Big Truck I work on Hino trucks. I'll answer any questions I know the answers to.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jonathan Jedel

Seasoned Expediter
Fleet Owner
Hi. Just bought a 2007 268A and the pacbrake is not working. The exhaust brake works. Is there any way to check the small actuator to see f that is the problem or if I need the entire pacbrake controller? When you let on and off hte pedal the dash light flashes.

greasytshirt

Staff member
Mechanic
Hi. Just bought a 2007 268A and the pacbrake is not working. The exhaust brake works. Is there any way to check the small actuator to see f that is the problem or if I need the entire pacbrake controller? When you let on and off hte pedal the dash light flashes.
The 2007 did not come with an exhaust brake, but it could be ordered with one, or a Pacbrake could be added. The factory brake functions when certain conditions are met. The accelerator position needs to be at zero, the idle validation switch needs to be on, and there can't be any active abs faults.

Which actuator are you referring to? The solenoid valve? Put 12v to it and see if air passes through it.

BillCMAT

Rookie Expediter
Mechanic
Hi all. I've been working on Hino trucks almost exclusively for the last few years, and I'm pretty familiar with their ins and outs at this point. If anyone has a question, I'll be happy to answer it, if I know the answer.

I have a 2013 Hino 268. The DEF Quality light is on hard (engine with a line thru it). It had the warning message CHANGE DEF TO NORMAL in the message center also. performed a def drain and fill with the key on, and that reset the warning center message and brought the engine out of derate. no other lights on, no codes in system. Engine runs fine now, just the DEF Quality light on. Also replaced the unit in the tank (per dealer) and no change.
Any ideas on how to turn it off?

Thanks!

greasytshirt

Staff member
Mechanic
I have a 2013 Hino 268. The DEF Quality light is on hard (engine with a line thru it). It had the warning message CHANGE DEF TO NORMAL in the message center also. performed a def drain and fill with the key on, and that reset the warning center message and brought the engine out of derate. no other lights on, no codes in system. Engine runs fine now, just the DEF Quality light on. Also replaced the unit in the tank (per dealer) and no change.
Any ideas on how to turn it off?

Thanks!
Where are you located?

It may or may not have a def quality sensor in the tank, depends on VIN.

If yes, dealer software needed to turn off light.

If no, check both nox sensors. The newest ones end with E0451. You will need to replace both if the p/n ends with E0450 or 0020.

If those are the new ones, Inspect Def injector- dealer software needed.

There are still codes in the system that you cant see.

Last edited:

BillCMAT

Rookie Expediter
Mechanic
Where are you located?

It may or may not have a def quality sensor in the tank, depends on VIN.

If yes, dealer software needed to turn off light.

If no, check both nox sensors. The newest ones end with E0451. You will need to replace both if the p/n ends with E0450 or 0020.

If those are the new ones, Inspect Def injector- dealer software needed.

There are still codes in the system that you cant see.

VIN is 5PVNJ8JTXD4S54839. 2013 268. I have the DXII with the Nexiq interface. says no codes in anything that I can find. Had codes
P20EE (CATALYST DETERIORATION OF UREA SCR CATALYST)
P207F (ABNORMALITY OF DEF SOLUTION QUALITY)
U1001 (ABNORMALITY IN CAN COMMUNICATION (ENGINE OR DIAGNOSIS CAN))

Cleared and none came back. Have performed the DEF injector tests. It passed all 3 parts exactly. The dealer said to replace the tank unit, but that didn't change anything. NOX sensors are reading flat and steady, with rear showing negative numbers to front positive numbers.

Replaced the rear NOX due to very erratic readings. It now looks like the front but lower.

Thanks for the help!

BillCMAT

Rookie Expediter
Mechanic
VIN is 5PVNJ8JTXD4S54839. 2013 268. I have the DXII with the Nexiq interface. says no codes in anything that I can find. Had codes
P20EE (CATALYST DETERIORATION OF UREA SCR CATALYST)
P207F (ABNORMALITY OF DEF SOLUTION QUALITY)
U1001 (ABNORMALITY IN CAN COMMUNICATION (ENGINE OR DIAGNOSIS CAN))

Cleared and none came back. Have performed the DEF injector tests. It passed all 3 parts exactly. The dealer said to replace the tank unit, but that didn't change anything. NOX sensors are reading flat and steady, with rear showing negative numbers to front positive numbers.

Replaced the rear NOX due to very erratic readings. It now looks like the front but lower.

Thanks for the help!
NOX I replaced ended in E0450

BillCMAT

Rookie Expediter
Mechanic
Pretty sure that's still under warranty.
Probably but they don't want to take to the local dealer. Can you tell if this vehicle has a def quality sensor? Or does it use the NOX sensors to determine quality by level of NOX reduction?

Thanks!!

Global1910

New Recruit
Fleet Owner
Hey How are you I have a Hino 338 Expeditor and the battery Died on my truck after jumping the truck it won't let me select gear I can shift from gear to gear but it won't go into drive or reverse the light just flashes its Hino 338 model 2008 with a automatic transmission

greasytshirt

Staff member
Mechanic
Hey How are you I have a Hino 338 Expeditor and the battery Died on my truck after jumping the truck it won't let me select gear I can shift from gear to gear but it won't go into drive or reverse the light just flashes its Hino 338 model 2008 with a automatic transmission
Did you accidently have the jumper cables reversed? It's a common mistake, the positive posts are toward the inside, and there's a red stripe on the negative battery cables.

Since it worked correctly before jump starting (I assume), I'm pretty sure you blew a fuse.

Check EVERY SINGLE FUSE. The ones inside the cab, and the ones in the primary fuse box next to the battery box. Multiple fuses blow, you have to check them all. If one of the large fusible link fuses blow, you will have to pull the guts out of the fuse box to reach the tiny bolts holding the fusible links in.

Edit: Afterwards, evaluate the health of the batteries. Hinos do not like batteries that are failing.

Last edited:

Global1910

New Recruit
Fleet Owner
hey guy thanks for replying i have check and double check all fuse but still nothing. the truck starts and idle just fine just won't select into any gear the little red light just keep flashing next to gear lever

Global1910

New Recruit
Fleet Owner
Did you accidently have the jumper cables reversed? It's a common mistake, the positive posts are toward the inside, and there's a red stripe on the negative battery cables.

Since it worked correctly before jump starting (I assume), I'm pretty sure you blew a fuse.

Check EVERY SINGLE FUSE. The ones inside the cab, and the ones in the primary fuse box next to the battery box. Multiple fuses blow, you have to check them all. If one of the large fusible link fuses blow, you will have to pull the guts out of the fuse box to reach the tiny bolts holding the fusible links in.

Edit: Afterwards, evaluate the health of the batteries. Hinos do not like batteries that are failing.

hey guy thanks for replying i have check and double check all fuse but still nothing. the truck starts and idle just fine just won't select into any gear the little red light just keep flashing next to gear lever

Global1910

New Recruit
Fleet Owner
it is a Allison transmission but i just don't know the model.

greasytshirt

Staff member
Mechanic
i am not with the truck now so am not sure if it does.
This is a problem.

You're describing a case where the tcm does not have power. It's either a fuse you've yet to discover, the ground wire for the tcm is bad/fried, the tcm has fried, or there's some other fault that is causing the tcm to not communicate with the rest of the truck.

It's not uncommon for 4-5 fuses/ fusible links to pop when there's been a jump-start related mishap.

Was the ABS light on too?

Global1910

New Recruit
Fleet Owner
This is a problem.

You're describing a case where the tcm does not have power. It's either a fuse you've yet to discover, the ground wire for the tcm is bad/fried, the tcm has fried, or there's some other fault that is causing the tcm to not communicate with the rest of the truck.

It's not uncommon for 4-5 fuses/ fusible links to pop when there's been a jump-start related mishap.

Was the ABS light on too?
ok i will have him go over all the fuse again yes abs light is on

Status
Not open for further replies.