Going Bananas

Greg

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Maybe everyone already knows this, but I just discovered it.
I like to have fresh fruit , especially bananas, but they don't last very long. I don't like them too ripe.
I have found that keeping them in the fridge makes them last longer. I can now keep bananas for about a week to 10 days at the stage of ripeness I like.
If you keep them in the fridge, the peels will still turn a little brown but not much and the banana inside remains the same.
I just put them in the fridge when they reach the ripeness I prefer and they stay that way. They may last longer than 7-10 days, but for me, a bunch of bananas won't stay that long without being eaten.
No more black bananas to throw away!

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
If you put the bananas in a plastic bag and seal it before going into the fridge, the peels won't much turn black, either.

Greg

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
If you put the bananas in a plastic bag and seal it before going into the fridge, the peels won't much turn black, either.
I do keep them in a plastic bag also, forgot to mention that

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
A lot of people won't put bananas in the fridge cause the peels will turn black and they think the fruit is rotten. But if you put them in the fridge while they're still pretty firm, as you've seen you'll get a week or more where they don't ripen noticeably.

If they're already mushy when you first put them in the fridge, you'll only get 2-3 days in the fridge on them.

I don't think many people know about bananas in the fridge. But it's an old restaurant trick.

Greg

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
A lot of people won't put bananas in the fridge cause the peels will turn black and they think the fruit is rotten. But if you put them in the fridge while they're still pretty firm, as you've seen you'll get a week or more where they don't ripen noticeably.

If they're already mushy when you first put them in the fridge, you'll only get 2-3 days in the fridge on them.

I don't think many people know about bananas in the fridge. But it's an old restaurant trick.
I tried it a few months ago by accident, just stuck them in there thinking it was a dark place, and was quite surprised when 10 days later they were still good.

vandriver2

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Just read if you Saran wrap individually and refrigerate they'll last longer. Will have to try this sometime when home!
Thanks for bringing this up.