Self-Driving 'Crash' Trucks to Hit FL Highways This Year

neilblack

Rookie Expediter
Laws that dictate our actions as drivers just got that more complicated.
example. Who gets the ticket for going threw a yellow light going to red?
Answer. the fellow in the truck behind me officer.

paulnstef39

Veteran Expediter
Fleet Owner
images

Reactions: Moot

ATeam

Retired Expediter
Notice that the article cited mentions Uber as one of the players in the autonomous vehicle arena. I believe that taxi cabs will be the first vehicles to use this technology in a big way. Riders now use their cell phones to summon a cab. Summoning a driverless cab will be done the same way.

After the early adopters take their first cab rides and live to tell about it, and the news reports are broadcast, trust in the technology will grow and the political and social barriers will be that much easier to overcome.

Cargo planes will be another area in which this technology is used. As FedEx chief Fred Smith says, the planes can fly themselves right now. It only remains for the use of the technology to be approved. The first self-flying planes will likely have a pilot in them so society can feel comfortable but that will pass. The next step will be unmanned planes. Then will come planes that are redesigned to maximize cargo space by totally eliminating the space and systems required to put humans in the cargo planes.

Reactions: OntarioVanMan

coalminer

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
In the end if given then choice between auto and manual mode, unless the computer will whip in and out of traffic, most of the morons on the road will think auto mode is too slow.

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver
Today I read about a Google driverless car that got stuck at a 4 way intersection, because it couldn't go until all the other cars stopped, but most of them kept inching forward - hilarious! How can artificial intelligence predict the illogical nature of humans?

Reactions: Deville

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
Notice that the article cited mentions Uber as one of the players in the autonomous vehicle arena. I believe that taxi cabs will be the first vehicles to use this technology in a big way. Riders now use their cell phones to summon a cab. Summoning a driverless cab will be done the same way.

After the early adopters take their first cab rides and live to tell about it, and the news reports are broadcast, trust in the technology will grow and the political and social barriers will be that much easier to overcome.

Cargo planes will be another area in which this technology is used. As FedEx chief Fred Smith says, the planes can fly themselves right now. It only remains for the use of the technology to be approved. The first self-flying planes will likely have a pilot in them so society can feel comfortable but that will pass. The next step will be unmanned planes. Then will come planes that are redesigned to maximize cargo space by totally eliminating the space and systems required to put humans in the cargo planes.

In a very controlled environment I can see this happening....they have the know how now....its just approval....

But something like a highway? so many variables...unless they are going to have a dedicated lane of travel from point A to point B....we've all seen the areas where they couple and uncouple triples at interchanges...

mjmsprt40

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I dunno--- there's something about the name of this thread that's a little unsettling.

I had a crash-a-car as a kid. You put the thing together, aimed it more or less at a fixed object, and when it hit powerful springs inside the car would make it fly apart. Put it back together and do it again. Great fun--- and of course the car was driverless since there's no way to squeeze even the tiniest human into it.

A full size driverless crash-truck??? They might want to re-name the thing. Just sayin'.

BigStickJr

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Really....A rolling road block at a few MPH?....But i see the accelerated movement in this technology...

They maybe doing all this testing but I still IMO say we won't see them in practical everyday situations.....afterall if you look at the airline industry and the railroad....pilotless planes have been available for quite awhile but they haven't cut loose the human string yet.....nor has the railroad and both of them operate in a very much controlled enviroment

There's another part of the controlled environment.
Both industries are heavily unionized.