Direct Tv in the Truck?

jhead64

Expert Expediter
Owner/Operator
Does anyone have direct tv service in their truck? We are thinking about switching to it at home and would like to use it in the truck as well if possible. What kind of receiver do you use in the truck? I've tried talking to Direct Tv but everyone I've talked to seems pretty clueless. I know its possible because I've seen others with it in their truck but unfortunately at the time I didn't ask any details on how they set it up.

I'm wondering if you would just need to use a Geniego, but not sure since I've never had satellite service before. Also, if you're trying to access the home dvr from the road, is it simply through the truck receiver or is internet service required as well?

Thanks for any help you can give me.

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
I have Dish Network. Works great, including accessing the home DVR. Can't give you any input on Direct TV. Wasn't long ago when you could not pick up HD channels with them, but I didn't know if that's still true or not, but I'd want to know for sure one way or the other.

butterfly610

Veteran Expediter
Direct tv, you can't get HD. Dish network is what we use and we added it to our home service for 7 bucks a month. Just bought a receiver for it at camping world.

jhead64

Expert Expediter
Owner/Operator
Turtle, are you saying that you can access your home dvr? How does that work?

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
It's an app (phone, tablet, computer web site) called Dish Anywhere, and uses the built in SlingPlayer on the Hopper (or a separate SlingPlayer of yours isn't built in) to let me control the DVR, including watching it, and even watch live TV from the Hopper at home on the phone. You can do that without having the satellite dish and receiver in the truck, though.