Long road to a healthy me

beachbum

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Ever since the doctor said I was border line diabetic I've been on a health kick.

So far I've changed my eating habits and count back my calories to about 13 to 15 hundred a day sometimes less, which is bad.

I've taken to walking and now trying to run, but I look funny when I run, oh well that's life. Walking I now do 2 miles in 34 min. I mix run walk for 2 miles that takes on out 28 min. I go to the gym for upper body strength.

Food has gone from red meats to mostly chicken and fish with more veggies in the diet. Snacks are now veggies.

All the above things have got my weight down from 240 to 219 over the last 3 months. I hit the wall but it looks like changes are happening again. Still got 38 pounds to go still working on the belly
In a court of weeks I'm going to start aerobics classes. Now I know I'm going to look funny but I've have to change things up

Greg

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Sounds like you are heading in the right direction.
Thanks for the app suggestion. It looks interesting, I'm going to give it a try.

ATeam

Retired Expediter
Beachbum, I love the title of your post. Much wisdom there.

Too many people set goals that are unrealistically fast or depressingly big. You are doing two things right; (1) giving yourself time to achieve what you want to achieve and (2) defining yourself as a "healthy me."

People who define their fitness goals in terms of pounds, inches and time often fall into a self-reinforcing tail spin. When a setback or plateau occurs, the person tends to get down on one's self for failing, doing something wrong or being bad. That stress or bad feeling tends to focus one on coping strategies that are designed to help one feel better, not do better. Such strategies include cheat days, comfort food and choosing inactivity over exercise. Sadly, those strategies produce more pounds and inches, not less and the cycle repeats.

On the other hand, people who view themselves as a "healthy me," like you do, Beachbum, develop a self-acceptance and self-awareness that serves them well in their lifelong fitness journey. That attitude produces better feelings and better results now and long after the initial goals are reached.

The beauty of seeing yourself as a "healthy me" is that you do not have to wait until you lose 50 lbs. to be healthy. You can do healthy things this instant, not because of some distant goal, but because that's what healthy people do every day.

Keep leaning into it, my friend. You're on the right track!

beachbum

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I'm here at the LS Yard just outside of Dallas and I'm the only one that gets out and walks I also do some of the excersizes from sworkit app also do modified push-ups using the counter inside the drivers lounge.

Need to start aerobics classes at LA Fitness, but can't figure out witch class would be good for me, water, bike or step. Boot camp is out right now.

vandriver2

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I'm here at the LS Yard just outside of Dallas and I'm the only one that gets out and walks I also do some of the excersizes from sworkit app also do modified push-ups using the counter inside the drivers lounge.

Need to start aerobics classes at LA Fitness, but can't figure out witch class would be good for me, water, bike or step. Boot camp is out right now.
Try the Water or Bike...just a suggestion....easier on the Joints, so a friend tells me. Just like, walking is way better for your knees, ankles, hip joints than running/jogging...(the impact) You're inspiring! I'm going for a neighborhood bike ride tomorrow with a girlfriend (trying out her big-tires and raised, old-lady handle bars, as my skinny-tired, lower handle bars from the '90's bike isn't as comfortable)

beachbum

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I hit the scale today and I think I have finaly broke thru the 220 mark with a weight of 217.3 . After 3 days in Orlando at the BCO All Star celebration where the food and alcohol was flowing and I behaved myself by not eating to much food or drinking more then 2 glasses of red wine the last two nights. I did a little trick after dinner when everyone went to the hotel bar, I got the bartender to give me a glass of water in a mixed drink glass with some olives it made it look like I was drinking but wasn't, the olives came from my nieces suggestion when I had her on the phone, smart girl for just turning 21 the week before.

TeamCaffee

Administrator
Staff member
Owner/Operator
Beachbum you know what impresses me is that you did not give up! Great job at sticking with it and breaking through that barrier. See you at the Expo?

beachbum

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Thanks, I get most of my support from my niece and from some here.. Heck, Landstar will have a health pavilion at GATTS and they want me to talk to people about the changes I've made..

My next change is to put a set of Bowflex adjustable weights in the van for workouts so I can get rid of more belly fat.. With more muscle I'll lose weight slower, gain 3 pounds of muscle and lose 4 pounds of fat, I'll only have a 1 pound weight lose even tho I lost 4 pounds of fat.. Didn't think of that till I read it yesterday.

My rubber bands don't give me enough resistance for much muscle gain or toning, plus can't always get to gym.. so dumbbells for the van

beachbum

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
decided on resistance bands till I can afford the adjustable dumbbells, I bought the progym extreme by Go Fit. Cost was 50 bucks at Academy Sports.

Today I did some stretching then I did 30 minutes with the bands, then I took my normal 2 mile walk, which took 30 minutes, then back to the bands again for 18 minutes.. How sore I am right now from my head to my toes.. Good workout.

Now strenghting the body for more fat loss. Weight today 214.7 and going down. I know weight will come off slower since I'll be replacing fat with muscle. But that's okay because the main place I have fat is the stomach area, most other places on the body are sliming up as planed.

Reactions: Greg

Greg

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
this app should be downloaded for working out with out a gym

SWORKIT lite

Thanks for the tip on the Sworkit app. I've been using it since your recomendation. I really like the yoga and strength exercises. They have become part of my morning routine. I can do these right in the truck/ sleeper.

beachbum

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Well today was a day that was 4 months in coming, I now fit into large shirts and exercise cloths. Time for me to drop off cloths at the goodwill box or Salvation Army box.

Regular pants is down from 43 to about 38.

Next level is to get into medium shirts and cloths.

Weight as of today 211

beachbum

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Try this

Cucumber/Mango Salsa Recipe for Salmon

1 cucumber (seedless if you can get it)

1 mango

1 scallion

½ lime( juice of lime)

1 tbsp honey

1 tsp ginger(ground or real piece of ginger,I use ground)

1 tsp olive oil

S&P optional

Chop up ingredients except for lime. Add juice of lime ginger,honey and oil. See what that looks and tastes like and if you want you can add as you go more honey,oil and lime juice and ginger.

EnjoyJ

Hazardous

New Recruit
Driver
Congrats on the progress man! One app that my wife and I use for OTR is My Fitness Pal. REALLY helps you realize what you are eating lol. You can create meals, scan barca design and it tells you all the nutrients as daily and weekly totals (i.e. cholesterol, sodium, vitamins, ect). Hope this helps and keep getting it!