Sprinter, Nissan, Promaster or Freightliner, diesel or gas, new or used

Tom R

New Recruit
First thank you to all who generously contribute to this forum as I have found lots of great information as I consider diving into this line of work.

I am considering becoming o/o of a Sprinter or other type of van driving expedited freight. I'm starting to consider which vehicle to purchase. I imagine that these vehicles may handle differently when loaded than when not and one doesen't get the chance to drive a loaded one at the dealership so I need some insights from people with experience. .

I'm 50 and would like one that is as comfortable as possible to sit in and drive since I will be spending allot of time in that seat. I'm not sure what to expect for mileage when loaded but that brings me to a question of Gas or Diesel. I will have whatever vehicle I purchase expertly maintained but are there additional costs with maintaining the diesel than the gas? From reading some posts it looks that if a diesel wasn't properly maintained they can be less forgiving and more expensive to repair adding to the risk of buying a used diesel.

My initial thoughts would be to do this with a 6 month commitment to be out 3 weeks of the month taking a day off while on the road each week to not get too burnt out. I've been driving for Lyft and Uber for 6 months and average 1000-1500 a week when I'm driving now.

thanks for any insights or for pointing me in the directions of any good threads covering parts of what I'm asking

Thanks again

Reactions: Lawrence

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
If you are making $1000 or more per week and sleeping at home every night you are where you want to be. Paragraphs or even chapters could be written about it but bottom line you are making more money and living in a home every night.

geo

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Retired Expediter
US Navy
i drive for ceva log 12 years home most nights
90 percent home 10 percent over night
have had 4 sprinters in 12 years love em
also sell them we have some good deals going on right now
send pm

Lawrence

Founder
Staff member
If you look at the classifieds, most are Sprinter Vans. So, I'd say that is how the majority of experienced owner operators would vote.

Cargo Vans

bikerpaul

Expert Expediter
I would stay with what you are now doing, making that amount is probably better than you would make as a new driver for any company that would hire you.