Auto Hauling

crich

Expert Expediter
Fleet Manager
US Navy
I don't plan on bypassing DOT weigh scales. I meant bypassing scaling out at like a pilot or something. I'm talking about having to pay $10 every time to weigh and finding out I'm 300 lbs overweight then getting busted and fined at a REAL weigh station. My thought was, is it worth it to just pay the IFTA tax etc....to have the peace of mind and not worry if I'm just a few hundred lbs over.
If a High Output Ram diesel can't do that job then perhaps the consumer would've already known. There's got to be a reason that Ram and the High Output Cummins diesel has the reputation it does. Just my opinion.

your ram will work fine with the 3 car wedge trailer.

Reactions: Steviegoblue

crich

Expert Expediter
Fleet Manager
US Navy
You can come run that ram any day with me and I will provide trailer,IRP plate, ifta filing, ucr and electronic logs with same day pay.
my rates start @ $2.00 per mile per load and I usually do at least 2 at a time unless its like a jet engine or something thats paying $4+ plus you can do cars to.

BobWolf

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Is it an on the lot dealer upgrade or did you sit down with an actual truck builder? My concern, is mechanical brakes steering and chassis being up to the task. 26,000 is at the top of the capacity. The dealer wont get your back if there is a problem.

Remember DOT will look at not only your license, registration, tax stamps, etc., but also what the manufacturer rated the truck for. In addition the trailer capacity, the axle, tire wheel specs and ratings. and are the loads distributed properly, just like a T/T.
You will also have to be sure your loaded truck complies with the federal bridge weight formulas. this will determine how many axles, spacing etc.
Bridge Formula Weights- FHWA Freight Management and Operations

Take a look usually in the door jamb and check what the Manufacturers specs are.

Example..
Manufacturer rates the vehicle for 26,000 GVW / GCVW that's the most the truck, trailer can weigh. Even though your registration and license class say more.
You also need to take in the Axle weight ratings.
Example On a class 7 truck International, freightliner, Hino. you typically have the following max axle weights
Steer 12,000
Drives 20,000
Total 32,000 lbs
You can be totally legal GCVW but if you exceed weight on any axle you are still over weight.

In any situation I would still pay the 10 bucks to be safe. Its all about C.Y.A.!
Besides, Its another business write off.

Hope this helps

GaTrucker05

Birthday Expediter
It's My Birthday!!!
Owner/Operator
Crich you still needing any hot shot truck & car trailers? If so I got a 36ft flatbed car hauler and ford truck I'm needing to put to work. I live in Ga. about an hour from Atlanta. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
If the combined GVWR of the power unit and the trailer is more than 26,000 pounds then you need an IFTA sticker.

If the combined GVWR of both the power unit and the trailer is less than 26,001 you do not need an IFTA sticker.

If the combined GVWR is less than 26,001 and for some reason you are stupid enough to let yourself get caught weighing more than 26,000 pounds, you are subject to being ticketed and fined for being overweight, no IFTA sticker, and likely for fuel tax evasion. Overweight and no IFTA should be around $1000. If they think you are intentionally evading fuel taxes and cite you for that, too, that'll start at around $2500.

Do not register the truck at 26,000 pounds unless that's what it weighs. Register it for whatever its GVWR is. Meaning, if the truck is rated for 11,500 pounds, then register it for that, or as close as possible, like for 12,000 pounds. If the trailer is rated at 12,000 pounds, that puts you at 26,000 pounds. Most cops will look at the door plate for the truck GVWR, and then the trailer plate, and add them together. Some will look at the registered weight, or the actual weight (whichever gets you in more trouble).

In Ohio, and several other states...
QUALIFIED VEHICLES:
The following vehicles are required to display IFTA decals and report fuel use under the IFTA program:

1. Power unit having two axles and a gross vehicle weight or registered gross vehicle weight exceeding 26,000 pounds.

2. Power unit having three or more axles, regardless of weight.

3. Power unit used in combination when the weight of such combination exceeds 26,000 pounds gross vehicle weight.

So if you register the truck for 26,000, and the trailer is at 14,000, you'll get a ticket for no IFTA sticker on a 40,000 pound vehicle. And, at least in Ohio, it'll hold up in court unless you re-register the truck properly before the court date.

Better instead to just register the truck and trailer properly, and don't go overweight. In the rare case where you are overweight, they aren't likely to ticket you for no IFTA or evasion, and will instead allow you to buy a temp IFTA or fuel permit. Getting an IFTA sticker (or apportioned plates) unnecessarily will cost you probably about $600 a quarter in paying double fuel taxes.

Steviegoblue

Rookie Expediter
If the combined GVWR of the power unit and the trailer is more than 26,000 pounds then you need an IFTA sticker.

If the combined GVWR of both the power unit and the trailer is less than 26,001 you do not need an IFTA sticker.

If the combined GVWR is less than 26,001 and for some reason you are stupid enough to let yourself get caught weighing more than 26,000 pounds, you are subject to being ticketed and fined for being overweight, no IFTA sticker, and likely for fuel tax evasion. Overweight and no IFTA should be around $1000. If they think you are intentionally evading fuel taxes and cite you for that, too, that'll start at around $2500.

Do not register the truck at 26,000 pounds unless that's what it weighs. Register it for whatever its GVWR is. Meaning, if the truck is rated for 11,500 pounds, then register it for that, or as close as possible, like for 12,000 pounds. If the trailer is rated at 12,000 pounds, that puts you at 26,000 pounds. Most cops will look at the door plate for the truck GVWR, and then the trailer plate, and add them together. Some will look at the registered weight, or the actual weight (whichever gets you in more trouble).

In Ohio, and several other states...
QUALIFIED VEHICLES:
The following vehicles are required to display IFTA decals and report fuel use under the IFTA program:

1. Power unit having two axles and a gross vehicle weight or registered
gross vehicle weight exceeding 26,000 pounds.

2. Power unit having three or more axles, regardless of weight.

3. Power unit used in combination when the weight of such combination
exceeds 26,000 pounds gross vehicle weight.

So if you register the truck for 26,000, and the trailer is at 14,000, you'll get a ticket for no IFTA sticker on a 40,000 pound vehicle. And, at least in Ohio, it'll hold up in court unless you re-register the truck properly before the court date.

Better instead to just register the truck and trailer properly, and don't go overweight. In the rare case where you are overweight, they aren't likely to ticket you for no IFTA or evasion, and will instead allow you to buy a temp IFTA or fuel permit. Getting an IFTA sticker (or apportioned plates) unnecessarily will cost you probably about $600 a quarter in paying double fuel taxes.

Holy cow. Great explanation here. Because this is new to me I'm still a bit unsure of some things. So, the truck and trailer are registered separately? Each has a comm plate with a defined GVWR? I anticipate my truck weighing 8k and empty trailer 6k. My GVWR on the truck is 14k. Trailer GVWR will be 14-18, based on choice. TURTLE, how would you recommend I plate this vehicle? Thx! I know I probably sound stupid here, but I haven't really had anyone to ask these questions to.

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
Yes, the truck and trailer are registered separately. Unless, of course, you weld the trailer to the truck. They're may be an occasion for you to pull a Uhaul trailer, or a trailer with a rowboat on it. You don't really want to have to log and scale when you do that.

Plate registrations are totally about paying the taxes to register your vehicle with the state.

If the truck GVWR is 14,000 and the trailer is 14,000, that's 28,000 and you need an IFTA sticker and apportioned plates.

On Ohio, and probably most states, you'll need to register the truck with a Registered Gross Vehicle Weight, which would be the total GVWR of the power unit and the trailer.

Not to try and steer you someplace else, but as someone mentioned, the hot shot websites and forums is where you'll get the best information on pickups and auto trailers and RV haulers. It's something we don't deal with very much in expediting (and me personally, not at all).

Steviegoblue

Rookie Expediter
Yes, the truck and trailer are registered separately. Unless, of course, you weld the trailer to the truck. They're may be an occasion for you to pull a Uhaul trailer, or a trailer with a rowboat on it. You don't really want to have to log and scale when you do that.

Plate registrations are totally about paying the taxes to register your vehicle with the state.

If the truck GVWR is 14,000 and the trailer is 14,000, that's 28,000 and you need an IFTA sticker and apportioned plates.

On Ohio, and probably most states, you'll need to register the truck with a Registered Gross Vehicle Weight, which would be the total GVWR of the power unit and the trailer.

Not to try and steer you someplace else, but as someone mentioned, the hot shot websites and forums is where you'll get the best information on pickups and auto trailers and RV haulers. It's something we don't deal with very much in expediting (and me personally, not at all).

OK. Actually I've had more success getting straight answers here than on those sights, oddly. So basically it appears that the GVWR dictates how you plate. I was under the assumption it was based on actual weight. I have no choice then!!!

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
Yes, the GVWR determines your plate registration.

Well, commercial or non-commercial (or farm) determines what kind of plate, but once commercial has been determined, then it's about the weight rating rather than actual weight.

Steviegoblue

Rookie Expediter
Yes, the GVWR determines your plate registration.

Well, commercial or non-commercial (or farm) determines what kind of plate, but once commercial has been determined, then it's about the weight rating rather than actual weight.

That clears a lot up for me, thanks so much.

BigStickJr

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
That clears a lot up for me, thanks so much.
S-
IMO
1) plate truck at 30,000 # gcvw (very little $$ over a 28,000 plate. I got popped at 28840 with 3 suv load on a F350/ 3 car wedge)
2) as Crich said, get an IRP plate
3) you need IFTA
4) you'll log whenever you are pulling your Trl, loaded or empty
5) you need your CDL and Medical card
6)you'll learn quickly that your braking is not like your T/T
7)your carrier should give you a letter that you are releaved of duty when w/o the Trl and not on company business.
8) magnetic signs. Remove them when you drop the Trl. I'd attach IFTA to vehicle but cover it when used as personal vehicle
9) Be honest with your insurance company
10) you'll be further upside down every day you drive the vehicle. Handle your money wisely
11) If you have a three axle Trl call Michigan and see how they handle them. Ten years ago they didn't ike them to the point that local guys would pull tires and wheels off the center axle.
12) Have fun & good luck.

Been there, Done that....

Steviegoblue

Rookie Expediter
S-
IMO
1) plate truck at 30,000 # gcvw (very little $$ over a 28,000 plate. I got popped at 28840 with 3 suv load on a F350/ 3 car wedge)
2) as Crich said, get an IRP plate
3) you need IFTA
4) you'll log whenever you are pulling your Trl, loaded or empty
5) you need your CDL and Medical card
6)you'll learn quickly that your braking is not like your T/T
7)your carrier should give you a letter that you are releaved of duty when w/o the Trl and not on company business.
8) magnetic signs. Remove them when you drop the Trl. I'd attach IFTA to vehicle but cover it when used as personal vehicle
9) Be honest with your insurance company
10) you'll be further upside down every day you drive the vehicle. Handle your money wisely
11) If you have a three axle Trl call Michigan and see how they handle them. Ten years ago they didn't ike them to the point that local guys would pull tires and wheels off the center axle.
12) Have fun & good luck.

Been there, Done that....

If I plate the truck at 30k do I just plate the trailer for the GVWR? Why plate truck for double the gvwr? Also, if I'm without trlr just driving truck, is it illegal to have ifta sticker showing and signs on truck?

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
If I plate the truck at 30k do I just plate the trailer for the GVWR?
The trailer will be a flat fee, something like $39.50, regardless of the weight. It won't be plated based on weight. The GWR on the tongue of the trailer is what the DOT will look at, along with the GVWR of the power unit, to determine if you are overweight. Ohio cops will also look at the Declared GVW, which in the above case would be 30,000 pounds, to see if you're overweight and thus owe the state some taxes. The Declared GVW is the amount you say you will never haul more than.

Why plate truck for double the gvwr?
Because that's the Declared GVW of the combined power unit and trailer.

Also, if I'm without trlr just driving truck, is it illegal to have ifta sticker showing and signs on truck?
No, but it'll sure attract the wrong kind of attention. If you drive around like that an advertise "Look at me I'm a CMV" then a DOT cop will pull you over just to look at your log book and inspect your license plate light bulbs.

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
Not to be pedantic, but if you log it as off-duty and make a notation as to personal use, would not that be de facto the exact same thing as keeping the logbook current? :D

Steviegoblue

Rookie Expediter
Not to be pedantic, but if you log it as off-duty and make a notation as to personal use, would not that be de facto the exact same thing as keeping the logbook current? :D

Haha.....Yes! Well, I'm kinda discouraged because I really didn't wanna do this registered over 26k. I may consider a two car carrier instead. In which case I bought too much truck. Smh...All of this is so overwhelming but I'm glad I'm learning more about it.

tknight

Veteran Expediter
Yes and no if your not noting personal use as off duty you will be using hours so yea I guess but why wouldn't you want to not make them personal hrs it's all in the dot examiners eyes anyways! I do logs 365 days a year
I'm all in favor of a 12 on and 12 off log system

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
My point (and humor) is, regardless of the type of hours that are logged, the logbook is nonetheless kept current. You don't stop logging just because you're using personal hours, especially if you log and notate them. :p

tknight

Veteran Expediter
Turtle actually I meant that if you log off duty for the day and mark it personal use your not going to mark stops and starts all day long just log of for the entire day and mark it personal