Quit smoking

ATeam

Retired Expediter
First, OVM, congratulations on three tobacco-free years!

Your post got me thinking more about hypnosis and I'd love to hear more about it from you. What was your experience exactly with hypnosis? Where there multiple sessions? How did you happen to open yourself up to it the first time? Why are you recommending it to others today?

In our gym, we have a member who is a hypnotherapist. It is fascinating to visit with him because much about health and fitness success is about mindset, habit, willpower, etc. On the other hand, I keep my guard up because hypnosis is often associated with parlor tricks, fraud, abuse, etc. that create barriers to accepting it as legitimate.

Additionally, even if you accept hypnosis as legitimate, a hypnotherapist will put you in a state in which your unconscious mind is susceptible to the suggestions of the hypnotist. That can be an issue if you are reluctant to trust someone else with that kind of influence. On the other hand, as with quitting smoking, this can be the very reason to hire a hypnotherapist. You want help in changing a behavior that you have been unable to change on your own. You want outside help with changing your inner mind.

I approached our hypnotist friend yesterday to mention your post and discuss these things. With my permission, while he and I stood in the middle of our brightly-lit gym, with gym noise in the background and people working out around us, he put me into a mild hypnotic state. It took him about one minute to do it and I was amazed.

This man took me through a couple relaxation techniques (look at an object -- a ceiling fan in this case -- take breaths, close my eyes, think more about relaxing). He then had me imagine that there was nothing I could do to open my eyes. He talked about that for a bit, developing the idea that my eyelids were sealed shut. When he then told me to open my eyes, I was amazed. I could not do so. No matter how hard I tried, my eyelids would not open. I raised my eyebrows as high as they'd go. I rolled my eyeballs every which way. I squeezed my eyelids tightly shut and tried to snap them open. I tried to bring other facial muscles onto this task. Nothing worked. My eyelids were indeed sealed shut!

I was fully aware of my surroundings through the whole exercise. I knew what was going on in my mind and in the gym. But in a minute or less, there I stood, unable to open my eyes. I could have raised my hand and used my fingers to open the eyes, I suppose, but that was not the point of the exercise. The point was for my hypnotist friend to show me what it was like to be in a mild hypnotic state. He brought me out if it with a few more words and I opened my eyes with ease.

OVM, your post and this experience heightens my curiosity about hypnotherapy. I don't smoke, have nervous twitches, over-eat, have trouble sleeping, have a fear of flying, feel depressed, or feel overly stressed. I'm not looking to fix something wrong in my life but I would like to improve my work habits and thereby improve my business productivity.

With this new awareness about hypnosis, I'm considering hiring my friend to help me with that.

I'm all ears about hypnosis, OVM. Please share more.

Last edited:

xiggi

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I'm very happy that it worked for ovm. I tried it once and had zero success, I never even went under. I would be willing to give it another shot.

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
Some history Phil.....about 20 yrs ago they had these travelling road show as to say....you paid your 39.95 and brought your own pillow....the hypnotherapist rented a large room in a hall and filled the room...1 session....I quit for 6 months.....gained 100 lbs and them were the days where smoke was all around you....lunch room in the plant was like a heavy fog...so I forced myself to restart smoking and lost that 100 lbs ....fast forward to 3 yrs ago....
Had my second stent put in...the smoking was doing some serious damage....Chantix has some nasty/serious side effects aka drug. So I considered the therapy again....figured it worked once why not again....now the cost $120...I looked around most want to do multiple sessions like at least 3...not really an option when you live 150 miles from the city...I found Gayle there in Livonia...1 session and walked out addict free....
This is not to say you don't have urges but once over the addiction to nicotine, the hard part starts....the years of the brain being programmed to action/ reaction responses....changing your behavior so to speak.
Example: the act of reaching for a smoke.....you finish a task whether it be a meal or whatever and you "reach" for a smoke OR you get behind the wheel of your van start the van and light a smoke....all programmed in your brain...In my case I filled a package with those pretzel sticks and carried them around, when the brain told me to "reach out" I complied to fullfill the request......The brain has no Idea whats in the package, it is the act itself it monitors....So I "reach out" grab the pack take out a pretzel and voila....the brain is satisfied I completed the task.....Many quitters can tell you even after years of quitting the still catch themselves Reaching out....

so to those of the conspiracy mindset...get over it...take off that tinfoil hat...I wish you all the best of luck....

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
Only one the result of the first provided no basis to return at that time.
Finding a way to quit is kinda like trying to find the right carrier....:) everyone is different...and should your health take a downward turn, the motivation to quit gets stronger....

Reactions: Treadmill

Ragman

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter

ntimevan

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
And to think WE just had a discussion on this topic earlier in the week ....:D
Notice to readers .. My last Cigarette ... November 1975 ..
Back when We smoked because it was supposed to be COOL .... boy .. Dumb Teenagers ..

vandriver2

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I'm so glad it helped/helps you OVM! Hypnotism is an amazing tool! You're doing very well! Whatever works for anyone! Our brains are so different!
About being hypnotized.....in my younger years and only once! I recall clearly he had me run up and over beautiful "The Hills are Alive" hills with white swaying Daisy's in the warm summer wind, (I could hear myself breathing really hard laying there on the sofa from running) stepping through doors that he had me draw onto a chalkboard under hypnosis-in my mind, not physically! I even felt myself levitate in mid air about a foot off the sofa and rotate. It's okay, I know...you're laughing. I exaggerate nor fabricate any of it. It was just plain the most awesome experience ever! He told me that I would increase my walking and exercising and eat very healthy foods, eating less in proportions, etc..
I watched as 5 Toucans came fluttering down out of the rain forest while I was in a gorgeous blue green lagoon with a flowing white waterfall at the bottom of all those hills....I was laying on a huge flat rock in the dappled sunshine. The birds hovered over me holding in their beaks and flapping so hard, a long banner that said "You can do it Lisa!". Yep, no kidding! No, I didn't do Drugs like you're thinking! Haha! I'd told the hypnotist I wanted to lose 20 lbs.. I went from 165 to 125. Ya, 40 lbs. I lost! I was too skinny for 5'-8 1/2". I have only one photo of me like that...looked like a stick bug! I was very young and put the weight back on...but I don't care....what a fantastic experience!!! I'd wish it for everyone. He was good! His deep voice, the subtle tape-recorded piano tinkling music and the sound of his empty smoking Pipe clinking on his teeth I recall! So, so quiet and peaceful. Weird I know...I went right under...I heard him, I knew he was right over there across from me the whole time! He only touched my forehead twice, once when going under and once when counting for me to come out of it and awaken. I didn't want it to end.
Now, this was a private Hypnotist in Maryland and he was PHENOMINAL. He told me that when I wake I will feel as if I just slept 10 hours, and that was so true! The person who I went there with then entered the room and was previously 100% skeptical.... said after seeing me, they'd never again question it. Shocked. I was all cob webs after only about 30 minutes. I recall it as if it was yesterday and it was 1981. In a heartbeat I'd love to travel like that again in my mind! The scenes I saw were like the most beautiful spots you could imagine visiting all by yourself!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    233.1 KB · Views: 16
Reactions: Bako12thMan

vandriver2

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
And to think WE just had a discussion on this topic earlier in the week ....:D
Notice to readers .. My last Cigarette ... November 1975 ..
Back when We smoked because it was supposed to be COOL .... boy .. Dumb Teenagers ..
Way to goooo NTimevan! I've heard and read it's a harder addiction than Heroin to beat!

Reactions: ntimevan

ATeam

Retired Expediter
Hypnotism is a brand-new topic to me so I can only speak from what little experience I have and what little I've read.

Those who write about it say we commonly experience hypnotic states in our daily walk. Examples include losing yourself in a good book or movie, missing a turn because your mind was deeply focused on something other than the task at hand, and simple daydreaming. These are peaceful, relaxing times because the mind is quiet, focused mostly on one thing.

With hypnosis, we intentionally enter a hypnotic state, which renders the unconscious (subconscious) mind susceptible to suggestions. The purpose is decided ahead of time (weight loss, quit smoking, improve athletic performance) and suggestions are made as appropriate to the purpose. You can come out of the hypnotic state (sometimes called a trance) any time, just like you can shift your focus off a book or daydream you lost yourself in.

Hypnosis can be done with the help of a hypnotherapist or on your own. There are dozens of self-hypnosis videos on YouTube that you can try. I tried a few before finding a series I especially liked. Self-hypnosis can be done without videos too. As high-level athletes do, you simply shift into a hypnotic state (similar to meditation) and visualize the outcomes you want.

This is good stuff. Thank you OVM for mentioning it and getting us thinking.

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
Phil...most hypnotherapists give out a CD to listen to when extra support is needed....You might somehow be able to get your hands on one to experience that.....they'll probably charge you as a session for it....but might be a good investment in your research of the topic.