What does a Class 8 truck really cost?

Lawrence

Founder
Staff member

What does a Class 8 truck really cost?

If you’ve driven a new Class 8 truck off a dealership lot recently, you – or someone to whom you should be very thankful – probably stroked a check for between $113,000 (day cab) and $125,000 (sleeper).

That’s pretty much the going rate for big rigs these days according to a study presented Monday at Heavy Duty Aftermarket Dialogue in Las Vegas by MacKay and Company’s John Blodgett and David Kalvelage.

The buck doesn’t stop there. You already knew that..............Read More...

Reactions: neilblack

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
At 150k to 170k it has turned into a expensive hobby lol. Back in the day, a new FL70 with a Bentz sleeper was 60k. Use to buy them out of the Massilion sand lot from Dan Shultz who worked for Knoxville. Seems like just yesterday. o_O

tknight

Veteran Expediter
At 150k to 170k it has turned into a expensive hobby lol. Back in the day, a new FL70 with a Bentz sleeper was 60k. Use to buy them out of the Massilion sand lot from Dan Shultz who worked for Knoxville. Seems like just yesterday. o_O

That was more than yesterday that's for sure I'm in a st8 and just had an offer for 1.10 a mile 450 miles I hung up on Em! I don't think I've ever been so insulted!

Dynamite 1

Staff member
Fleet Owner

You are rite on the money. Just ball park priced one, frtlnr.112, dd13, allison, 100 bolt slpr., apu, roof air & espar,
160,000 to 165,000. WOW !!!!!!!!

Reactions: fatboy1

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
That was more than yesterday that's for sure I'm in a st8 and just had an offer for 1.10 a mile 450 miles I hung up on Em! I don't think I've ever been so insulted!

That is funny. We were getting more than that back then.

Reactions: fatboy1

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
You are rite on the money. Just ball park priced one, frtlnr.112, dd13, allison, 100 bolt slpr., apu, roof air & espar,
160,000 to 165,000. WOW !!!!!!!!

Welcome to my world. lol. Wait until you have to insure it. :eek:

Dynamite 1

Staff member
Fleet Owner
I was ball parking based on the value of my other units. They are fully covered by CIS above the normal !!

Reactions: davekc

BigStickJr

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
I was ball parking based on the value of my other units. They are fully covered by CIS above the normal !!
Are you guessing that if a $50,000 truck is $215 per month, that a $150,000 truck would be $645 per month ?
It'd be a good learning point to see how close that formula is.
And to learn the cost of that vehicle being driven by the owner vs being put into a fleet setting.

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
Are you guessing that if a $50,000 truck is $215 per month, that a $150,000 truck would be $645 per month ?
And to learn the cost of that vehicle being driven by the owner vs being put into a fleet setting.

Fleet insurance will be cheaper on a per vehicle estimate because you are insuring more vehicles.

BigStickJr

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
I see that in a fleet like Load-1.
Was wondering how that would apply to a small fleet like Dynamites. Same concept ?
Thinking about going from one to five reefers.

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
I see that in a fleet like Load-1.
Was wondering how that would apply to a small fleet like Dynamites. Same concept ?
Thinking about going from one to five reefers.

Assuming you are going for a price match. New reefers will be more as the actual truck value would be higher.

BigStickJr

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
I understand the higher the value the higher the cost.
Does the first $50,000 of coverage cost the same as the third $50,000 of coverage ?
Am I less of a risk driving my own unit than units 2 thru 5 that will have I/C drivers in them ?

Dynamite 1

Staff member
Fleet Owner
I dont think so. Mainly based on the drivers record and the cost of the policy is on the value and is not in increments.

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
Driving records, length of policy, credit rating, and the volume of trucks will drive what you pay.
Assuming all other items are equal.

tknight

Veteran Expediter
Pretty sure bet this is not how insurance is priced!