Cargo Van Is anyone else slow right now?

mjmsprt40

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Hmmmm--- I was slow Monday evening, but not from lack of work. I actually had a job on board, had to give it to two other drivers.

See--- the throttle-cable broke. Suddenly, the engine settles to idle speed and I can't go faster than 5 miles an hour. Moved like that for about a mile and a half to reach the rest-stop (what luck to have one that close). Got the load divided between the two other drivers who carried it the rest of the way, then waited for the tow-truck. Got the new cable installed Wednesday morning, got back home--- then called out again on the same run that I had (Bloomingdale IL to London OH) the day the van broke down. Success this time. Seems we're a little busier too-- I half expect the phone to sound at any time with the next run.

Treadmill

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Slow as molasses here in Laredo. Been here since Monday morning and had 2 calls. 1 did not get load, the other I turned done due to bring over my weight limit. Last week of the month and things should be rockin not sitting still.

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
Slow as molasses here in Laredo. Been here since Monday morning and had 2 calls. 1 did not get load, the other I turned done due to bring over my weight limit. Last week of the month and things should be rockin not sitting still.
I expect next week to be a bit busier....Pre - Labour Day week....end of month rally....both countries shutdown don't know about if Mexico does anything....

Treadmill

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I expect next week to be a bit busier....Pre - Labour Day week....end of month rally....both countries shutdown don't know about if Mexico does anything....
This is the last full week of the month to get everything off the books. Monday's are generally slow days in this biz.

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
This is the last full week of the month to get everything off the books. Monday's are generally slow days in this biz.
I was looking at it as Aug is a 5 week month....and 1 full week before the holiday....6 of 1... half dozen of other....LOL

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
Is a dozen still 12 in the metric system?
I came into work this morning to find the following message in my inbox…..

EGG FARMERS OF ONTARIO ESTABLISHES METRIC DOZEN

Egg Farmers of Ontario (EFO) has decided to fully embrace the metric system by establishing the Metric Dozen (MD).

Given that most people have 10 fingers and 10 toes, there are top ten lists for most categories, and Canada is officially Metric, EFO felt the natural extension would be to establish the Metric Dozen.

Egg cartons will now contain 10 eggs instead of 12 and a half of a Metric Dozen will be 5 eggs.

“We believe this will make it easier for people to understand their egg purchases,” states Harry Pelissero, General Manager of the Egg Farmers of Ontario.

In keeping with some strategies employed by others there will be NO change in the price to either the farmer, wholesaler or at the retail counter for this new Metric Dozen.

This was followed a short while later by this message……

EGG FARMERS OF ONTARIO “CRACKS” UNDER PRESSURE AND RESCINDS METRIC DOZEN SYSTEM

Please destroy the previous announcement regarding the Establishment of a Metric Dozen system for eggs.

Egg Farmers of Ontario (EFO) rescinded the establishment of the Metric Dozen because of pressure from the movie industry. They were in the process of remaking some movies and felt they could not rename such movies as “The Dirty Dozen” to “The Dirty Metric Dozen” or Cheaper by the Dozen” to “Cheaper by the Metric Dozen”.

EFO was also contacted by the church and the rose industries, who expressed their concerns about the effect it would have if they would have to change from 12 to 10 on such things as the number of apostles and the decline in the flower industry when they would only be selling 10 roses instead of 12.

“We did not expect the reaction and the attachment that people have with the number 12. So for this reason EFO has decided to rescind the Metric Dozen system for now”, states Harry Pelissero, General Manager, Egg Farmers of Ontario.

EFO will continue to monitor the situation and may have an update on April 1st next year. :)

mjmsprt40

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
They've kept me moving anyway. Actually had to turn down a couple of jobs the past few weeks because of maintenance issues--- otherwise, nothing to complain about as far as not having enough work.

Reactions: Mailer

beachbum

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
5600 miles last 7 days with 1 van not real slow here to bad the other van sit all week

Running teem or solo. Solo that's 800 miles a day for 7 straight days. That's more work then I want to see Ina van.

I like loads like I'm doing over the next week a 7 stopper 2 stops Ohio 2 stops Pa a stop in WV and final in NC. last stop of by next Thursday pay is very good.

mjmsprt40

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
that was solo see no need for teams in a unregulated vehicle.

The vehicle may be unregulated. The human body---- not so much.

At some point, you WILL sleep. Whether you do that at a truck stop/rest stop, or upside down in the ditch, is up to you. Of course, the downside to doing it upside down in the ditch is that you may give up your air addiction at that time, in which case of course your sleep becomes permanent. Hope you don't take anybody else with you.

I prefer to stop and catch a nap when I'm too long behind the wheel--- but your mileage may vary.

crich

Expert Expediter
Fleet Manager
US Navy
don't think there was one day i didn't get at least 6 hrs sleep. don't think a team really means safer I have tried that route in regulated trucks and find its very hard to sleep rockin and rolling with someone else behind the wheel.think its more about the quality of sleep more than a line on the log book showing i was in a sleeper for x amount of hours. really find its easy to do 900 miles in a cargo van in between naps if you are in decent health.it gets really boring though and usually after a week of this I like to take off a few days

Reactions: OntarioVanMan