August in Load One Nation

Windsor

Veteran Expediter
Lunch at panda express...rice was burned, egg roll was cold and soggy and my orange chicken was 90% breading and 10% chicken. Very disappointed. Next time I'll try the panda instead.

Reactions: RoadTime

Steady Eddie

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Cool. Cool once again! When driving blows 40 degrees. Sitting still blows 42 degrees. Good enough. Yesterdays drive from Tennessee bout did me in. At least I'll be able to get a free shower. If I had my own towels. Was going to wash se but the hamper was empty. I guess thieves have towels now.

Reactions: xiggi

scottm4211

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Cool. Cool once again! When driving blows 40 degrees. Sitting still blows 42 degrees. Good enough. Yesterdays drive from Tennessee bout did me in. At least I'll be able to get a free shower. If I had my own towels. Was going to wash se but the hamper was empty. I guess thieves have towels now.
What was done to it?

Windsor

Veteran Expediter
Compressor.

Had transmission serviced, better seat cushion, one new glow plug , new flasher three hours labor. I got out the door for 220.00. I love my new best friend.
That's awesome, good for you. I need to get my ass there also.

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
I don't think I'm getting out for $220. Motor mounts are shot, so the engine is sitting there an inch or more too low,and it's leaning forward. Nothing lines up, including the fan carving out a perfect semi circle on the bottom of the shroud, the hoses don't fit right, the driveshaft is not lined up, basically everything that touches the engine.

And the stuff that's not supposed to touch the engine. Riding low caused the oil pan to rub the bracket for the power steering pump hose and wore a hole in the oil pan. The minor oil leak from the return line under the valve cover suddenly became a major oil leak.

Then there's the Black Death from injectors #2 and #3, which has to be cleaned up so he can remove all the injectors to remove the valve cover to get to the minor oil leak. Already we know two of the injectors can't be saved, but he's got a bunch of perfectly good used injectors laying around, so that's good.

All this on the heels of over the last 2 weeks replacing the belt tensioner and belt, fuel pump return line above the fuel tank, a new welded on piece of exhaust pipe to the muffler, fan clutch, water pump, alternator, and assorted hoses.

So probably not $220.

The water pump (and alternator, fan clutch and hoses) cost me 24 hours... while under a load. The customer was OK with it, but I'm not. I get physically ill when I break down while loaded. That's why I replaced the fan clutch and alternator even though they were still working, they were due sooner rather than later.

But he says I'll be back in the road tomorrow sometime, so that'll be good.

Steady Eddie

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I don't think I'm getting out for $220. Motor mounts are shot, so the engine is sitting there an inch or more too low,and it's leaning forward. Nothing lines up, including the fan carving out a perfect semi circle on the bottom of the shroud, the hoses don't fit right, the driveshaft is not lined up, basically everybody that touches the engine.

And the stuff that's not supposed to touch the engine. Riding low caused the oil pan to rub the bracket for the power steering pump hose and wore a hole in the oil pan. The minor oil leak from the return line under the valve cover suddenly became a major oil leak.

Then there's the Black Death from injectors #2 and #3, which has to be cleaned up so he can remove all the injectors to remove the valve cover to get to the minor oil leak. Already we know two of the injectors can't be saved, but he's got a bunch of perfectly for used injectors laying around, so that's good.

All this in the heels of over the last 2 weeks replacing the belt tensioner and belt, fuel pump return line above the fuel tank, a new welded on piece of exhaust pipe to the muffler, fan clutch, water pump, alternator, and assorted hoses.

So probably not $220.

The water pump (and alternator, fan clutch and hoses) cost me 24 hours... while under a load. The customer was OK with it, but I'm not. I get physically ill when I break down while loaded. That's why I replaced the fan clutch and alternator even though they were still working, they were due sooner rather than later.

But he says I'll be back in the road tomorrow sometime, so that'll be good.

So, 230.00? Lol good you are getting it fixed

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
Somebody was just in here a little while ago looking for an alternator for his 2014 Sprinter. Cheapest one Wayne could find is $1600, no aftermarket one yet available. That's $365 cheaper than a dealer.

Yeah, I wants to gets me one of them new Sprinters. :eek:

scottm4211

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Somebody was just in here a little while ago looking for an alternator for his 2014 Sprinter. Cheapest one Wayne could find is $1600, no aftermarket one yet available. That's $365 cheaper than a dealer.

It's good he finally answered your calls! Nice guy.

RoadTime

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator

That's just outrageous, but not really surprising for a $printer :(

Reactions: ntimevan

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
Most of it's routine. Was going to replace the fan clutch and alternator and belt tensioner in the next few weeks anyway, since those were about due.

But the worn out motor mounts caused a quite a bit of collateral damage. If you crank the engine with lots of revs and it rises up like it wants to torque right out of there, replace the mounts sooner rather than later. Trust me. The mounts are cheap at Rock Auto and Europarts (like $25 for each, you need 2) and it's about 2 hours labor to replace them.

At a dealer the mounts are $80 each and it's 4 hours labor.

Wayne is $100 plus parts. So there ya go.

Steady Eddie

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Alright. The first debate will be held in Cleveland. FINALLY a winner in Cleveland! I just can't believe it.