Nasa's plan to get to Mars!

paulnstef39

Veteran Expediter
Fleet Owner
3 Big steps
Step 1. Currently exploring mars via rovers and flybys to figure out what resources are there and what resources we need to bring. Simultaneously, we are using the ISS to learn the science of humans surviving in a micro-gravity environment. We have to figure out what needs to be done to keep people healthy for the 1100 day round trip missions to mars.
Step 2 (This is so cool) We are going to capture an asteroidal boulder and park it near the moon. This will be what's called the proving ground. Earth will no longer be 20 minutes away, but a couple of days away. The proving ground will be used to test landing and takeoff equipment, propositioning of supplies, and generally will teach us to survive in space without being 20 minutes from home.
Step 3 - Preposition supplies, systems and technology at or near mars, using solar powered transport systems carrying school bus sized cargo containers. Water will be mined on mars and oxygen will be generated from the environment. Humans will travel separately from most of the cargo, and carry a lander with them like the moon missions.
Anyway lots of cool stuff, worth the 36 page read. :flykite:

paulnstef39

Veteran Expediter
Fleet Owner
I just got back from watching The Martian. I now know why NASA released this report this month. They didn't wan't to get accused of ripping off Ridley Scott's movie. Any way, GREAT flick.

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver
That movie is on my list, ASAP.
One of my all time favorite books is "The Sparrow", by Mary Doria Russell, [which I didn't read for months after someone gave it to me, because it was about 'Jesuits in Space', lol, and that'll teach me about judging a book by it's blurb], in which SETI finally gets a signal. While numerous countries and groups are scrambling to coordinate a mission, the Jesuits put 3 priests and assorted experts into an asteroid [because they own all kinds of property, lol] and send them to make first contact.
It's one of those books that I started all over again as soon as I finished it - that good. And the idea of using an asteroid was intriguing, especially.

paulnstef39

Veteran Expediter
Fleet Owner
Asteroid TB 145 will pass near Earth on October 31. This asteroid is believed to be carrying three passengers; 2 Maryknoll nuns and L. Ron Hubbard.

I was under the impression that Elvis was onboard also; he is providing the passengers with the entertainment. crazy_pilot