The NFL's New Extra Point Rule.

muttly

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
I don't like it. The NFL wanted more excitement so they figured they would make the extra point kick longer. Kicks are now 33 yarders. It's not a long kick, but it's not an 'automatic' kick either. If they thought the extra point kick was too boring a play, I have a couple suggestions instead.
1. Just make touchdowns 7 points without the necessary 1 point extra kick. That would eliminate the 'boring extra point play.' Additionally, Instead of a two point 'conversion', make it a one point bonus play. This can be executed by either a three yard play or a 52 yard kick. If the bonus play is unsuccessful however, the team loses a point.
OR
Keep the 'boring' extra point kick and add a couple of different options.
Make touchdowns worth 6 points with an extra point. Same as last year.
The extra point play is last year's extra point distance.( one point) The two point plays are either from the 3 yard line or a 52 yard kick. No loss of point for a failed two point play with this scenario.

After two shanked 33-yard PATs, are more missed extra points coming?

xiggi

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
The loss of point would never come into play. No one would ever attempt it except with very little time left when 1 point won't win or tie. You don't take points.off the board

muttly

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Probably right. Just thinking of a way to eliminate the short(so called boring) extra point kick. Most teams will just take the seven points. The option of a 3 yrd play or a 52 yrd kick would add a dimension of strategy and some excitement IMO. If a team has a great kicker who can make 50 ish yard kicks routinely, they might want to attempt the longer kick to get more points. Although the risk is that they might lose a point. But agree most coaches are conditioned to not take points off the board.

RoadTime

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Can add the Lions to their shank list. Suits are happy and grinning "see see, such excitement now" :rolleyes:

Reactions: muttly

muttly

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
The single extra point has always been an unnecessary play IMO. But adding the two point conversion a while back was a way to add excitement and strategy to the game. It helped teams that are trailing on the scoreboard to come back.
This mid range extra point will just make the kickers unnecessarily more visible(BORING)and disrupt the natural flow of the game.

muttly

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Can add the Lions to their shank list. Suits are happy and grinning "see see, such excitement now" :rolleyes:
Prater shanked one in preseason. I thought the kicker they just traded (Brindza) looked real good. Long field goals and kicked it in the end zone.
Should've kept him.

RoadTime

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Prater shanked one in preseason. I thought the kicker they just traded (Brindza) looked real good. Long field goals and kicked it in the end zone.
Should've kept him.

I think Brindza was the guy I saw kick it a couple of seats deep into the stands. Good luck returning that one :D
Since Hanson retired after 21 years, the Lions have not had the best of luck in selecting kickers, I guess they are a little rusty o_O

Reactions: muttly