Fold Out, Wall Mount Bed

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Screw that lol, if your 5'10 have a matress made that's 6'4" you'll love the extra space in the long run.
I'm 5'10' and have a custom mattress that is 70" long or 5'10". My bed is installed cross-wise and is hinged to a walk/crawl through bulkhead behind the driver's seat. 70 inches isn't quite enough for me to stretch out. It works fine when loaded but when empty I like to stretch out. I added an extra sheet of loose plywood that is stored under the mattress. When I sleep length-wise, I rotate the plywood 90º and bridge it between the existing plywood platform and my E-track load stop that is the same height as my bed, 16". I fill the gap between, a difference of about 8" with a large pillow and place my other two sleeping pillows on top of that.
The amount of time you gotta nap with freight on board is minimal in the big picture
This set up works for me and I have incorporated this in my last van as well as my current van. I often find myself sleeping for a few hours at the consignee waiting for them to open or sleeping on longer runs. I need to have a bed. Whether its 70 inches cross-wise or fully stretched out length-wise. I don't sleep in the driver's seat or on top of freight.
That sleeping bent is for young folks. Get the right vehicle and put some thought into it and you should be able to stretch out with two skids on board.
You would need a vehicle with at least 14 feet of cargo floor space to accommodate two pallets and a six foot bed.

Reactions: don111 and xiggi

Windsor

Veteran Expediter
The more I look at that pull out sofa/bed the more I like it. I wonder how well its constructed. It's not the cheapest option I've seen.

TruckingSurv

Seasoned Expediter
Murphy Beds are semi-common in custom sleepers from Bolt and others on tractors or large straight trucks, don't know if there is room in a van with freight on board, the demo video is in a Sprinter motor home, but they aren't trying to also accommodate a couple skids while sleeping..

xiggi

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I'm 5'10' and have a custom mattress that is 70" long or 5'10". My bed is installed cross-wise and is hinged to a walk/crawl through bulkhead behind the driver's seat. 70 inches isn't quite enough for me to stretch out. It works fine when loaded but when empty I like to stretch out. I added an extra sheet of loose plywood that is stored under the mattress. When I sleep length-wise, I rotate the plywood 90º and bridge it between the existing plywood platform and my E-track load stop that is the same height as my bed, 16". I fill the gap between, a difference of about 8" with a large pillow and place my other two sleeping pillows on top of that.

This set up works for me and I have incorporated this in my last van as well as my current van. I often find myself sleeping for a few hours at the consignee waiting for them to open or sleeping on longer runs. I need to have a bed. Whether its 70 inches cross-wise or fully stretched out length-wise. I don't sleep in the driver's seat or on top of freight.

You would need a vehicle with at least 14 feet of cargo floor space to accommodate two pallets and a six foot bed.
Plus you can stand up now, double bonus! I like the idea, I can keep my bed with two skids but three I lose it. Because of my cabinet crossways doesn't work.

Reactions: Moot

vandriver2

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Yes, I do. One reason is, the second load I ever had in expediting was in a 2-skid Ford van carrying 2 skids and no place to sleep on a run from Chicago to San Francisco. I ended up getting a motel room twice to sleep. I learned rather quickly that wouldn't work long term. Most of the time it didn't matter, as I'd pick up a load, deliver it, and then have plenty of room for the airbed. Over the next several months, however, I found myself turning down longer runs where I knew I would need to get some sleep along the way, and that wouldn't work long term, either.

But the kicker was when I had a load from Davenport, IA to Burlington, IA, picked up Friday afternoon and couldn't deliver until Monday, so no place to sleep for 3 nights. And it was only one skid, so no room to inflate the airbed. I tried curling up on the cargo deck but would wake up every half hour aching from the hard deck. I went and got a foam mat to lay down to sleep on, didn't work. Ended up getting a motel room for the other two nights. That's when I decided that no matter what, I was going to have a permanent place to sleep, loaded or empty. I haven't regretted it once.
I learned that I wanted a permanent bunk as well be able to haul 3 skids....AFTER driving tractor trailer and loving my permanent bed, shelves, heat, air after a long day's driving. I bet if I hadn't had THAT experience I wouldn't have know what I'd want or need as quickly. Plus I drove an Owner's Sprinter prior to purchasing my own and he had nothing in this Sprinter....no cot, no bunk, nothing. I learned quickly and am thankful for all of those experiences.