A responsible gun owner......Not!

TDave

Expert Expediter
What Turtle said, much more patiently than I can muster anymore. Bottom line you just can't argue more gun laws. There are over 25,000 already and they cover everything. You can argue much more severe consequences but the liberal mind won't do that. It goes against the liberal heart/mind/feelings directive to justify the poor babies misuse of an inanimate object because they were bullied or they were fed too many or too few Twinkies or any other reason to vilify the inanimate object they misused, the legal honest citizens who own the inanimate object and had nothing to do with the crime or anyone/anything else except for the criminal who is responsible.

When you put it this way I can understand more and more why gun owners feel persecuted.

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver
There is a law already on the books that for me (the universal 'me' meaning any individual) to sell a gun to anyone else I must know 100% that person is legally eligible to buy and own a firearm. Do people abuse their rights? Of course they do just as they abuse their privileges (driving etc. which are not a right at all).

Do you really want to start on child abuse or shall we give up that distraction to avoid the actual topic? I'll be glad to get started on that subject as well as I'm more than ready with a response to that but it's here only as distraction so far.

That's funny. If you sold a gun to a friend, how could you know !00% that they have no disqualifying history? That they weren't dishonorably discharged, or diagnosed or treated for mental illness, or are a dug abuser?
The answer is you don't. You can't. As I pointed out already, if we really knew our family and friends that well, predators of small children would have no victims - but they do. A lot of them, in fact. Because people with things to hide get really good at hiding them, even from those who are close to them. They fool us because we don't want to think badly of people we like.

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
That's funny. If you sold a gun to a friend, how could you know !00% that they have no disqualifying history? That they weren't dishonorably discharged, or diagnosed or treated for mental illness, or are a dug abuser?
The answer is you don't. You can't.
Which is why Leo is incorrect about "must know 100% that person is legally eligible to buy and own a firearm" before selling it to them. If you do, in fact, know for sure that they can't legally buy or own a firearm, you can't sell it to them. Same goes if you suspect they are ineligible. But there is no burden on you as the seller to find out 100% for sure by investigating someone's mental health records history, their armed service records, or anything else for which the average person lacks utterly the resources to obtain. So unless you already know 100% that they are ineligible, or suspect in good conscious they are ineligible, there's no reason not to sell them a firearm.

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Yes, 100% to the best of my ability I should have said. If I have 1% doubt then I can't sell it to them.

Reactions: Turtle

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver
So the prohibition is worthless, because who can prove what you did or didn't 'doubt'?
When you talk about enforcing the laws we have, how many are unenforceable, like this one?

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
So the prohibition is worthless, because who can prove what you did or didn't 'doubt'?
That sounds like a question coming from someone who wants to just eliminate all private gun sales and are looking for a reason to go, "See? There ya go." The law is pretty simple in that if someone is disqualified from possessing a firearm, or if you believe then to be disqualified, then you can't sell them a firearm. No one has to prove or disprove what you may have suspected. If you sell a firearm to someone who is disqualified, then you automatically assume the burden of proof that you did not know or suspect they were disqualified. Pleading ignorance and saying, "Well, I didn't know," won't help you.

When you talk about enforcing the laws we have, how many are unenforceable, like this one?
It's very enforceable, and is enforced regularly. You can lose your own right to possess firearms, fines are assessed, sometimes jail time, and some have even been charged with accessory to the crimes committed with the guns they've sold.

Reactions: ntimevan

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver
That sounds like a question coming from someone who wants to just eliminate all private gun sales and are looking for a reason to go, "See? There ya go." The law is pretty simple in that if someone is disqualified from possessing a firearm, or if you believe then to be disqualified, then you can't sell them a firearm. No one has to prove or disprove what you may have suspected. If you sell a firearm to someone who is disqualified, then you automatically assume the burden of proof that you did not know or suspect they were disqualified. Pleading ignorance and saying, "Well, I didn't know," won't help you.

It's very enforceable, and is enforced regularly. You can lose your own right to possess firearms, fines are assessed, sometimes jail time, and some have even been charged with accessory to the crimes committed with the guns they've sold.

I wouldn't say we should eliminate all private gun sales, but the friends and family provision seems a pretty easy way for someone who wouldn't pass a background check to buy a weapon. And I've never read of anyone being prosecuted for it, either.

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
Have you ever read about someone knowing selling a gun to a friend or a family member they knew were ineligible to posses a firearm?

coalminer

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Have you ever read about someone knowing selling a gun to a friend or a family member they knew were ineligible to posses a firearm?

The guy that killed the firefighters in Philadelphia is the best example of that, his niece bought the gun for him if I remember???? There were supposed to be charges against her, but not sure if they ever did.

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver

No, but that could be because the provenance of the weapon is rarely mentioned, except in high profile mass shootings, like Columbine.
You have to wonder: if the Founding Fathers could have imagined events like Columbine, Sandy Hook, et al, would they have changed anything they wrote?

Mdbtyhtr

Expert Expediter
People are prosecuted all of the time for applying for gun purchases when they are ineligible, usually for lying or being convicted felons. Not all crimes make the paper or the Internet. I am a bail bondsman and have been since 1999, and this is not opinion. States like MD are even re-categorizing crimes from misdemeanors to felonies, post conviction, making those legally eligible to purchase weapons now ineligible. When they have legally purchased weapons, they are using the gun registration records to seize all of their weapons and charging them with felon in possession of a weapon, with the defendant never knowing their prior conviction was re-classified to a felony. One case I am familiar with was an over 46 year old misdemeanor in NY that was re-classified in MD, where the person lived for the last 34 years. The only way he was able to clear his name was to have the NY conviction over turned.

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
As much or more interestingly is the belief the founding fathers would have done anything other than create more severe consequences for those abusing society.

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver
You think events like Columbine, Sandy Hook, et al, are modern day inventions? Interesting.

History of School Shootings in the United States | K12 Academics

On a completely unrelated side note... There were more mass shootings in the US in 1929 than there have been in the last 4 years combined.

Yes, and your link proves it. Until 1966, every single school/student related shooting [with one exception] was a personal matter between the individuals involved. The exception was a 70 year old man who caused minor injuries, shooting at a playground full of children.
In August of 1966, Charles Whitman was the first shooter to target strangers, killing them.
1929 was part of the 'gangsters' era, [ie: the St Valentine's Day massacre] when gangs killed each other. As the title of my favorite book about Bugsy Siegel said: They Only Killed Each Other.

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver
As much or more interestingly is the belief the founding fathers would have done anything other than create more severe consequences for those abusing society.

We've already got the death penalty, how much more severe does it get? Shall we kill them twice?:rolleyes:

Reactions: Ragman

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver
People are prosecuted all of the time for applying for gun purchases when they are ineligible, usually for lying or being convicted felons. Not all crimes make the paper or the Internet. I am a bail bondsman and have been since 1999, and this is not opinion. States like MD are even re-categorizing crimes from misdemeanors to felonies, post conviction, making those legally eligible to purchase weapons now ineligible. When they have legally purchased weapons, they are using the gun registration records to seize all of their weapons and charging them with felon in possession of a weapon, with the defendant never knowing their prior conviction was re-classified to a felony. One case I am familiar with was an over 46 year old misdemeanor in NY that was re-classified in MD, where the person lived for the last 34 years. The only way he was able to clear his name was to have the NY conviction over turned.

Can you cite or link something on that? All I can find goes the other way: reclassifying felonies to misdemeanors, post conviction.

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
Yes, and your link proves it. Until 1966, every single school/student related shooting [with one exception] was a personal matter between the individuals involved. The exception was a 70 year old man who caused minor injuries, shooting at a playground full of children.
So you think the four Lenape Indians all had individual personal matters with the nine or ten children they murdered. Interesting.
In August of 1966, Charles Whitman was the first shooter to target strangers, killing them.
Well, except for all the other mass shootings where strangers died. Whitman may have been the first to have his shooting so closely tied to a school campus, but his was hardly the first indiscriminate mass shooting (spree, or rampage killings). In 1949 Charles Unruh killed 13 people, including 3 children, during a leisurely 12 minute walk through his neighborhood.

Mass Shootings Have Long History : DNews

1929 was part of the 'gangsters' era, [ie: the St Valentine's Day massacre] when gangs killed each other. As the title of my favorite book about Bugsy Siegel said: They Only Killed Each Other.
Except they had a lot of collateral damage they weren't really concerned about and the mass killing numbers of the 20s,1929 in particular, do not include familial and felony murders of the gangster type of killings.

Pilgrim

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
...1929 was part of the 'gangsters' era, [ie: the St Valentine's Day massacre] when gangs killed each other. As the title of my favorite book about Bugsy Siegel said: They Only Killed Each Other.
Except they had a lot of collateral damage they weren't really concerned about and the mass killing numbers of the 20s,1929 in particular, do not include familial and felony murders of the gangster type of killings.
One reads those two quotes and might immediately think of the current climates in Chicago and Baltimore with the rising homicide rates among their black populations - especially the "gangstas" with their drug and turf wars. For the most part they're only killing each other. They say "Black Lives Matter" but nobody seems to care about these lives. Somebody once said "History doesn't repeat itself, but it rhymes". Regardless of whether you're talking about the 1920s or the present, it's the culture that's the cause of the criminality of the individuals - not the tools they use.

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
One reads those two quotes and might immediately think of the current climates in Chicago and Baltimore with the rising homicide rates among their black populations - especially the "gangstas" with their drug and turf wars. For the most part they're only killing each other.
The ones who think that are the ones who are obsessed with black-on-black crime as their go-to tool for deflection and demonization particularly since the 1920s numbers and the Chicago and the Baltimore spree killing numbers explicitly exclude familial and gangster type (including gangsta type) shootings.
They say "Black Lives Matter" but nobody seems to care about these lives.
Oh, those obsessed with bringing up black-on-black crime care very deeply about the whole "Black Lives Matter" thing and the lives involved. They keep score and have a watchful eye on the scoreboard.
Somebody once said "History doesn't repeat itself, but it rhymes". Regardless of whether you're talking about the 1920s or the present, it's the culture that's the cause of the criminality of the individuals - not the tools they use.
While I agree that the tools used is largely irrelevant, bringing this back to the topic at hand of spree killings that explicitly excludes familial and gangland killings, what is it about the culture that promotes or allows the (mostly white people to engage in the shootings of Columbine, Sandy Hook, the movie theaters and the malls? Since, you know, that is the discussion from which you yanked both of those quotes.