Ford Transit Fuel Mileage

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
The following are mileage stats for my Ford Transit 350, high roof, extended length, 3.5 EcoBlaster, 3.31 rears for October, November, December 2015 and January 2016:

Miles 23,339

Gallons 1,357.8

m.p.g. 17.2

p.p.g. $1.93

Espar B4 installed in November.

FlyingVan

Staff member
Owner/Operator
That's about 11.2 cents a mile in fuel costs. Thanks.

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

billg27

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Are you somehow taking into account the fuel burned by the Espar? Or would your overall fuel mileage be better if that fuel was not drawn from your fuel tank?

I know that my dash fuel mileage can show 17+ mpg, but after running my Espar all weekend, the dash gauge changes to 16+ when I start the van to run again.

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Are you somehow taking into account the fuel burned by the Espar? Or would your overall fuel mileage be better if that fuel was not drawn from your fuel tank?
These numbers are total miles run divided by total gallons used. I'm not going to try and figure fuel used by the Espar so yeah, without an Espar my mpg would be slightly better.

I know that my dash fuel mileage can show 17+ mpg, but after running my Espar all weekend, the dash gauge changes to 16+ when I start the van to run again.
I don't pay much attention to my computer mpg except while driving to give me a snapshot of my performance. I do reset all data for Trip A each time I fuel. As of January 1st, I quit resetting the data for Trip B and will let it accumulate for the whole year. I have found the computer usually shows 1 to 2 miles per gallon better than actual number crunching statistics.

tknight

Veteran Expediter
These numbers are total miles run divided by total gallons used. I'm not going to try and figure fuel used by the Espar so yeah, without an Espar my mpg would be slightly better.

I don't pay much attention to my computer mpg except while driving to give me a snapshot of my performance. I do reset all data for Trip A each time I fuel. As of January 1st, I quit resetting the data for Trip B and will let it accumulate for the whole year. I have found the computer usually shows 1 to 2 miles per gallon better than actual number crunching statistics.

Must have had some vw programmers.

Reactions: neilblack

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
The following are mileage stats for my Ford Transit 350, high roof, extended length, 3.5 EcoBlaster, 3.31 rears for October, 2015 - March, 2016:

Miles 35,275

Gallons 2045.7

m.p.g. 17.2

Espar B4 installed in November.

The miles per gallon are holding steady at 17.2. I hope to see some slight improvement with the warmer weather. Maybe 18.0 mpg. Traditionally my best months for fuel economy are April, May, September and October.

akkshole

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
US Air Force
35k October to March? Did u take 2 to 3 months off? I bought promaster in October 2015 2500 101" high, 140" cargo length v6 gas, avg 16.5 to 17.3 so far, 61,845 miles currently.

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator

That reminds me....there was another well known member quoting the vans computer kept saying he was getting 17 and change....when everyone I knew said they were getting 19-20....when he did an old fashion check....he was indeed getting the 20...never trust the computer...

Reactions: vanman10x2

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
35k October to March? Did u take 2 to 3 months off? I bought promaster in October 2015 2500 101" high, 140" cargo length v6 gas, avg 16.5 to 17.3 so far, 61,845 miles currently.
I took most of February off. Went to Florida, by plane.

Ftransit

Veteran Expediter
Driver
Our T250 Transit now has 101+k now....two transmission flushes, 1 guibo replaced, avg 18mpg.3 new tires we are putting spare into rotation.

KevinMc

New Recruit
Researching
I looked at the service schedule, it calls for trans flush at 100k, has there been a reason for the 2 trans flushes? I have 65k no maintenance issues (knock on wood) just putting on second set of tires.

Ftransit

Veteran Expediter
Driver
I looked at the service schedule, it calls for trans flush at 100k, has there been a reason for the 2 trans flushes? I have 65k no maintenance issues (knock on wood) just putting on second set of tires.
Yes we experienced 'rumble strip' vibrations at 42k & again at 90k.