Courier work with Cargo Van

Majid

Seasoned Expediter
Owner/Operator
Hi, I've just moved to grand rapids MI from the UK england. I have been reading your posts regarding courier work. I have experience as I was an owner operator with my own sprinter Van in england. I need some advice how it work here.

I have found prestige expedite or prestige in GR, how are they in terms of pay and I'll be using a cargo van? I also been looking into a company called Sameday Delivery they do owner operator.

I'm really looking for just multi drops like just around Grand rapids or i dont mind delivering just MI.

Any help much appreciated

Thanks

zorry

Veteran Expediter
Well Welcome aboard, Mate.
Can't help you with the courier thing but someone will be here in a bit to help you along.
Anyone seen Englishlady ?

Majid

Seasoned Expediter
Owner/Operator
Thanks zorry for the reply back. Does Englishlady know a bit or two about this type of work?

Jamin_Joe

Seasoned Expediter
My standard size e250 was a bit tihht, but worked well. Some people drove an suv and others box trucks. It depends on the routes they have open and what you feel confortable with. The medical side required ability to drive in all sorts of weather due to carrying hospital supplies. The freight side wasnt so strict due to many consignees being closed during inclumate weather.

Majid

Seasoned Expediter
Owner/Operator
You must be talking about the comany Prestige here. What about Sameday Delivery in Grand Rapids? What are the pays like? Also how does the percentages work?
My standard size e250 was a bit tihht, but worked well. Some people drove an suv and others box trucks. It depends on the routes they have open and what you feel confortable with. The medical side required ability to drive in all sorts of weather due to carrying hospital supplies. The freight side wasnt so strict due to many consignees being closed during inclumate weather.

Jamin_Joe

Seasoned Expediter
In richmond it was $2 for 4 pieces and $1/piece for over with 40 cents per mile. The 4 piece rate and mile pay was per shipment. Medical was a flat rate, forgot that payment. That side would haveworked for me better, since all you needed to do was stack the totes according to stop. The load plan was according to numeric stop number.

Personally, they are an ok outfit in my opinion. I just have problems when I dont have everything where I need it. Finding missing stuff drives me nuts, like things where they are supposed to be, construction co-workers used to tease me about that.

Last edited:

Majid

Seasoned Expediter
Owner/Operator
Thanks for the info. On average how many parcels were you delivering a day? Also was the pay over $500 a week?

Regarding finding missing stuff don't you just sort your parcels before you leave the depot/distribution center so then it becomes easy for you when you deliver.

In richmond it was $2 for 4 pieces and $1/piece for over with 40 cents per mile. The 4 piece rate and mile pay was per shipment. Medical was a flat rate, forgot that payment. That side would haveworked for me better, since all you needed to do was stack the totes according to stop. The load plan was according to numeric stop number.

Personally, they are an ok outfit in my opinion. I just have problems when I dont have everything where I need it. Finding missing stuff drives me nuts, like things where they are supposed to be, construction co-workers used to tease me about that.

Jamin_Joe

Seasoned Expediter
Normal runs arevaround 30 shipments, which are close together. The problem was finding all the freight in the warehouse. If you hustle, you can get over 500. Wasnt a bad gig, just wasnt a good fit for me.

DRIVERDUDE

Seasoned Expediter
If you can get on a rush board you will make more money and less wear and tear on your van. I worked for Courier Express in Atlanta and they do a lot of route work. Most of it was office supplies and copier paper. Those guys would leave out in the morning with their bumpers dragging and tires bowed out which is not good for your van. They also do drug shipments for drug stores and that wasn't bad. Too much labor to suit me so I went to the rush board. More money, less work but the pay still sucks. I now do air freight, and other expediting jobs. Even in the slow times I might do about 3 runs per week and make 2 to 3 times the money without fighting the ATL traffic which REALLY sux. Try to hook up with some air freight companies and I think you will be much happier and make more money

Lawrence

Founder
Staff member
FYI, the term "Courier" used in the UK is same as "expedite freight" here in North America. I learned this working with a company based in London. When we think of "courier" here - we think of local, package or envelope delivery. In the UK - it's expedite freight that goes on a Sprinter or van.

Majid

Seasoned Expediter
Owner/Operator
Ok when you say air freight do they do small parcels? And what type air freight companies in terms of major are good to contract from. I hope its all same day delivery. Doing 3 runs a week is that in just one state and make at least 500+? Sorry I'm from England what is a Rush Board?

Thanks Have a good day.
If you can get on a rush board you will make more money and less wear and tear on your van. I worked for Courier Express in Atlanta and they do a lot of route work. Most of it was office supplies and copier paper. Those guys would leave out in the morning with their bumpers dragging and tires bowed out which is not good for your van. They also do drug shipments for drug stores and that wasn't bad. Too much labor to suit me so I went to the rush board. More money, less work but the pay still sucks. I now do air freight, and other expediting jobs. Even in the slow times I might do about 3 runs per week and make 2 to 3 times the money without fighting the ATL traffic which REALLY sux. Try to hook up with some air freight companies and I think you will be much happier and make more money

Majid

Seasoned Expediter
Owner/Operator
When you worked in the UK were you just using a sprinter or Van and doing multi-drop delivery? I used to work for companies called DPD/Interlink express and fedex as an independent courier.

Thanks Have a good day
FYI, the term "Courier" used in the UK is same as "expedite freight" here in North America. I learned this working with a company based in London. When we think of "courier" here - we think of local, package or envelope delivery. In the UK - it's expedite freight that goes on a Sprinter or van.

DRIVERDUDE

Seasoned Expediter
Air freight can be 1 small box up to 2 skids that might weigh 1500 lbs. The three runs per week are in state and out of state mostly in the southeast. A rush board is "on call". You are given local runs by a dispatcher when you are in the area of the pick up. $500 -600 is average in a large city like Atlanta for courier work so after gas you may clear $3-400 per week. I average $8-1200 / week going out of town and home most nights.

wannatruck

Seasoned Expediter
That sounds ominous Joe....

Try companies like Pilot, Seko, Associated Global, AIT. (All freight forwarders) They are the kind of companies I used to run for. Ask about specials and overflows. Specials are where the money is. Usually one way freight, but enough to cover the deadhead back too.

Try some of the local line haul companies too, they usually have local freight that needs delivered.

M. Moy

New Recruit
Researching
Great information , I will start team driving , only have Class B license with less than 6 months O/O but have over 20 yrs. delivering.