Saving with a fuel card

Greg

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Does anyone use their fuel card for saving?
I know that sounds funny since your fuel card is supposed to get you a discount, but are you saving with it?
Seeing the discounts after my fuel purchases got me to thinking, so I decided to try out a simple plan. Let's say I get my fuel surcharge money loaded on my card for a trip. Lets just say $200.00 .I use that money to run my trip and purchase $200.00 in fuel and DEF. Then my discount shows up on my card when I finish pumping. Let's say the discount is $46.00 . Next trip, same thing $200.00 loaded for the trip, but now my balance is $246.00, however, this is where I made a slight change. Instead of using the $246.00, just use the $200.00 , this time my discount might only be $44.00 . Each time I would only use the FSC loaded on my card and leave the discount money alone.
After 1 month, my discounts have added up to quite a little sum of money. Now all I have to do is draft a comchek for the saved amount at the end of the month, or you could do it weekly, and deposit that into my savings account, maintenance fund, etc.

You would be surprised at how quickly it adds up.

Greg

Treadmill

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Does anyone use their fuel card for saving?
I know that sounds funny since your fuel card is supposed to get you a discount, but are you saving with it?
Seeing the discounts after my fuel purchases got me to thinking, so I decided to try out a simple plan. Let's say I get my fuel surcharge money loaded on my card for a trip. Lets just say $200.00 .I use that money to run my trip and purchase $200.00 in fuel and DEF. Then my discount shows up on my card when I finish pumping. Let's say the discount is $46.00 . Next trip, same thing $200.00 loaded for the trip, but now my balance is $246.00, however, this is where I made a slight change. Instead of using the $246.00, just use the $200.00 , this time my discount might only be $44.00 . Each time I would only use the FSC loaded on my card and leave the discount money alone.
After 1 month, my discounts have added up to quite a little sum of money. Now all I have to do is draft a comchek for the saved amount at the end of the month, or you could do it weekly, and deposit that into my savings account, maintenance fund, etc.

You would be surprised at how quickly it adds up.

Greg
Or you could just use it and not take the advance and have it included with your settlement.

Greg

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Or you could just use it and not take the advance and have it included with your settlement.
True. But sometimes it is easier to save some money when you don't have it IN hand. Kind of like interest at the bank used to be, or loyalty points from the truck stops. It is automatic and I don't miss it while it builds up.
My old carrier used Comdata, but we didn't get any discount, so to me, this is like extra cash, since I am not used to getting it anyway.