fedup

[email protected]

Rookie Expediter
I've been with FedEx Custom Critical for two years now and it's getting ridiculous. I live in Jacksonville, FL and when I get ready to head out for 30 days I go to Savannah, GA to get started only to end up sitting for at least a day before I can get a run. Last month I took a run to little rock, AR and once I delivered I just came back to Memphis, TN and was told there were no loads so I went to Nashville and then told the same thing so I went to Louisville, KY before I was able to get a run. That was almost 500 miles I had to dead head on my fuel with no fuel surcharge just to get back running again. This is a new year and they are starting off the same way. How are they doing at landstar? I'm just a driver and I have a co driver looking to find a new owner to drive for.

JohnMueller

Staff member
Motor Carrier Executive
Safety & Compliance
Carrier Management
MLJSR1;

Your current situation can sometimes be the nature of Expedited freight. We are the ambulance service of the trucking industry, so someone has to have that need for time-sensitive, plant shut down, red hot type freight before they call the expedite company for you to pick up a load. Think about it, how many times have you picked up at the same plant, on the same day, with a load going to the same place over the two years you've been expediting? There are no guarantees in this business of number of loads - not even for the carrier you are leased onto.

Hang in there it will get better. Research the costs involved and other aspects of switching carriers prior to jumping ship.

Thanks,

Reactions: ZTexp

Doggie Daddy

Veteran Expediter
I never thought it was a good idea to "chase" freight. How long did you wait in Little Rock, Memphis, and Nashville till you moved?

Sent from my SCH-I545 using EO Forums mobile app

danthewolf00

Veteran Expediter
Unless it's the weekend I give a city 24 hours UNLESS it's a known black hole for frieght then I move acordingly.

letsdrive

Seasoned Expediter
I usually wait 24hrs then call dispatch and shake the tree myself see if they are actively looking for a load for me that generally seems to work but then again sometimes there just isn't any freight

29GHOST

Rookie Expediter
I have been with Fed ex CC for almost a year now. I have had my ups and my downs but if you ask anyone thats just expediting. I have learned this one the hard way. If you are a solo driver and you take something over night or something that delivers around 300 or 400 am you can for get about a load the next day Fed ex tends to forget about you. I am with the others on the sit and wait 24 hours before I consider moving the truck at my expense unless it is a known dead zone. Consider this they have trucks everywhere so leaving one place to go to another where trucks are already sitting does not do you much good cause your still at the back of the line waiting just something to consider

TeamCaffee

Administrator
Staff member
Owner/Operator
January is a typically a slow month and this is where patience and knowing freight lanes is beneficial. Do you have any other drivers you can talk to that run the same operation as you? We found that talking to others that were a team and had the same or less endorsements as us could offer the best information on where to go or sit and wait for freight. If you drive a dry box and talk to a driver of a reefer they have different freight and as such their freight lanes were not the same as ours.

We also found when calling in and asking that questions they would say there were no loads and there probably were not any loads but the question is are they expecting any loads in that area?

QuickPUD

Active Expediter
Researching
MLJSR1;

Your current situation can sometimes be the nature of Expedited freight. We are the ambulance service of the trucking industry, so someone has to have that need for time-sensitive, plant shut down, red hot type freight before they call the expedite company for you to pick up a load. Think about it, how many times have you picked up at the same plant, on the same day, with a load going to the same place over the two years you've been expediting? There are no guarantees in this business of number of loads - not even for the carrier you are leased onto.

Hang in there it will get better. Research the costs involved and other aspects of switching carriers prior to jumping ship.

Thanks,

John,

This is just my observation about MLJSR1:

It seems like he is in location for expediting that really could go either way (Jacksonville, FL). I understand from another veteran expediter that the area north of I - 40 and east of the Mississippi is the best freight areas.

In contrast, I live in Northern Indiana, which is much more in the thick of expediting freight zones than MLJSR1 is. I am new to this industry. Does this make sense?

Last edited:

QuickPUD

Active Expediter
Researching
Since January is a slow month, what would be a good month to get started in expediting?

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
My observation is that even after 2 years with FedEx he hasn't bothered to learn more about expediting. If you don't learn anything in 2 years, you should at least learn that chasing freight is a waste of time and money. I can also observe that he joined EO in January, too start this thread, and hasn't made another post since, hasn't even visited here since February. If you want to learn, you kinda have to make the effort.

JohnMueller

Staff member
Motor Carrier Executive
Safety & Compliance
Carrier Management
John,

This is just my observation about MLJSR1:

It seems like he is in location for expediting that really could go either way (Jacksonville, FL). I understand from another veteran expediter that the area north of I - 40 and east of the Mississippi is the best freight areas.

In contrast, I live in Northern Indiana, which is much more in the thick of expediting freight zones than MLJSR1 is. I am new to this industry. Does this make sense?
QuickPUD - you have received pretty accurate information from the veteran expediter - use it to your advantage. Home base Northern Indiana should be a great area to work out of. Just always remember that nothing is pre-planned in expediting, and being at the right place at the right time is crucial. Unfortunately no one can look into a crystal ball to tell you where your next load will come from.

I would think that while January may be slower than some months, it might be a great time to get your feet wet and learn the ropes. Jump in when YOU think you are prepared.

Good luck with your ventures.

Reactions: Ragman and tattoo

Ragman

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Unfortunately no one can look into a crystal ball to tell you where your next load will come from.
10202_thumb2_220x244.gif

ATeam

Retired Expediter
One thing we did when in the business was keep a spreadsheet that listed every run, including the pick-up location zip codes. Over time that gave us a good idea of where the freight was for the kind of runs we said yes to. You can plot the zip codes or city name on a map to provide a visual.

The down side of this is it can lead to a self-fulfilling strategy that may blind you to opportunities. For example, if you deliver in San Francisco and your list shows dozens of pick-ups in LA but few in SF, you may tend to deadhead quickly to LA. That will add an additional pick up to your LA list, but had you waited a bit, you might have added an SF pickup instead.

Such a list is not the single thing to rely on when making load decisions, but it is a helpful addition to the decision-making tool kit. It is a better source of info than truck stop counter talk about which areas are hot and which are not. The list will help you understand that some cities are better on some days of the week than others. Depending on how extensive the list is, it might also tell you which zip codes or cities produce the highest-paying loads or the most long runs.

Once upon a time, FedEx gave out notebook size run journals that made it easy to capture the relevant info. Entering that info into the spreadsheet enabled us to better analyze our runs and refine our strategy. If you do not already have one, consider developing a notebook that captures the information you need to objectively analyze your runs. Include:

Pickup-date & time
Pickup day of week
Delivery date & time
Delivery day of week
Shipper Name and address and phone
Shipper contact name (talked to ____)
Consignee name, address and phone
Consignee contact name (talked to ____)
Loaded miles
Rate per mile
Load details (weight, size, accessorials, etc.)
Special instructions/developments/details (talked to ____)
Other info that makes sense for you to include

The spreadsheet helped analyze runs after the fact. The notebook was kept within easy reach and was frequently referenced for a variety of reasons.

We had no crystal ball but our load acceptance and deadhead strategy was well defined. A number of expediters claimed that we were lucky. That was not true. We just used a system that made the probabilities known and increased them in our favor.

There is something to be said for "That's expediting." It is also true that you are not powerless in the business. There is much you can do to increase your chances of getting good loads.

Last edited:

Tobster317

Expert Expediter
Owner/Operator
I live in Deltona FL. Drove for Fed-Ex CC as a team. When we would get ready to go on the road it would be a 50/50 chance getting out of Florida and that was with a refeer and Tval truck. Otherwise we DH to Atlanta. Now I'm with PTL, solo driver just dry box and I only got one load out once in 8 months. I think its just a bad area. So I DH to Atlanta and sometimes I sit there a day also.

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
The best time to start is any month without a vowel. The worst time to start is any month with a vowel.

Reactions: CrazyWhite91