Heating / Cooling Thermo King for AC

Marty

Veteran Expediter
Hi. I am looking to install a Thermo King B100 on a Sprinter van for air conditioning. It is all electric so there is nothing under the hood. It is all self contained. Thermo King recommended this unit even though it seems to be a reefer. Is it a good idea to do so?

xiggi

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Turtle would be much better than I at interpeting the spec but from what I gather it's a very bad choice. Full disclosure I'm no spec genius so I could be way off base.

Let's clarify just to be sure I'm understanding? You want to use this while driving or while sitting waiting on loads?

Reactions: neilblack

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
That's a 63 amp refrigeration unit, designed to be running off the vehicle's battery and 125 amp (minimum) alternator, or off plugged-in household current when the engine is not running.

A 100 Ah battery could run that thing for perhaps 20 minutes. Maybe.

Reactions: neilblack

Marty

Veteran Expediter
Thank you for your responses. What would be a good way to have AC while sitting waiting for a load? I don't want to use a portable generator outside the van.

xiggi

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
A generator is your only real option. It could be pirtable, rack mount or under body but when it comes to ac it's either that or looking and paying for a campground where you can plug in every night.

Reactions: Treadmill

Marty

Veteran Expediter
Thank you. I am going with a rv roof ac and a Powertech diesel generator. It is expensive but I think it will be worth it in the long run. Is a 9,200 BTU Coleman ac powerful enough for a Sprinter?

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
Make sure the generator is relatively quiet. A guy parked next to me the other night with a really loud generator on his front bumper. He nearly had something bad happen to it. Fortunately, another expediter with even less patience read him the riot act, to the cheers of a few others, and told him to park on the other side of the lot away from everyone and to build a sound enclosure for that thing so people don't pour sugar in the tank. Lol

Reactions: ntimevan

xiggi

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Thank you. I am going with a rv roof ac and a Powertech diesel generator. It is expensive but I think it will be worth it in the long run. Is a 9,200 BTU Coleman ac powerful enough for a Sprinter?
A 9200 would be ok for a 4 foot insulated bunk area closed off from the cargo area. For a well insulated open van get a 15,000.

Marty

Veteran Expediter
After doing more research I realized the 92,00 would not suffice. I ordered a 13,500 BTU. Do you think the would be good enough for the Sprinter? Thanks.

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
That'll work fine. It will probably not be able to fully keep up in 100+ degree weather when there's abundant sunshine and no clouds (see Laredo, comma, are you kidding me?!?), because at that point you're just sitting in an iron box on a sea of black asphalt baking under a broiler. It'll keep you rare rather than medium-well.

xiggi

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
What turtle said. I have a 13500 and most of the time it's fine. In high heat or heat and high humidity I close my curtains at both ends of the bed to create a smaller space. Those units work a lot harder in high humidity and it makes almost as much difference as heat itself.

Insulate overly well and make reflectix templates for all your windows.

Marty

Veteran Expediter
Thank you. I am having closed cell foam insulation sprayed on the walls and roof. Hopefully that will make a difference.