Fedx cc

dant

Seasoned Expediter
Whats the pro and cons of fedx cc if i make the switch with a d unit whats avg. Miles and pay and would i need hazmat and do i have to go canada

jansiemoo

Seasoned Expediter
Yes on hazmat, yes on ability to go to Canada- eg: passport, fastcard- but not forced dispatch. A D-unit is a wide ranging classification, a flat rate truck is paid $1+fsc (I think) currently. They seem to be getting tons of miles. A refer unit will make more per mile, but sit more. Will you be solo or team? Any extra equipment in your truck?
Bill's right, you need to check out the FedEx forum. It's read-only, but that's a good place to start...then try clicking on the ads for FedEx to get ahold of a recruiter. Good luck

MissKat

Expert Expediter
Just be careful if the d unit you want to drive is in new York. And its never been smoked in.

Posted with my Droid EO Forum App

Greg336

Active Expediter
Hello, I'm a cargo van O/O, I was just with Fedex CC for a month and a half and couldn't get away fast enough. I didn't make one "penny" while I was with them, in fact I owed them money because I had my van insurance through them and all of the profits were going into the dead head miles afterwards. Once you deleiver you have to DH to one of there "Hub city's", you can't just wait for a load where your at, you could sit there for ever. Next all of there dispatch is all automated, you never talk to a live person when getting a load and don't even think about trying to get a load home, they told me they don't have anything in there system for getting you where you need to be at any time. I had a load that went from Metro Airport in Detroit to Ottawa On. I told them I had to be back home that weekend. I picked up the load on Wednesday and delievered Thursday morning. Then you have to DH to one of there "Hub cities" to try and get another load, I DH to Toronto 234 miles MT. I waited until 2pm on Friday and then had to DH home. That trip paid me $504 and with the round trip I spent $600 in fuel. Sure they are a world wide company but in my opinion they don't care for there drives at all. If this is a clue they hire on at least 50 new drivers a week, that includes cargo vans, straight trucks, semi's and teams but 50 new drivers a week? Stay clear of Fedex CC unless you want to go broke.

Reactions: m&ttruckers

EnglishLady

Veteran Expediter
Hello, I'm a cargo van O/O, I was just with Fedex CC for a month and a half and couldn't get away fast enough. I didn't make one "penny" while I was with them, in fact I owed them money because I had my van insurance through them and all of the profits were going into the dead head miles afterwards. Once you deleiver you have to DH to one of there "Hub city's", you can't just wait for a load where your at, you could sit there for ever. Next all of there dispatch is all automated, you never talk to a live person when getting a load and don't even think about trying to get a load home, they told me they don't have anything in there system for getting you where you need to be at any time. I had a load that went from Metro Airport in Detroit to Ottawa On. I told them I had to be back home that weekend. I picked up the load on Wednesday and delievered Thursday morning. Then you have to DH to one of there "Hub cities" to try and get another load, I DH to Toronto 234 miles MT. I waited until 2pm on Friday and then had to DH home. That trip paid me $504 and with the round trip I spent $600 in fuel. Sure they are a world wide company but in my opinion they don't care for there drives at all. If this is a clue they hire on at least 50 new drivers a week, that includes cargo vans, straight trucks, semi's and teams but 50 new drivers a week? Stay clear of Fedex CC unless you want to go broke.

I thought you said you just left Load 1 :confused:

tumbleweeds

Expert Expediter
Owner/Operator
Talk to Todd Furguson at FedEx. He is one of the recruiters and I have found him to be honest. We have done okay with the Fed since we signed on. But everyone is different. We don't try to get home so that has not been a problem. If you work for them you will find your own way. There is quite a bit of Deadhead on some runs. Some we turn down because of it. Some we take if it puts us in a good area for another run. After a load they offer two choices of locations to deadhead to. They will pay the FSC and a few cents to move. Sometimes they offer two areas that don't move much freight and so we check out each area on the phone list and try to find the best for us. Some times its better to move on your own dime to a different area. You will find what works best for you. And you will find ways to work the system to your advantage. From what I have been told, they are still looking for a few C and D units. If you have DOD clearance it is a big plus. Good luck!

Deville

Not a Member
DOD clearance is for teams only. FDCC is a revoling door. They have weekly recuriting classes. The avg time spend at FDCC was roughly 7 or 8 months, i've heard with the new flat rate program that time has dropped to 3 to 5months.

FDCC isn't a terrible place to contract for, you have to remember that you don't work for them, it's not there job to do anything for you as far as getting you home or even pay for DH or tolls. However, there are times when the freight is hot enough that they need you & they will pay you accordingly.

Just remember it's a business.

TeamCaffee

Administrator
Staff member
Owner/Operator
FedEx pays FSC on all dispatched miles and they pay a percentage of tolls on dispatched runs.

The key to decide whether to accept or decline a load is to look at the pay and look at the miles. If the pay is high enough to meet your requirements for pay per mile or what you need for day pay accept the load.

When we look at a load we look at pickup and delivery location and the route in between. If the load has tolls, is heavy, is in mountainous terrain our pay per mile will go up a couple cents. We do not need much more to pay the tolls or the extra fuel the load might need due to being heavy. Look at each load on an individual basis and make a decision that fits your business needs.

As a D truck we do not care how many dead head miles are on a load and to us the more dead head empty miles the better. Our fuel mileage is optimized when we are not loaded. We look at total miles to total pay.

FedEx is a non directional dispatch company and if we need to be somewhere at a certain time are date we accept loads accordingly.

Last edited:
Reactions: QuickPUD

jersat

Expert Expediter
Maybe they pay tolls for some of the of insiders . I have had more runs with out any tolls being paid that I have with them being paid. I as dispatch one time about tolls and she to me that Fedex would be putting a tariff on the shipper if they (shipper) had to pay the tolls . Then I ask her if that was the case the what is FedEx doing to the contractors. She said well some they don't charge.

Now you must ask yourself does FedEx really care that much about the contractors . You decide for yourself.

As someone once told me that FedEx is the best of the worst.

Doggie Daddy

Veteran Expediter

All I can say Greg is that you really must be clueless about Fedex. You say that after delivery "you have to DH to one of there hub cities" Fedex doesn't have "hub cities", they only send you suggested relocation areas and no one is forcing you to go anywhere after you are empty.

Also it is not Fedex's job to make sure that you get a load to your home area if you have to be there. It's your responsibility to figure out what loads to take or not take to get you where you need to be.

Then you say that their dispatch is all automated,and that you never talk to a live person. Do you not own a cell phone ? or at anyplace where you have access to a phone ? You could call in and discuss any load offer you are given with dispatch.

Sounds to me like you should have paid attention in orientation instead of sitting there wondering when the next break was going to be. And people wonder why they fail in this business.

Doggie Daddy

Veteran Expediter
Maybe they pay tolls for some of the of insiders . I have had more runs with out any tolls being paid that I have with them being paid. I as dispatch one time about tolls and she to me that Fedex would be putting a tariff on the shipper if they (shipper) had to pay the tolls . Then I ask her if that was the case the what is FedEx doing to the contractors. She said well some they don't charge.

Now you must ask yourself does FedEx really care that much about the contractors . You decide for yourself.

As someone once told me that FedEx is the best of the worst.

Here's another one that just doesn't get it.

When you get a load offer, it really doesn't matter if the shipper is paying tolls or not, just as it doesn't matter what amount of money is in what column of the load offer.

All that matters is that when you divide the total pay by the total miles and come up with a per mile figure, is it a rate that you would take to do the load. (including tolls) This isn't rocket science people, it's expediting.

BillChaffey

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
US Navy
Excuse me.
Are you insinuating that as an O\O or driver for a Owner. A person(s) should understand what a Load offer entails? That said O\O, driver should have some idea of what is expected of them to make a living in this business?.
Think for themselves, take responsibility?. No wonder I'm sitting at home.:p

Doggie Daddy

Veteran Expediter
Excuse me.
Are you insinuating that as an O\O or driver for a Owner. A person(s) should understand what a Load offer entails? That said O\O, driver should have some idea of what is expected of them to make a living in this business?.
Think for themselves, take responsibility?. No wonder I'm sitting at home.:p

YES!!!, err no, I mean I don't know. :confused::confused:

FOTR2001

Seasoned Expediter
Here's another one that just doesn't get it.

When you get a load offer, it really doesn't matter if the shipper is paying tolls or not, just as it doesn't matter what amount of money is in what column of the load offer.

All that matters is that when you divide the total pay by the total miles and come up with a per mile figure, is it a rate that you would take to do the load. (including tolls) This isn't rocket science people, it's expediting.

DoggieDaddy, after spending alot of time reading about expediting here and other source's you're 100% right about it all..Sometimes I wonder if people who really wanta get into expediting have studyed??? the business??? I spended Oct 2010 thur Truck driving school and still read the notes of this business..to me Fedex CC is a good company..just have to work/Drive like a Businessman to be good in Expediting...after I got A-CDL went back to college and took Small Business Management ....Now I'am talking with a Owner-Operator with Fedex CC.....And looking for Fleet-Owner willing to teach me the trade more.....( God Is My PILOT)....;) God Bless!!

Reactions: Fortune04511

JohnMueller

Staff member
Motor Carrier Executive
Safety & Compliance
Carrier Management
Doggie Daddy;

Well said. Period.

Thanks,

Fortune04511

New Recruit
Researching
DoggieDaddy, after spending alot of time reading about expediting here and other source's you're 100% right about it all..Sometimes I wonder if people who really wanta get into expediting have studyed??? the business??? I spended Oct 2010 thur Truck driving school and still read the notes of this business..to me Fedex CC is a good company..just have to work/Drive like a Businessman to be good in Expediting...after I got A-CDL went back to college and took Small Business Management ....Now I'am talking with a Owner-Operator with Fedex CC.....And looking for Fleet-Owner willing to teach me the trade more.....( God Is My PILOT)....;) God Bless!!

Last edited by a moderator: