Sylectus

spyders

Seasoned Expediter
Would like to hear from small users how it works out.? If anybody has the time a pm would be greatly appreciated. Thnx

Treadmill

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Would like to hear from small users how it works out.? If anybody has the time a pm would be greatly appreciated. Thnx
By doing just a little research on this subject using the search function at the top of the page there are plenty of threads already on this subject discussed in length on this matter.

Reactions: jelliott

jelliott

Veteran Expediter
Motor Carrier Executive
US Army
It is a great Transportation Management System (dispatch software). It wont keep your trucks loaded or replace good old fashioned sales. They push the "load board" element or that is the part that small carriers often seem to think they are buying vs a TMS.

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
Working off the sylectus board and having a good partnership with other carriers/ brokers also referred to as "customers " seems to work just fine for some small carriers as an alternative business model .

Reactions: blizzard2014

jelliott

Veteran Expediter
Motor Carrier Executive
US Army
Working off the sylectus board and having a good partnership with other carriers/ brokers also referred to as "customers " seems to work just fine for some small carriers as an alternative business model .

Agreed. BUT... you have to work and build those relationships. Too many think they buy the software and the freight just comes with it (often I have heard people on here say that was the implication in the sales pitch). It is about relationship building. The software makes working with partners easier and seamless, but it a software package alone won't bring you the business.

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
Agreed. BUT... you have to work and build those relationships. Too many think they buy the software and the freight just comes with it (often I have heard people on here say that was the implication in the sales pitch). It is about relationship building. The software makes working with partners easier and seamless, but it a software package alone won't bring you the business.
Agreed!

Murraycroexp

Veteran Expediter

100% true! The relationships we have with brokers and carriers has only taken about 10-12 years to cultivate. :eek::eek:

Last edited:

Opel2010

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator

That's true, but when you're new, it's kinda hard to build relations. It takes time to get their trust...

paulnstef39

Veteran Expediter
Fleet Owner
There is a cost to obtain any customer, and it isn't the cost of a piece of software. The software is just another tool in your toolbox. As said earlier, it comes down to good old selling, relationship building and always living up to your commitments. A relationship is not defined by the lowest price.

jelliott

Veteran Expediter
Motor Carrier Executive
US Army
There is a cost to obtain any customer, and it isn't the cost of a piece of software. The software is just another tool in your toolbox. As said earlier, it comes down to good old selling, relationship building and always living up to your commitments. A relationship is not defined by the lowest price.

Spot on. It's just so many think get authority and the software and you are all set. They sell that and it's bull. Like any business it takes time and determination.

blizzard2014

Veteran Expediter
Driver
They also try to sell the Sylectus pro version with sales pitches that certain carriers were getting over 100 phone calls a day with load offers once they switched to the pro level. I know this is bull, because I worked for a small carrier that had Sylectus pro, and my load offers remained the same. I will admit, the software is good, but it is a bit overpriced. I used to use Internet Truckstop, and it did just about everything that Sylectus does, with the exception of sending my customers emails whenever I updated the load status in their dispatch software. You really do have to have Sylectus to work with a lot of the partner carriers out there. Yes, a lot of them send out emails with load offers, but they also want you to bid on their loads through Sylectus. There is an advantage to having Sylectus, but it takes about a year before you will get regular loads from the brokers on there. Once you build up your reputation, you will be good to go. Don't mess it up! You only have one chance to impress the brokers. Pick up early, deliver early; never lie to the brokers, and provide an endless supply of real time updates on every load you run. Communication is the key to getting brokers to work with you in the future. Make their job easy. Always call them an hour or two in advance if you think your driver is not going to make the protect time. Don't wait to the last minute to tell them. Keep your brokers in the loop! Always answer the phone, even after midnight, and turn in your rate sheets and POD's within 24 hours of booking the load. Brokers don't like to spend time tracking down paperwork. Always make your drivers check the part numbers, pieces and weight, and delivery address before they leave the shipper. A lot of crisis situations have been avoided by doing this. If the pieces and weight or part numbers are way off, chances are your truck has been loaded with the wrong freight. Good luck!

Last edited by a moderator:

Jim Tropf II

Active Expediter
Carrier Management
I guess it's all relative but the only two words that come to mind regarding Sylectus are "cheap freight". If you want it for a TMS, it works... Other than that there are only a handful of companies on the system that are willing to pay what I would consider fair rates and like others have mentioned, it takes a long time to build those relationships.

Jim Tropf II

Active Expediter
Carrier Management
I think it's going to be about 11 months before we have that answer.

Haha, that's funny!

There are many alternatives, but it all depends on what your goals as a company are. If the goal is to jump into the race to the bottom and undercut everyone to get your runs, then Sylectus is probably your best option. And if that is the extent of your game plan, you wont last long.