Rookie, No More

Greg

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Recently. I passed my 1 year mark with Landstar Express America. It has been a very good year.
There was definitely a learning curve, but I have acclimated well to my new environment.
As a solo straight truck O/O, I logged over 92,000 miles in my first 12 months, and they were very profitable miles too. When I signed on, I was told (and expected ) that a solo would only get 55,000 - 60,000 miles a year, and I must say I am happy to see that I was able to surpass that number.
I'm glad I chose to partner with LEAM and hope the trend continues.
To all the other drivers out there, I hope you're all running profitable, safe and happy.
Greg

Greg

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I should note that I passed my 1 year mark as an expediter with Landstar Express, but it was not my first year in the trucking industry. I spent 25+ years as an O/O hauling household goods. Expediting and household are two different animals, but many aspects do carry over from one to another, like maintenance, insurances, managing expenses, taxes etc. Many other aspects took some getting used to, like dealing with MANY agents for dispatch versus just one dispatcher and building those relationships with the agents, more 'downtime' between loads, going from paper logs to Elogs, not much pre planned dispatch, and A LOT less loading and unloading time.
With A LOT of research and talking to as many drivers as I could, it made the transition much more manageable.
Greg