Done went and did it

bigdogg

Expert Expediter
Owner/Operator
Wow, I have not seen a reply like that on here before. You just made my day. I know there are a lot of learning curves ahead, but I am persistent and I don't give up easily. I learn from my mistakes and I don't make the same one twice. I listen and observe everything, and I never think I can know too much. I also strive to do the best at whatever it is, you never know who may be watching or checking in on you. I was looking forward to coming back on here after being gone for so long, but did not expect all these great reply's. Now to get just get out there and walk the walk.

Hope to meet a bunch of ya's out on the road.

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter

bigdogg

Expert Expediter
Owner/Operator
I have a problem with reflux and don't want the surgery so I've slept in a recliner for a decade. In the van I used one of these which kept me off the floor and folded to be out of the way during loads. I had a Fantastic Fan in the ceiling and during warmer weather I would recline so my face was directly beneath the fan. That made it exponentially more comfortable.

http://www.campingworld.com/shopping/item/home-is-where-you-park-it-zero-gravity-recliner-navy/72910
I also have the reflux issue, but mine will go away after dropping 40 pounds. I just tried one of these recliners out at a Gander store. It was very comfortable, but I was afraid it might not be for long periods of time. If the air mattress fizzles, then I would definitely look into one. The one at gander also had a little padding to it. My wife loves using that word: exponentially. I gave her a hard time when she first used it on me, I had no clue.

Reactions: vandriver2

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
The one I used had one inch of memory foam padding. It was very comfortable and held up well. I should ideally lose around 75 pounds.

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
...weight restrictions might, put on a lot of weight sitting and typing with the wife, but should come off quickly getting out and about.
It's very tough to lose weight out on the road. You will get out and about but you would probably burn more calories sitting and typing than sitting and driving. I've been off since early May and lost 15 pounds. I eat less on the road but I also do less physical activity. I often stay at WalMarts and walk the perimeter. I usually get in 1 to 3 miles a day.

If you go the air mattress, get a decent self-inflating sleeping pad. Cabelas has a large one for about $90.

bigdogg

Expert Expediter
Owner/Operator
I ran 900 miles yesterday from Florida to Dayton Ohio. The instrument panel showed that I averaged 37 miles a gallon with me being emptied. It took me nearly 15 hrs to get here due to slow down in Cincinnati, which averages the speed out to 60 miles an hour. I was running with traffic and varied, but did get up around 75 and stayed there on cruise for a while. I am no mechanic, so don.t come at me wit a lot of questions like I have seen in other posts, I will just stare at the screen and not know what to reply. I have my orientation at 9 this morning, then have to head to Michigan to drop off some tables I had made, but will be ready to run after that. I hardly seen that many expediter vans coming up, until I hit Louisville, then holy crap, there were a bunch. You guys stay safe and will get back on here soon

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
This is not a dig at you, just at van computers which can be notoriously crazy. Unless you've got fuel receipts and odometer readings that support calculator arithmetic showing 37mpg I can't believe your dashboard at all. Well, I guess if a friendly hauler let you load on and ride a couple hundred miles in the middle the trip might average that high. If your receipts and real arithmetic truly show 37mpg then congratulations on both getting the very best PM they will ever build and exceptional driving skills. Good luck on your start.

Reactions: Ferris Bueller

bigdogg

Expert Expediter
Owner/Operator
This is not a dig at you, just at van computers which can be notoriously crazy. Unless you've got fuel receipts and odometer readings that support calculator arithmetic showing 37mpg I can't believe your dashboard at all. Well, I guess if a friendly hauler let you load on and ride a couple hundred miles in the middle the trip might average that high. If your receipts and real arithmetic truly show 37mpg then congratulations on both getting the very best PM they will ever build and exceptional driving skills. Good luck on your start.
You are oh so right on mileage. I get between 21 and 23 mpg. I have no idea what that Avg 45 on my screen stands for, I just get to look at it