Your opinion on workshops at Expo 2016

Kristy

Expo Manager
On Time Media Staff
Hi all, event manager for Expedite Expo here. I am working on the workshop topics for the 2016 show and would like to know what classes you would like to see offered. We typically offer Expediting 101 and Truck Specin' classes, what topics would you find helpful?

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Heath Wood on proper truck care and maintenance.

Nick and Jenny on van expediting (yes, I know they aren't in a van now but that doesn't mean they don't know it backward and forward and have tons to offer)

John Mueller on researching and recruiting and what to look for in a reputable recruiter.

Dynamite 1

Staff member
Fleet Owner
We had great success with the 101 class last year, standing room only. Only issue was time, not enough of it !!

Maybe a problem solving seminar for people who are currently struggling in their business rather it be financial or simply the way they are structured.

Possibly a class for drivers that want to work for fleet owners. What to look out for and also how drivers should conduct themselves, also what both parties expect.

TeamCaffee

Administrator
Staff member
Owner/Operator
There needs to be a van class to encourage people to not get into a van but to get into a straight truck or bigger. While at the workshops to many potential people want to get into vans and are not hearing the trucking companies over and over saying we are not putting on vans. There is a reason for their responses and somehow these people need to hear the reality of finding a company to put a van on with and then to stay busy.

The Pre Trip went really well with TA/Petro and I would like to see that refined even more and more time given to it.

Some of the small workshops I think worked really well being held at Booth's where they would not interfere with other booths.

We have had some luck at other shows talking about ways to cook in the truck and using different appliances or sharing ideas.

Like Leo said purchasing fuel and making money on fuel would be an advanced class

I would like to see two classes one for people looking to drive for someone and those that are wanting to become owner - operators

Ragman

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
..... While at the workshops to many potential people want to get into vans and are not hearing the trucking companies over and over saying we are not putting on vans. There is a reason for their responses and somehow these people need to hear the reality of finding a company to put a van on with and then to stay busy.
Oh, they are hearing it, they just aren't listening.

Reactions: TeamCaffee

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
hard for some to accept they are not really needed.....even carriers that do have vans only do so because they have a couple customers of their own, that have requested some van service. Which begrudingly forces a carrier to deal with van drivers...Yet carriers like Bolt and Panther thrive on van business. Some embrace the business that vans bring and with lack of regulation....