Heating / Cooling Espar questions

tknight

Veteran Expediter
Espar McGiver as I'm an outside of the box thinker, I'm installing a d2 this week in my small sleeper, I know I'll have tons of heat, so here's my idea, I want to install at the heater output side a small heater core, and connect an rv pump with hoses to my main heater hose system to keep the coolant warm and circulating in place of a block heater, I have a good house battery system, so I'm not worried about running low on power, just thinking of different self contained ways of keeping engine warm to aid starting in cold weather over long stays on the road. Comments, tell me if you think I'm nuts. The pump im thinking of moves a gallon a min, and the extra heat should be enough to heat the core, just not sure of how hot it'll get, but Luke warm could be enough, maybe.

xiggi

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I think your asking alot of that d2 but I'm certainly no engineer.

tknight

Veteran Expediter
Well, maybe, but the heat output I would think would be enough to heat up ann maintain the aluminum core and transfer the heat to the coolant, as the core would be warm from coolant flowing through from the already heated motor, maybe I'm dreaming, maybe not,

xiggi

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I'm just thinking that on cold nights maybe 15 degrees and below the d2 would get my well insulated 8x6 space up to about 62 degrees. Now asking it to provide enough to work as a core heater also could be a tough task. I think espar makes a type of engine heater. If that's correct maybe looking at how it works will help in your planning.

tknight

Veteran Expediter
My sleeper/koffin is about 100 cubic ft I think the d2 is overkill as I can use a 200w ceramic heater and stay warm, it just uses too much power when on for hrs and my inverter shuts off at 11 volts.

Last edited:

Greg

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
My sleeper/koffin is about 100 sq ft I think the d2 is overkill as I can use a 200w ceramic heater and stay warm, it just uses too much power when on for hrs and my inverter shuts off at 11 volts.
100 Sq ft?
Seems quite large

Greg

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I followed the progress of your truck rebuild, looks great. I figured the 100 sq ft was a typo.

Reactions: neilblack

tknight

Veteran Expediter
I found this small core it's about 5" sq and 2-3 inches thick with a 4" boxer fan attached to it, I can fabricate an insulated box to house it and have an inlet adapter and a hose output for the heat to the sleeper, McGiver is always thinking, happens when I can't sleep.ImageUploadedByEO Forums1446989377.361113.jpg

Nope that won't work, it's too small, the search continues

Last edited:

mjmsprt40

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
OK if I ask why you're trying to re-invent the wheel? I'm looking at this whole thing and thinking it's too small to do what you're asking. Get a proper APU set up instead, it'll be big enough for the job and designed for the job from the get-go. A D-2 is good for heating the sleeper, OR for keeping the engine warm--- but probably not both. You won't be happy with this McGivered rig, I just about guarantee it.

tknight

Veteran Expediter
Always thinking of new ways to do things and don't really want to add weight to truck also it's a challenge to me!

paulnstef39

Veteran Expediter
Fleet Owner
Electrical heat isn't overly practical by the time you add the cost of batteries (and their weight) and the rapid consumption of valuable amps.

tknight

Veteran Expediter
I got lucky I got from a friend 2 deep cycle gelcell batteries in new condition for 50 each they are very strong and last a few days I built my own charge changeover circuit for them I use a small on demand inverter and all I use normally is my tv and DVDs player alon with a few chargers and an electric blanket designed for the cheaper modified sine wave inverters , along with the small heater to kill the chill as needed . I've been doing this for 5 years now and am happy with it. I am addin a d2 Espar this winter as I get older so do my bones and other body parts and I'm getting a little arthritis and wish to not make it worse after all I'm 64 and not getting younger if my math is working right still .

I'm now thinking of getting a small generator to use as a power source for my block heaters on those oh so special due to global warming sub zero nights
After all I can be as redneck/hillbilly as the guy next door with 2 window ac units duct taped in his rear windows and a noisy generator chained to his bumper with orange extension cords frozen to the ground in the winter!

Reactions: ntimevan

tknight

Veteran Expediter
Gave in today, I found a great deal at an international dealer ( imagine that a great deal at a dealership) got a fleetrite engine water heater for less than 700.00 brand new in the box all install kit parts still sealed! It's a private labled espar d5 engine water heater, so now time to install it before it gets stupid cold, no need to worry about not plugging in overnight when I get suckered into upper peninsula runs this winter, no more idling, I think it's a good move to make.

Last edited: