POLL How Do You Keep Warm?

How do you keep warm in the winter?

• Total voters

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
Just touch the plastic/vinyl/metal around where the thermostat is mounted and see how cold it is. The plastic housing where the seat belt retractor is, probably not a good spot. Bare metal, probably not a good spot.

Reactions: OntarioVanMan

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
If you did your own install and saw the instructions. There is a solid grey wire from the wall mounted thermostat in the wire harness. If you disconnect that wire the heater defaults to using its internal thermostat located at the air intake of the Espar. Mine didn't work right either. I cut that wire and it now holds temp very well. I set mine at 76 and it keeps the van warm under all conditions. It's an easy remedy.
View attachment 12901
Ray's partner Bryan did the install. I never got a manual, just the diagnostic sheet for the controller.

My controller is mounted about 4' above the floor on an insulated wall. The Espar unit is mounted on the floor under my bed. Currently I have the heat outlet tube aimed up at 90°, pointing toward the controller and it still puts out heat without shutting down. There is no extension on the cold air side. It draws air right at floor level.

bubblehead

Veteran Expediter
I chose "other" because we use several of the options. We have a Mr. Buddy Heater, Coleman Heater, Lasko Electric Heater with remote, APU heater, a Webasto heater (which caught on fire) that is temporarily deactivated. Electrical sources comes from, shore power, apu, or Honda generator. Propane is from a 20lb, 5lb, and the little 1lb tanks.

After losing all diesel power from a previous truck and having to be rescued from a State Trooper in -27f temperatures, we added the propane heaters because propane will vaporize down to -44f.

bigdogg

Expert Expediter
Owner/Operator
Van is insulated. Buddy heater with 20lb tank. I keep it on low and sleep on an air mattress with 4 inch foam mattress with a sleeping bag. The coldest outside so far has been 18 degrees and still comfy warm inside

wayneygogo

Seasoned Expediter
Spray foam insulation. champion 4000 watt. 1500 watt heaters. I feel like a warm cinnamon bun straight out of the oven.

xmudman

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Propane, sleeping bag, moving blanket, sweats. The sweats keep me alive after the wife steals the bag & blanket :p

jaxonviking

Expert Expediter
Keep warm? Is it June already? Reflectix + foam board. Lots and lots of layers -- 20 degree bag and another over the top of that. I've done <10 degrees and was cozy enough. When it hits 5 I hit the motel though. Mr. Buddy heater is there for dinking around between runs, but I don't use it at night.

Reactions: ntimevan

wayneygogo

Seasoned Expediter
I use my gerbils. I have a gerbil farm. I have 100 spinning wheels, mini generators hooked in series. Yes these are rescued gerbils I have a gerbil extraction business on the side, if you're interested I would franchise. the gerbil extraction unit is $149, the Animal rights people have approved it. Business is real good in San Francisco

Windsor

Veteran Expediter
I have better luck with the south American hairless shrue. With the new laws that past a lot of wedding shops can order them for you. I hear!

Tim Xpedites

Expert Expediter
Owner/Operator
Van is insulated. Buddy heater with 20lb tank. I keep it on low and sleep on an air mattress with 4 inch foam mattress with a sleeping bag. The coldest outside so far has been 18 degrees and still comfy warm inside
You sleep ALL NIGHT with it on? How many hrs straight thru?