Ride height

tknight

Veteran Expediter
Well my trucks coming along but now that the box is on it, it's sitting about 6 inches to high I'm not sure if the ride height is off or what , looking into it international gives the spec but not from where to take the measurement from
Anyone have experience with this before I take it in for a gouging. Knowledge Is king when dealing with this stuff.

greasytshirt

Staff member
Mechanic
I'm assuming that the measurements are made at the bottom of the frame rail to the ground. Is this what you mean?

tknight

Veteran Expediter
I don't think that's it because I have read somewhere it affects your drive line , and can cause problems if wrong angle

greasytshirt

Staff member
Mechanic
I don't think that's it because I have read somewhere it affects your drive line , and can cause problems if wrong angle
Gotcha, I understand what you are referring to now. I know they are different animals, but Hino ride height measurements are taken between the center of the two rear shock mounting bolts. Between 21 and 22 inches, when the two sides are averaged together.

You are correct, incorrect ride height can adversely affect driveline angularity and seriously compromise longevity. Since this rig is a conglomeration, it would be worthwhile to have the angles checked once you have the ride height set.

Allison DOC diagnostic software includes a fantastic multiple-driveshaft angle calculator. That plus a Wixey angle finder are sufficient to calculate angles pretty precisely. The angles can be changed by either changing out angle blocks between the rear axle and springs or by changing the position of the driveshaft bearing hangers. Changing the pinion angle with the blocks is the easiest method, imo. Fine tuning can be done by raising or lowering the appropriate hanger.

Last edited:
Reactions: neilblack

tknight

Veteran Expediter
I'm renaming my truck "Murphy" as it never fails today's bull crap ordeal Is box height , paint shop called me and said it won't fit in their bay cause it's too high! So I drove there and it won't fit inside
Truck should be 12-6 but it's coming in at 13-1 I'm like wtf?
They installed my old box and wood from the m2 without checking top of frame height so it's way too tall now , that's why I was asking about height I suspected something was up last week but couldn't get there to confirm it was too high the deck is coming in at 56" way too high even dropping the air won't get me to the right height when at my dock , so after they paint it, (let air out of tires) it's back to the body builder to take it off and remove the wrong wood rails and correct it, with 1" boards, after air dump it will then be 12-7 close enough for me!
I still need to get the air dump valves installed and the vertical exhaust from my old m2 put back on

tknight

Veteran Expediter
It only changed it by 1.5" from a 10r 22.5 to an 11r22.5 I took that into my calculations already it's not a huge difference but it all adds up to 8" higher with the wrong wood I stopped at Ryder to look at how much wood is on similar trucks and mine has about a total of 5.25 inches while there's are less than 1.00 " so I need to lose at Least 4 of mine and after air dumb I should be good

greasytshirt

Staff member
Mechanic
It only changed it by 1.5" from a 10r 22.5 to an 11r22.5 I took that into my calculations already it's not a huge difference but it all adds up to 8" higher with the wrong wood I stopped at Ryder to look at how much wood is on similar trucks and mine has about a total of 5.25 inches while there's are less than 1.00 " so I need to lose at Least 4 of mine and after air dumb I should be good
Sounds like they shoved a 6x6 in there. That's ridiculous.

If you drop it to an inch, will the tires hit body crossmembers, especially under load?

tknight

Veteran Expediter
Nope there's a 8-10" gap
ImageUploadedByEO Forums1444087386.695298.jpgyou can see I if you zoom into the rear wheel
And another few inches up into the underside of the box with a curved steel plate to go over the tire if you were to bottom out so I should be fine crossing my toes

Last edited:

greasytshirt

Staff member
Mechanic
Just eyeballing it, if the box was lowered to be even with the bottom of the sleeper (4-5 in, maybe), it looks like the clearance between the tires and bottom of box will be...minimal. Would to help to see it in person, though.

Slo-Ride

Veteran Expediter
Knight for what it is worth my box is sitting on a1&3/8" board..App 4 inches to top of drive tire from the floor gusset. Didnt have a straight edge so the floor gusset measument is rough and not exact. Bottom of frame rail to the ground is 26 1/2 inches with air bags inflated.. 24 1/2 with air dumped out of the air ride..

Last edited:

tknight

Veteran Expediter
Spoke to the shop and after I get it back this weekend from paint first thing Monday they're gonna raise the box and pull all but the 1" plank from it and re fit it figure about 3 hrs
Wernt too thrilled but it's their error!

Reactions: Ragman

Slo-Ride

Veteran Expediter
I assume you found your problem then. :D
You said something about leaving a 1" board in place, and that doesn't seem like a lot of board/wood to support the load. It might be best if you where there with various shims to insure/check you get the best piece of wood in place. Just my opinion but 1" seems light considering the elements and wear and weather checking these spacers are exposed to.