Banking on the road

uriykir

Active Expediter
Looking to get my straight truck on the road in a month or so, just wondering if you guys bank with a certain bank that is widespread across the US. I'm guessing Chase or Bank of America, but I hear many people hate BOA. Just looking at your guys input.

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Check with your current bank for an app that let's you deposit checks etc. from your phone. That may be all you need.

Reactions: neilblack

uriykir

Active Expediter
Ok I do have a local bank with app on my phone, just hoping I won't have any issues that I'll need to get to a physical branch. But I guess it should be fine, thanks guys.

Reactions: scottm4211

fastman_1

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I use PNC, no fee for out of network ATMs, and they Refund the fees that other banks charge for ATMs, everything else I can do thru the app.

ntimevan

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Old school here ... No credit cards here ..... no bank phone apps ... no internet bank connection (transfers) .. i use my Debit card and cash .... get paid every Monday direct deposit ..... simple and safe ... with fraud protection .... Credit card FREE since 2003 ...

BIGTRAIN

Expert Expediter
Owner/Operator
I'm old school as well . I use FIFTH third as I mainly stay in the Midwest . Credit card for emergencies , cash for everything else . Whatever you do , don't pull your truck into their parking lot to go on for a withdrawal.

Reactions: ntimevan

Treadmill

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Ok I do have a local bank with app on my phone, just hoping I won't have any issues that I'll need to get to a physical branch. But I guess it should be fine, thanks guys.
Have never had to go to a branch for anything while on the road. Been doing this for close to 20 yrs now. I would suggest to use your bank card that is tied to your checking account for every transaction that you can and only keep a small amount of cash for tolls that don't except I-Pass or EZ-Pass. The bank card transaction will be recorded on your statements to back up your taxes.

Reactions: Turtle and ntimevan

Dallen323

Seasoned Expediter
Driver
If you use a smaller local bank. And use a card tied to your account make sure you let them know your traveling often. My bank will sometimes not allow an atm withdrawal if I have a transaction one day then try to withdraw from an atm 900 miles away the,next day. Its a fraud protection thing. Its fixed,with a phone call but of course it never happens at a convenient time lol

scottm4211

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
If you use a smaller local bank. And use a card tied to your account make sure you let them know your traveling often. My bank will sometimes not allow an atm withdrawal if I have a transaction one day then try to withdraw from an atm 900 miles away the,next day. Its a fraud protection thing. Its fixed,with a phone call but of course it never happens at a convenient time lol
Chase also does that sometimes but rather than put a hold on your account they text or email you to authorize any "suspicious" transactions. But it's done after the fact.

Reactions: Treadmill

Treadmill

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Chase also does that sometimes but rather than put a hold on your account they text or email you to authorize any "suspicious" transactions. But it's done after the fact.
They've done that to me sometimes especially if I haven't been to Canada in a while and then I go and guess what happens? I get a call or an email regarding the last 4 transactions if I authorized them. As was mentioned earlier all it takes is a verification by me and all is good.

Reactions: scottm4211

coalminer

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
One other option is to use a credit union that is part of the shared branching system. I use a credit union in Florida, but have an app on my phone that will find credit unions that are part of the co-op that I can access my account at. Comes in handy when you are on the road, hundreds of miles from home and get a call from the dreaded fraud department saying that suspicious activity has been noticed on my debit card and they need to cancel it....

Reactions: danthewolf00

scottm4211

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
They've done that to me sometimes especially if I haven't been to Canada in a while and then I go and guess what happens? I get a call or an email regarding the last 4 transactions if I authorized them. As was mentioned earlier all it takes is a verification by me and all is good.
Happens mainly when I get duty free fuel at ambassador bridge

Reactions: Treadmill

DollarSign

Fleet Owner
Owner/Operator
This year ive started using my Capital One Venture card for everything. They have my checking account # and when I need to pay it off just use the automated machine and its paid off. Also I build airline miles so for those emergency need to get home fast or just want to take a vacation. With all the fruad going on today, its just one step further away from my checking account..

Reactions: TDave

TeamCaffee

Administrator
Staff member
Owner/Operator
We use a small local bank for our checking accounts, house loan, and our truck loan. Using this little bank has paid off for us over the years as I get a real person when I call and need something, we were surprised when we purchased our house that they won out with their low interest rates and terms. Then when we purchased this truck we thought what the heck we will give them a shot. They normally do not loan on commercial trucks but with our past history they came through with a great rate.

The little bank is growing and they now have a phone app and they know we are truck drivers that travel. Do we sometimes have a hiccup yes but I know when I need to call the problem will immediately be solved as they know us personally.

I would not trade our bank for anything!