Carrier Corp. leaving the U.S.

TDave

Expert Expediter
Unfortunately, the Genie is out of the bottle.

The only way to return these jobs to America is to lower the cost of US labor. Which will have a devastating impact on the standard of living.

Trump talks about taxing imports. Not sure it will work but it's worth a try.

That will just start a trade war. Countries will just tax our exports. The only way we will get those jobs back will be taking pay cuts.

TDave

Expert Expediter
The union membership will not stoop that low.

Why and how this is all of the unions fault? This sounds like a lot of republican speak to me

Union Members Summary

Only 11.7% of the total work force in the US are in unions. Numbers go down if you just count the private sector at 6.7%. Seems like the other 88.3% and 93.3% would be more to blame. Or is it more of corporate greed? It seems to me that everyone seems to say I can't make any less but everyone else should lol. NAFTA and other "free" trade agreements work great with countries that have the same level of standard of living not so much when the standard of living is well below. Trade agreements like NAFTA is supposed to raise the standard of living for the host countries just that the companies that are leaving us aren't really raising there wages in other countries, Thats why most of the unions are against jobs moving out of the country.

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
Unions are part of the problem, but not the biggest one. You can add heavy regulations, Obamacare, and a whole host of other issues. Lot of headwinds for many businesses. For the Hillary and Bernie supporters, better wake up with this "tax the rich" madness. We currently have the highest corporate tax now. Sure some cheat and dodge, but it isn't even close to the majority. Start raising it and these companies just start setting up shop overseas. Look at GE recently. Raised the state tax and they moved the building and 400 employees into a neighboring state.

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
[QUOTE="hedgehog, post: 768298, member: 844"
Trump talks about taxing imports. [/QUOTE]
And Sanders talks about a $15/hour minimum wage.

TDave

Expert Expediter
Unions are part of the problem, but not the biggest one. You can add heavy regulations, Obamacare, and a whole host of other issues. Lot of headwinds for many businesses. For the Hillary and Bernie supporters, better wake up with this "tax the rich" madness. We currently have the highest corporate tax now. Sure some cheat and dodge, but it isn't even close to the majority. Start raising it and these companies just start setting up shop overseas. Look at GE recently. Raised the state tax and they moved the building and 400 employees into a neighboring state.

These are good political talking points but thats what they are talking points. Sure there are some other contributing factors and yes some companies have moved around in the states and I bet there might be a few American jobs that have moved to Canada also. But like OVM has said cash is king. If I am a CEO of a company that employs 1000 Americans that make $20/hr and I can move my company to Mexico where I can cut my labor cost by 50% I'm going to do that. Thats what we have been seeing the last 20 years or so. I don't really think we can stem that tide at all.

akkshole

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
US Air Force
Eventually there won't be anyone making enough to buy their goods...middle class drives the economy. Greedy corporations will run out of customers eventually.

Reactions: TDave

Slo-Ride

Veteran Expediter
Unions are part of the problem, but not the biggest one. You can add heavy regulations, Obamacare, and a whole host of other issues. Lot of headwinds for many businesses.

Lots of regulations we are not even aware of until it effects us directly.
Some of you know this, but most of you don't.
Last Sept. my 34 year old adult son was involved in a mining accident leaving him nearly 100% paralyzed with a spinal cord injury. Prior to surgery he was given less then a 2% chance of ever sitting up or walking again. He recently came back home from the Hospital after a lengthy stay. Seeing that this was a workman's comp case and prior to him being allowed to live in my home and due to some sort of Disability Act, my entire house had to be renovated to government standards. Inside and out..He wanted to move back because it would be impossible or nearly impossible to live on his own for some time to come.
So now in steps the gov, and flips my entire house upside down with renovations thru out the house.. Every thing from floor coverings, new exit doors added, all interior doors widened, walk in shower,,taller toilets, wiring rerouted, Ramps, every entry way has a ramp. Not your everyday ramp but these are custom cut 5x5 aluminum platforms leading out of the house onto a downward ramp then onto another 5x5 platform then a final ramp to ground level. My yard looks like a boat dock with ramps leading in all directions. Come this spring a sidewalk will be built around the entire perimeter of the house,just in-case he has to walk around it. Custom bed, hostipal bed that I would be proud to display in my living room.. Build to his specs to fit him, came in at $7000 because someone said he has to have it. $6500 wheel chair because he has to have it. These are not items he asks for but items someone says he has to have. We didn't ask for household renovations and the only thing we could stop from happening was our kitchen counter tops. We had to fight them on that and only won that argument because we finally made them realize that he can't stand so he won't use them for awhile. He currently gets transported across the state for 3 days of in-house therapy then gets returned home on Friday nights. This transporter is assigned to him even if he wants to go the movie house.
Now the kicker, at therapy he is currently learning all over again to walk up/down steps, walk on carpet, everything we take for granted he has to learn all over again because the of the spinal injury. He is making good progress, actually great progress but point is I'm trying to make is we couldn't stop all this work because someone said it had to be done. Whether or not it was needed or not.
His boss and family visit him often and we talk about this, he is one of the biggest privately owned gravel producers in Mid- Michigan and he states if he could take his gravel out of Michigan he would in a heart beat. Regulations are killing him.

Steady Eddie

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
You folks are missing the big picture. Those lost jobs will be filled via the trucking and expediting industry. We all know those are, ahi em, high paying jobs. Come on over, the water is fine. Expo should be a banner year this year.