October Locations And Other Chit Chat

blizzard2014

Veteran Expediter
Driver
Met a fleet owner who offered me a job driving a yellow box truck lol. There was a sleeper and 14 ft of cargo space left. 35 cents per mile all miles paid even empty moves and dead head to pick up. No log books no weight stations. Maximum payload they take 5500 but usually it avgs 2500lb range. He claimed that I should avg no less than 2500 miles a week.

What do you guys think?

And those guys do get the miles because they bid small straight truck loads of 5000 pounds for a dollar a mile. Loads that should be paying 150-180 to 2.00 dollars per mile on a properly maintained straight truck. I see this every day in the world of dispatching. I lose good straight truck loads to box trucks with ramps that make them dock high. The brokers get offended now when they have to pay normal rates on their loads. They probably charge the shipper 2 bucks a mile and then get it done for a dollar a mile and make 1k of profit for just re-brokering a load. I can do this once a week and be a rich guy. They don't have to even worry abut the driver being placed out of service for being overweight because they don't have to roll through scale houses. The shippers need to demand proper vehicle sizes come to pick up the load and discourage the brokers from scalping. I hate the Penske trucks with a passion.

blizzard2014

Veteran Expediter
Driver
Now take the owner of those Penske trucks. If the guy owns the company, he gets 65 cents per mile as his cut, then he pays 35 cents per mile for fuel, and then pockets 30 cent per mile for himself. on 10,000 miles a month he makes 3k. Two k if the van Is not paid for and you take into account insurance and repairs. If the guy owns five vans with foreigners in them who never go home, that is over 100k a year in income for bidding on a few loads every day. The owner gets the loads pretty easy because he's cutting a straight truck rate down so low, the broker will almost always give him the load. He isn't sitting there bidding 80 cents per mile load after load on regular cargo van freight. He doesn't have to bid on fifty loads in a row just to snag one load for one of his vans like the legitimate companies have to do. I think this kind of practice should be discouraged by brokers, but greed controls our industry.

blizzard2014

Veteran Expediter
Driver
With all of this talk about verification of insurance and brokers are still running wild saying "can load a sprinter if it can handle the weight" in the notes section of a 3800 pound load. This happens all day everyday! Do you think the insurance carrier of the "verified carrier" is going to cover the cargo claim on an overloaded truck? Our industry is still like the wild west out here.

Ragman

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
You missed my point..I want that heat...should have gone with him. I don't like the cold..lol
Nah, I understood. Just being sarcastic.

Personally, this is my favorite time of year. I'm getting excited as ice fishing is just around the corner. If LOS were still around he would understand.

SmileyWinterIceFishing.gif

jujubeans

OVM Project Manager
G'morning Sweetie...My big old boys were fighting in the middle of the night...Someone stole Stripe's spot on the bed and he was dive bombing everyone that got in his way. Boy is he ever territorial!

Worn Out Manager

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
US Air Force
Just picking up in Bristol CT. Parked next to a yellow dually box with Eastern European driver. Marked under10,000 GVW. NOW, here is what I found: when I tool the model and specs and looked online at the "yellow truck site", that same truck is marked 12,300 GVW. So, they cheat on GVW to skate under regs but CAN carry 5,000 lbs. After all. Bet it is under insured??