October Locations And Other Chit Chat

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
XMUDMAN describing his planned up-fit made me think.

My 3500 Transit with (2) bunks, flooring, walls, narrow shelves, roof AC, generator, small refer, supplies, fuel and co-pilot now weighs an incredible 7400#. How does that compare with some of y'all if you care to share?

Also, any thoughts on beefing it up to get more GVW
did you mean LESS? how to shed weight? Because you can't add payload Lbs..

Your bunk Material? real wood or particle board?...
1 pair of full sized vice grips is just over 1 lb?...LOL

Reactions: ntimevan

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
I did two back to back 900 mile loads once and it was hell. I had to sleep for four hours on the second load because I was in the condition of a drunk driver. Then being my bad arse expediter die hard self, I drove 10 MPH over the posted speed limit for 8 hours straight to make up the time. I went from being four hours behind to delivering an hour early. That is when that particular carrier realized that when I say I will be somewhere at a certain time, the load will be there. And before you bash me for being unsafe, that company begged and begged me to take that load, and they knew I was going t have to take a 4 hour break after I picked up the load. I just couldn't let the load be late when the maintenance department was waiting for the parts.

I once had Bolt call me on a 1100 mile load because I took a four hour break. I told them I would be delivering two hours early and to stop looking at the red box on fleet vision. I was headed into a state with a 75 mile an hour speed limit and I set the cruise on 80 MPH. The load was delivered exactly 2 hours early. That fancy dispatch software can't outsmart a good dedicated well seasoned driver.

amazing how many calls I get/pms about this.....Main thing was
My carrier just asked me to do a 800 miler and there was no time for a nap built in.....to which I respond.." did they say it was DIRECT drive"? Yes they did....." well then what do you think direct drive means?....DOH! Don't blame the carrier...we do EXPEDITE...gee whiz...
If you feel you can not do the drive safely/ healthy - don't accept the load...its pretty simple.

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator

Good morning gang.....going to be getting the war wagon ready for 900 mile trek to the great white north...Edmonton Alberta to see my 2 sons and my 3yr old grandson! Leaving Thursday morning to be there Friday when they get off work themselves. and spend the weekend....well breakfast time and back to work on the wood pile as well for awhile.
12115707_968731293165359_2943509548766616868_n.jpg

Reactions: ntimevan

vandriver2

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Changed out my engine & cabin air filters this am (every 6 months, Spring & Fall)
Lots of soy bean/corn combines and hard-working farmers working out there blowing their dust.
Have a great, safe day of driving.
(Ya, I know I got my finger and my boot toe in my pic!)

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 42

xmudman

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Day One of Team Richards:

Nancy got carsick after we arrived at Port Huron. Not used to Michigan roads :(

I brought the freight 631 miles, the gentleman who picked it up had a 5-8 km drive to deliver it in Sarnia, Ont. What a life :)

Now at Pilot in P.H. Phone is ringing but hook not set yet. Teaching Nancy little details as I go (like how to pronounce Meijer :p )

Tennesseahawk

Veteran Expediter
I loaded in upper Sandusky going to Watertown South Dakota how about that Home time as requested

Wish I could be so lucky... have to be home for the 20th.

Instead of taking my Seattle to IL load all the way, I swapped with another driver, whose load was going BACK to Seattle. Then I get a load to Vegas. Then I get a load to WI, which they won't load my drop deck. Then I get a load dropping in northern NV and BACK to Seattle. If I don't get another IL run, my goose is cooked.

Tennesseahawk

Veteran Expediter
I did two back to back 900 mile loads once and it was hell. I had to sleep for four hours on the second load because I was in the condition of a drunk driver. Then being my bad arse expediter die hard self, I drove 10 MPH over the posted speed limit for 8 hours straight to make up the time. I went from being four hours behind to delivering an hour early. That is when that particular carrier realized that when I say I will be somewhere at a certain time, the load will be there. And before you bash me for being unsafe, that company begged and begged me to take that load, and they knew I was going t have to take a 4 hour break after I picked up the load. I just couldn't let the load be late when the maintenance department was waiting for the parts.

I once had Bolt call me on a 1100 mile load because I took a four hour break. I told them I would be delivering two hours early and to stop looking at the red box on fleet vision. I was headed into a state with a 75 mile an hour speed limit and I set the cruise on 80 MPH. The load was delivered exactly 2 hours early. That fancy dispatch software can't outsmart a good dedicated well seasoned driver.

Poor excuse. Unsafe is unsafe, regardless of the reason. And just so you know I'm not picking on you, I've been there, done that. 1800 miles on 5 hours sleep. Also driving thru KY without remembering most of it. I've had lots of touch-n-goes, microsleep, and a few hallucinations - all past the statute of limitations. :woot:

No more overnighters. No more fudging the log book. And no more driving while I'm tired. I'm lucky as hell to be alive, after what I've done.