take too much personal here on EO and could never take anything personal from a guy that wears really bad plaid shorts!

I'm sure my best efforts to establish very fair safety policies get over-ridden by folks on occasion who refuse to follow my recommendations and choose to do what they wish, regardless of whose lives or assets they may be jeopardizing. It takes all kinds.

I always enjoy your tag line with the cigarettes. We quit about the same time so it gives me an idea of how much better off I am since I quit each time I read a post by you. Be safe out there and take care - I appreciate you very much.

John
The same to you... It's all about the business never personal :)

indycolts

Seasoned Expediter
Owner/Operator
Newbie here also but a little more seasoned than Masood maybe. Accepted a load from Amsterdam, NY to Dallas, TX a couple weeks ago. Longest distance driven yet for one delivery, approximately 25 hour long run but given about 14 hour cushion. Set out with Texarkana as goal and in 26 hours had knocked off 1500 miles albeit with a nap in the middle. That strategy allowed for a good night in a hotel, did it intentionally to ensure good sleep, 3 hours to finish delivery and be prepared in case a run was found same day of delivery. Fortunately they came through with a run from Grapevine, TX to Eagan, Minnesota.

Unfortunately as the experience on this board has stated if you get left hung out to dry when needing to get home a potential great week turns into only a good week when you deadhead home 1200 miles. Finding out quickly that when you choose this as a career you need to make "loose" commitments back home that allow you to make good business decisions. Had the option to go Chicago to Texas loaded but felt committed to get back home which is upstate NY and geographically friendly loads did not materialize.

Have gained a lot of respect for the "professional drivers" out there regardless of what they are driving. I'm enjoying my choice but simply put, driving for a living ain't easy.