Flat Rate for FedEx CC?

JoeS

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I don't want to get a controversy started with this thread folks. Being newbies we are just trying to find out what's the norm and what isn't?
Still curious as to what a flat rate will do to those of us in DR units who aren't O/Os is our biggest concern. How does a flat rate actually work? Is there any extra added if it is TVAL or HazMat or is it like SF and we would have to take that rate or leave it?

"Much ado about nothing"
Why worry about something that doesn't even exist? If (and I think that's a big "if") a flat rate is imposed on the WG fleet, you'll have plenty of time to check out the plan and decide if they coincide with your income goals.
Until then, just put your head down and move forward.

Reactions: Knvsmom

Knvsmom

New Recruit
Driver
Agreed butterfly. I darn sure won't take a HazMat load for some crappy rate. With all the paperwork, maybe placards, and even specific routes, that would not be worth it.
I keep seeing Expediter Services being mentioned. Is this company a good or bad thing when it comes to FedEx? Do they get 1st dibs on loads or preferential treatment?
Sorry, I know that is off topic so if someone could maybe point me to another thread that addresses them, I would appreciate it.

ATeam

Retired Expediter
Yes, it's true we have been off the road for a while. I offered the suggestion because, if it was us, we'd want to know for sure what's up before making decisions. I presume that an experienced contractor would know how to run an experiment as described above in circumstances in which information could be truly gained. Of course, it would not work with a shipper that had multiple shipments in a day or week. But there are circumstances in which it would work, and if one really wanted to verify what was up, it would be worth the time and fuel to find out.

NightDriver

Expert Expediter
Owner/Operator
Yes, it's true we have been off the road for a while. I offered the suggestion because, if it was us, we'd want to know for sure what's up before making decisions. I presume that an experienced contractor would know how to run an experiment as described above in circumstances in which information could be truly gained. Of course, it would not work with a shipper that had multiple shipments in a day or week. But there are circumstances in which it would work, and if one really wanted to verify what was up, it would be worth the time and fuel to find out.

Phil, no one here believes you would spend real money to test a theory like this.You have a category on your spreadsheet for "found money", for heavens sake. And truly, back when you drove for FedEx, you flapped the corporate pompoms wider and louder than anyone else here.

Why do you feel the need to stir the pot?

Reactions: TeamCaffee

ATeam

Retired Expediter
Phil, no one here believes you would spend real money to test a theory like this.You have a category on your spreadsheet for "found money", for heavens sake. And truly, back when you drove for FedEx, you flapped the corporate pompoms wider and louder than anyone else here.

Of course I would spend money to test a theory like this. If I suspected a company was cheating me out of a fair opportunity, and I had the ability to find out for sure by spending the money, absolutely I'd spend it. That does not mean I'd drive a day or hundreds of miles, but if it was within reason, absolutely I would. I would because I'd want to know the truth.

Yes, I was a big promoter of the company in question for most of the several years we ran with them. But when it became evident that the said-to-be-fair dispatch system had been undermined by a preferential dispatch system, we made the decision to leave soon after we knew that for sure. At that point, I stopped being a company promoter and became a company critic. I told the truth about our success and happiness with the company when the company treated us fairly. I continued to tell the truth when the company started treating us unfairly and gave us reason to leave.

That is not to say that the original poster is being treated unfairly. The purpose of my post was to simply suggest a way he could determine what was really going on. I don't take kindly to being lied to and cheated. If I was in his shoes, and if I felt suspicious about the loads in question, you can bet your bottom dollar that I'd act on the suspicion and spend the money to learn the truth. An unresolved issue that is left to fester only gets worse over time. The money would be well spent because it would help resolve the issue, one way or another.

la90043

Expert Expediter
Business is ruthless. Dog eat Dog. There are no favors. Bottom line on every job is money. Always be extremely well informed. Regardless within reason what it takes to find out the truth. 90% probability the job was taken by a lower rate or was given to a preferred vehicle/driver.

iceroadtrucker

Veteran Expediter
Driver
That's right all the Southern Fair Weather drivers AL GA SC NC TX LA AZ CA NV FL YA they will go home. Yes they will go Home. On another note CO drives deserve time off as well and anyone who dislikes some one running a Reefer Solo while Co driver is on Leave . Guess what he is human. For my self I stay out for my Better Half so she can get her OPERATIONS, They cost Money. I need not say more. Its not free. Enough said now get this Unite Running. Must I show my repose now give me what I want!!! Run me like you know what!!! Run RUN RUN RUN!

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver

I believe he would, because there's not much worse than suspecting someone you trust [to whatever degree] isn't worth it. You really want to know, one way or the other. If you're correct, you want to change things, and if you're wrong, it would be a relief to know it.
And yes, Phil did "flap the corporate pompoms", until he didn't, and he was up front about why he changed his mind. That makes it less 'stirring the pot' than 'been there, done that' advice. Isn't that what we're here for? [Besides the Soapbox, lol];)

Reactions: TruckingSurv
S

Sfsafds

I have noticed tons of loads at lower rates than when we started a year and a half ago. We've also been pretty slow and getting loads cancelled on us. We've had like three good loads cancel in two weeks.

butterfly610

Veteran Expediter
We had a few good weeks, but it's still just not that busy for us. Getting where we're afraid to turn down a not so great load just because we aren't getting many offers and some money is better than none. Is there a reason Tval is so slow lately?